Civil war battles

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jafele

Civil war battles

Post by Jafele »

I´m planning to buy a Tiller´s civil war title in christmas.

Which one would you recommend me?

Thanks in advance
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Yogi the Great

RE: Civil war battles

Post by Yogi the Great »

Well the new Campaign Petersburg has some nice improvements some in AI and especially in the graphics and map.

However some would be happier with a well known battle rather than the ending trench warfare of the war. Would be nice if they could have the new improvements though.

Of the older offerings you might like Antietam, I found that Shiloh was one of the best offerings.

btw for a very good and more realistic battle system you could try Brother against Brother offered by Matrix and get the Holiday savings as well. It does require a bit more effort to learn the system.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Which campaign interests you the most? That's where I would start.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Which campaign interests you the most? That's where I would start.

No preferences. A title with loads of balanced scenarios would be great for me.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

If cost is a consideration, John Tiller's Battleground Civil War is on sale for $9.99 U.S. during the Matrix Holidays Sale (.pdf).
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
operating

Post by operating »

It depends if you want a RT (real time) or turn based game? HPS/J Tiller games are turn based, but in SP they are lacking a decent AI as mentioned in prior post, however if you just want to kill some time they are OK. I follow Yogi's posts about the new J Tiller game hoping to read something positive in a big way.. SOW (Scourge of War) has a number of great CW RT games, the same dev did an earlier project called TC2M (Take Command second Manassas) one of my favorites. GG's WBTS (War Between the States) turn based WEGO system was OK just was not fond of the simulated battles or rather auto-resolve battles, always felt like a by-stander when it came to the action. Like all the games suggested or going to be suggested, there is something to be learned from each one.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

As discussed in another thread ACW is Tiller's weakest series of games. I booted up Waterloo, and it had no immersion whatsoever. Petersburg may have some minor graphics improvements.

I would strongly agree with poster Operating above. The SoW Gettysburg Collector's edition is a fabulous buy at $30 right now. It's ridiculous to dump $40 on a 1999 ACW game like Tiller's, imo. And I like Tiller/HPS games, but not ACW.

Return to “General Discussion”