Scrolling key Issue -- can't stop scrolling

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
jzardos

Scrolling key Issue -- can't stop scrolling

Post by jzardos »

I've seen an interesting issues that I didn't see before the patch. Not sure if it's related. When I use the arrow keys to scroll, there seems to be a chance it can lock and keep scrolling until hits the edge of the map. No other scrolling key will work and I can't stop it. Have tried closing down TOAW IV and restarting the game, but still has the same issue. It's now happened twice, once with the right scroll key and the just now with the down arrow key. The only remedy I've found so far is to restart my computer. The scenario I'm playing, if it matters, is Directive 21.

Anybody seen this issue occur?

thanks
gbaby

RE: Scrolling key Issue -- can't stop scrolling

Post by gbaby »

No, not at all. If you restart the app and it continues, it may indicate your keyboard or whatever you were using sent an incorrect sequence to the OS key buffer and the only way to clear it is to reset your OS.

I've had this happen on a peripheral that I have had programmed keys and it did this intermittently. I stopped using it.

Not saying your keyboard or whatever your using for directional key entry has a problem, but you might want to investigate that.

Resetting the app and it still sticks around is a clue. When this occurs, have you opened another app like an editable text file and see if the cursor keys are still misbehaving?

I've been using TOAW everyday for multiple hours a day (retired life) and never had an issue like this. I use a programmed keypad to the left of my keyboard and constantly use it to scroll TOAW map.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

No, not at all. If you restart the app and it continues, it may indicate your keyboard or whatever you were using sent an incorrect sequence to the OS key buffer and the only way to clear it is to reset your OS.

I've had this happen on a peripheral that I have had programmed keys and it did this intermittently. I stopped using it.

Not saying your keyboard or whatever your using for directional key entry has a problem, but you might want to investigate that.

Resetting the app and it still sticks around is a clue. When this occurs, have you opened another app like an editable text file and see if the cursor keys are still misbehaving?

I've been using TOAW everyday for multiple hours a day (retired life) and never had an issue like this. I use a programmed keypad to the left of my keyboard and constantly use it to scroll TOAW map.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Yes, have checked that there is not an issue with the key stroke by opening a text editor. I've never seen this issue with my computer/keyboard before. Have had this setup for 3 years now. I'm very sure it's related to TOAW, just not sure how to 100% prove it and fix it without a computer restart [&:]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Guys, I used to be a computer geek and the clue is TOAW.
If it starts when you are using TOAW and keeps going
after you close TOAW down then it's something besides TOAW
that's causing it, probably your keyboard. This issue
happened to me about a month ago and I traced it to my
keyboard, changed out the keyboard, the problem went away.
I'm just saying.........
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Wow - that's something [:D]

It actually reminds me of when I worked on remapping the arrow keys to WASD. At times the Left Arrow key (mapped to A) would just lock up. I think maybe there might be some code for keyboard detection timings that might be wonky somewhere in the code, just guessing. Something sure makes TOAW4 behave different than other Windows apps.

So yeah I don't think it's your keyboard either.

However it sucks you have to actually reboot your computer. Does it really lock up that bad?
I mean TOAW4 just runs in a window, and pressing ALT+F4 should quit the game. But if it's totally locked up you might not be able to quit that way either.

When it happens again, use Ctrl-Alt-Del, open the Task Manager, select the TOAW4 process and press Del to force terminate it. Or right-click on the Task Bar and open Task Manager. Or even try Ctrl+Shift+ESC to do the same.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Wow - that's something [:D]

It actually reminds me of when I worked on remapping the arrow keys to WASD. At times the Left Arrow key (mapped to A) would just lock up. I think maybe there might be some code for keyboard detection timings that might be wonky somewhere in the code, just guessing. Something sure makes TOAW4 behave different than other Windows apps.

So yeah I don't think it's your keyboard either.

However it sucks you have to actually reboot your computer. Does it really lock up that bad?
I mean TOAW4 just runs in a window, and pressing ALT+F4 should quit the game. But if it's totally locked up you might not be able to quit that way either.

When it happens again, use Ctrl-Alt-Del, open the Task Manager, select the TOAW4 process and press Del to force terminate it. Or right-click on the Task Bar and open Task Manager. Or even try Ctrl+Shift+ESC to do the same.

Well it doesn't lock up the computer just whichever arrow is affected seems to scroll as if depressed. Once it gets to the edge of the map, I have control again. When situation exists I have experimented with the affected key in other apps and can't see the issue. Only displayed in TOAW IV. Once again I understand the hardware here and have never seen this issue before.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Hey Guys, I used to be a computer geek and the clue is TOAW.
If it starts when you are using TOAW and keeps going
after you close TOAW down then it's something besides TOAW
that's causing it, probably your keyboard. This issue
happened to me about a month ago and I traced it to my
keyboard, changed out the keyboard, the problem went away.
I'm just saying.........

Let me clarify. Yes it keeps going when I re-open TOAW IV, but still doesn't happen in other apps. I'm not sure what might be in memory related to TOAW and the affect key after the app is closed, but I can tell you the situation exists. Didn't see any other related TOAW processes running. Will admit this is very odd.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”