The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Flicker

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Flicker »

In stock, Hwaiyin (92,50) is reinforced by the "8th Providence Chinese Corps" on 15 Apr 43. No planes, must've been thinking of someplace else.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Flicker

In stock, Hwaiyin (92,50) is reinforced by the "8th Providence Chinese Corps" on 15 Apr 43. No planes, must've been thinking of someplace else.
Press the "4" on your keyboard to bring up the country codes. I am fairly sure that only country code 100 invasion brings Japanese reinforcements - Depot divisions of poor quality (half-trained army recruits). Not sure about air or ships reinforcements. In my game I have taken some of the islands next to Japan proper (with country code 101) and no reinforcements were triggered. Also note the Paramushiro Jima is a trigger point but the rest of the Kuriles are not.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

2/16/45

Malaya: The Allies take Kota Bharu.

Times sure have changed since December of 41!
alaviner

Post by alaviner »

CR - a few pages back you brought up an isolated grave you found in the college forest. As a you probably know as a forester yourself a small grave like that could be inadvertently defaced by harvesting operations. If you have not already, please make sure the forest manager is aware of this grave and that it is identified on forest maps and in the GIS system. We used to have many of these "special places" marked in our system when i worked for industry. I thank you for your care of this site and remains buried there.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Any thoughts of using airdropped mines on the ports in sthn Korea?
I would also think that keeping those ports out of service, and therefore his LCU out of supply, would be a high priority.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Any thoughts of using airdropped mines on the ports in sthn Korea?
I would also think that keeping those ports out of service, and therefore his LCU out of supply, would be a high priority.
Last I heard this was not effective because the enemy see you dropping the mines and immediately sweep them. It is also a dangerous mission for the bombers. It is probably OK for low-level ports lacking minesweepers, fighters and AA. Caveat - the prior statements were the gist of what I got from others who have done it, I have not tried aerial mining much.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Flicker

Post by Flicker »

Well, I have obviously been unclear. I'm trying to ask if Allied "reinforcements" arrived at the 'Base of Arrival' Hwaiyin (92,50), per the stock 'arrival schedule' ("View Intelligence Reports / Ground Reinforcement Schedule"). The "8th Provincial Chinese Corps" was scheduled to arrive on 15 Apr 43.

If the base is unavailable, I thought that the lcu would not arrive until the base was taken (becoming available).

Did the unit arrive?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Flicker

Well, I have obviously been unclear. I'm trying to ask if Allied "reinforcements" arrived at the 'Base of Arrival' Hwaiyin (92,50), per the stock 'arrival schedule' ("View Intelligence Reports / Ground Reinforcement Schedule"). The "8th Provincial Chinese Corps" was scheduled to arrive on 15 Apr 43.

If the base is unavailable, I thought that the lcu would not arrive until the base was taken (becoming available).

Did the unit arrive?
There is usually an alternate arrival base if the original is not available. The delay is usually less than a month. I am sure those troops would have shown up at Chungking or some other major base. At any rate (hey, that abbreviates aar!) Canoerebel can look at his unit list and tell you if the unit is on the map.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/17/45

KB South: It looks like John is detaching a carrier force to the DEI. This may allow him to deal with the "naked" Allied traffic serving the new beachhead at Patani or to give him at least the possibility of dealing with the LOC to Boela.

He probably figures he doesn't need all his carriers in the Home Islands, what with so many airfields there. To me, any enemy carrier not involved in a final showdown helps me that little bit. The game is about to crescendo in Korea, I think, but 300 enemy carrier planes will be in the Java Sea when that happens.

Attachments
021745KBSouth.jpg
021745KBSouth.jpg (312.4 KiB) Viewed 62 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/17/45

Funnel Cakes: A good day, as a small Allied detachment batters a Japanese division on Korea's east coast and as Allied air hits Keijo airfield hard. John is building a massive force in Korea. It's may be a violent campaign, but he has no hope of winning (despite massive advantage in ground troops) unless he takes control of the air lanes and sea lanes. So seeing KB South head south was great news.

Fancy Pants: Progress made in attacking at Tsinan today. Tomorrow, the first Allied attack at Canton takes place.

Attachments
021745F..elCakes.jpg
021745F..elCakes.jpg (886.51 KiB) Viewed 63 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/18/45

KB South: On the possibility that this carrier force is bound for the South China Sea, I'm re-routing a number of LST TFs and a couple of TFs with higher-value ships (APDs and LSDs).

Attachments
021845KBSouth.jpg
021845KBSouth.jpg (491.34 KiB) Viewed 62 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hmmm - choke points on both sides for Palawan and subs in the area .... LUCK!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/18/45

Fancy Pants & Funnel Cakes: The Allies take Canton and continue prep for the coming "end game" battles in Korea, North China, and over the Home Islands....all within the framework of being prepared for John's countermeasures.

Attachments
02 18 45 F..el Cakes.jpg
02 18 45 F..el Cakes.jpg (915.96 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

How many attacks in Canton do you think before this pocket is cleaned up? Once you free 5000 AV the IJ will have to invest more to keep pace. [:D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

It'll take awhile - perhaps two weeks? But I'll begin siphoning off units pretty quickly. I don't need all 5,000 AV to handle Canton.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

John just sent the new turn with one of the strangest email messages he's ever included. This was the entirety of it: "Take this bad boy and good luck with it."

In all the years I've played with him, I haven't seen something like this before. It's not clear whether he's referring to this turn, but my hunch is that he isn't. I think this is tantamount to announcement that something big is in the offing, probably for the following turn.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John just sent the new turn with one of the strangest email messages he's ever included. This was the entirety of it: "Take this bad boy and good luck with it."

In all the years I've played with him, I haven't seen something like this before. It's not clear whether he's referring to this turn, but my hunch is that he isn't. I think this is tantamount to announcement that something big is in the offing, probably for the following turn.
I agree with your assessment of the meaning of that message. "Bad boy" is typical John language for having put together a powerful force somewhere.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I agree with your assessment of the meaning of that message. "Bad boy" is typical John language for having put together a powerful force somewhere.
Where? John has run out of places to fight and his chances of putting together a meaningful surprise are nil. It's the Kaiserschlacht, The German Spring Offensive of 1918. Everyone knows it's coming and it going to be everything. Tighter your helmet strap, hunker down and let him huff and puff until he finds the brick house and then roll him up after he has exhausted himself. Where can he push you back to? Prepare to play defense for 20 turns and then it is over.
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/19/45

Fancy Pants: Allied 2:1 attack almost takes Tsinan.

Funnel Cakes: Gunzan airfield went to 7 and Allied sweeps and B-24Js hit Keijo airfield and CAP effectively.

Attachments
021945F..elCakes.jpg
021945F..elCakes.jpg (465.64 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

OT

On my wife's side, the extended family - from Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Illinois and Georgia - gathered Friday evening at the old home place in rural Georgia. With a few exceptions, there were really two age groups present - those in their 50s and those in their 20s and early 30s. That led to an interesting discussion about generational gaps in knowledge. I brought up one name: Typhoid Mary. Every person in the 50s age group had at least heard of Typhoid Mary. Not a single member of the 20s/30s group had, and this included an Air Force Academy graduate (and currently a member of the faculty).

I bet most of you guys have heard of Typhoid Mary. But here's a question: Has John Dillworth been to the place here ashes were buried/disposed of?

Return to “After Action Reports”