A Perfect Solution

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

DeriKuk

A Perfect Solution

Post by DeriKuk »

In a recent experience:
Finland and Russia … DE 204

If the Anglo-French expedition succeeds in stopping the Soviet aggression (50%), then Finland will swing 25-35% towards the Allies. [Good] It also swings the USSR 8-12% towards the Axis. [REALLY, REALLY BAD] Why? The USSR’s MPP output falls down into the single digits (at one point it was down to 4 … before expenses). This persisted for almost a year of turns, so there was NO USSR research or significant production going on, and in the current Research model the USSR gets no Catch Up Bonus, and does not share any research with the other Allies … even when active. I spent 125 [scarce] UK MPPs on diplomacy in a desperate attempt at reviving the USSR’s MPP production. It worked … two turns before the Axis launched Barbarossa.

I am not complaining ... simply pointing out how disastrous THE COST of SUCCESS was in terms of USSR MPPs. In my inexperience I did not know how bad the collapse in USSR production would be; so the costs completely outweighed any proportional advantages. If players know about this cost in DE 204, the logical course of action is ‘NO’ ... so the DE becomes a Non-Event. No sane, experienced player will choose it. ‘NO’ becomes a perfect solution.

KorutZelva

RE: A Perfect Solution

Post by KorutZelva »

Yeah... It should take Finland to something like 50% allies. Too far to make it worth for Germany to swing it back Axis. And probably too far for allies to make it worth to make them into combatants.
Harrybanana

RE: A Perfect Solution

Post by Harrybanana »

My personal view is that, for Russia at least, there needs to be 2 numbers. The first is it's mobilization % number that determines it MPPS. The second is its "Leaning" % number that controls how close it is to joining the Allies. So, for example, if the Allies support Finland this would increase Russia's mobilization % as Russia gears up for a more protracted war in Finland than it expected. But it would also decrease significantly ite Leaning towards joining the Allies. So it gets higher production but will enter the War later; unless, of course, Germany DOWs it. This will give the Axis more time to concentrate on the UK.
Robert Harris

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”