Casualties Report?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
jzardos

Casualties Report?

Post by jzardos »

Is there a report I can view that shows me total turn and total scenario loses for both sides?
Meyer1

RE: Casualties Report?

Post by Meyer1 »

Not for the enemy without cheating [:)]
If you don`t have a problem with that you could take control of the PO side and look at their inventory and replacement report.
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

At the end of the scenario, win or lose, you can select an enemy unit and look at the "inventory and replacements briefing" like you can do for your side. It will report total losses for the scenario.

And as Meyer1 pointed out, you can do it mid-scenario as well, but it involves turning off the AI (setting to two human player) and doing the same thing, looking at replacement panel. Of course, this reveals more than losses (and current on hand), it shows all of enemies units, which is of course cheating. Unless you don't use fog of war, but who doesn't use that?

PS: Of course, the game will have ended and the last turn (total turns) is also displayed on top of unit panel and elsewhere.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

This is too bad. I think these types of reports, even if not 100% accurate for the enemy, should be available for this kind of game. In all battles/wars, each side had numbers for the enemies loses and prisoners taken.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

YES it is available for most titles. Certainly for WITE/W.
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

I'm not understanding the dissatisfaction here. Every battle gets a report showing disabled and destroyed numbers, for friendly and enemy. This gives you an idea how things are going.

You can check your own totals at any time. You can check totals for both sides at end of battle. I think this is more than sufficient.

But, to each their own.

In the end, I would suggest just enjoy slaughtering your foes to victory and hold off counting the number of heads on poles! May your numbers always cause you reason to celebrate. Pass the wine.

IainF

Post by IainF »

I'm really sorry but could both jzardos and ballyhoo please get their heads round the fact that this IS A DIFFERENT GAME to other games so it will be, well, different to them - it was also around long before those others so give it a break chaps eh. Seriously, all this constant moaning and sniping is getting right on my thrupennies.

Here's an idea, if you don't like what others have done, YOU make a game that meets your own specific needs as this one obviously aint doing it for you.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: jzardos

This is too bad. I think these types of reports, even if not 100% accurate for the enemy, should be available for this kind of game. In all battles/wars, each side had numbers for the enemies loses and prisoners taken.

You have a plethora of reports you can go over. In the loss report alone you get the numbers of enemy equipment involved. The numbers of enemy equipment destroyed. The numbers of enemy equipment damaged. Whether or not the enemy has replacements available for those equipments. You have unit names. You have more information than any commander ever had any right to expect. Exactly how do you have a problem with this? I don't know what more you want since everything is right there! [8|]

If you want to dig deeper there is this:

There are a number of files (Sitrep Log, .csv file,
TOAW Log) that store combat result information.
There is a user-made program available that
processes the .csv information.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

In fact I think there's too much info on the enemy as it is [:)]
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

Frankly I don't understand certain harsh replies... a game can get better, I agree with the op : It would be very useful (also for "immersion purpose") at the end of each scenario have a final report of both casualties, expecially if I was able to encircle and completely destroy some enemy units. Cheating has really nothing to do with that.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: TDefender

Frankly I don't understand certain harsh replies... a game can get better, I agree with the op : It would be very useful (also for "immersion purpose") at the end of each scenario have a final report of both casualties, expecially if I was able to encircle and completely destroy some enemy units. Cheating has really nothing to do with that.

That's already there. But at the end of the scenario, not in the middle.
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

At the same time, because detailed losses are shown for individual combats a sufficiently CDO (like OCD, except the letters are in the proper alphabetical order) player could maintain a running tally in a spreadsheet or even on a sheet of paper, there's no reason why it shouldn't be available in mid-game. Other than Ralph's todo list being longer than his available time to work on the game anyway. :D
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

At the same time, because detailed losses are shown for individual combats a sufficiently CDO (like OCD, except the letters are in the proper alphabetical order) player could maintain a running tally in a spreadsheet or even on a sheet of paper, there's no reason why it shouldn't be available in mid-game. Other than Ralph's todo list being longer than his available time to work on the game anyway. :D
Can`t deny the logic [:)]
I would go to the opposite direction tough, I think enemy losses report should be subject to Fog of war settings and as such, little to greatly exaggerated.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Uncle Larry had a nice tool created that reads out the combat losses per rounds that can be, as Lobster mentioned, reviewed in a .CSV file.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
Uncle Larry had a nice tool created that reads out the combat losses per rounds that can be, as Lobster mentioned, reviewed in a .CSV file.
Yeah but my old computer crashed and took my files with it. That tool may not have worked for TOAW IV anyway. And I'm having so
much fun playing four PBEM's that I'm not sure I can squeeze in some code writing. How about we ask somebody else? Also, I wrote it in
Java so you would need that package on your computer to run it and not everybody wants to put Java on their machine. It's a tool whose
time had come and and gone.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Yeah but my old computer crashed and took my files with it. That tool may not have worked for TOAW IV anyway. And I'm having so
much fun playing four PBEM's that I'm not sure I can squeeze in some code writing. How about we ask somebody else? Also, I wrote it in
Java so you would need that package on your computer to run it and not everybody wants to put Java on their machine. It's a tool whose
I still got it :D

Just testing with some TOAW IV sitreps...

With your permission, I will post the download link here later, ja?

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (152.55 KiB) Viewed 190 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

We already get that and more. [;)]

I think the .csv files and TOAW log have a blow by blow account don't they? Don't recall for sure.

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I still got it :D

Just testing with some TOAW IV sitreps...

With your permission, I will post the download link here later, ja?

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
ScreenHunt..2807.59.jpg
ScreenHunt..2807.59.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 185 times
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey cool.....I can get a copy of my battle reporter thingie from you. Who would have though it?
Yeah, by all means post that link. Thanks. And I'm glad to see it works for TOAW IV.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74qu75cvzopsy ... r.zip?dl=0

Klink, Oberst

Note: It will of course use the old TOAW III icons, but heck... it reads out the .CSV from the SitRep logs fine.
My Blog & on Twitter.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”