Buy WITE on sale or wait

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

downtown

Buy WITE on sale or wait

Post by downtown »

With the Holiday sale underway, I was wondering if I should pick up WITE now or wait until WITE2 is released. Also I just bought TOAW IV and I am getting into that as time allows. Is WITE worth owning even if I don't play the campaigns? I only see myself playing the "small" scenarios (if there are any). It will be a couple of years at least until I retire and have more time to play.

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.
Psych0

RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait

Post by Psych0 »

If you play it, it's worth the full price. If you play it later, then wait for WITE2 I'd say.

What's TOAW4 like? Heard good things about it.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

WITE 2.0 is still about a year or so away. It would be worth it to get WITE now at the sale price. You should also look at WITW as the air war and supply system used in that will be used in WITE 2.0 and that is an improvement over WITE.
Balou

Post by Balou »

Why buying WitE despite WitE 2.0 beeing much more similar - from my understanding - to WitW ?
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
morvael

Post by morvael »

So you would have something to do for many months to come? There is still no official release date for WitE2.

Best of both worlds is to get into WitE2 beta team [:)]
Balou

Post by Balou »

To me it seems "WitW-training" makes more sense if one wants to get ready for WitE 2.0
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
downtown

Post by downtown »

Thanks, guys. I have WITW so I guess my best bet is to pick it back up again and save my cash for WITE2. I am also getting into TOAW IV so I have plenty to keep me busy.

topeverest

Post by topeverest »

WITE is an outstanding simulation. Utility per game dollar spent is off the charts. This game is worth every penny and then some.

But kiss our life goodbye!

Andy M
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: topeverest

WITE is an outstanding simulation. Utility per game dollar spent is off the charts. This game is worth every penny and then some.

But kiss our life goodbye!

Agree 110%
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

In WitP you'll need two lives to play grand campaign to the end for both sides .....
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

ORIGINAL: Balou

Why buying WitE despite WitE 2.0 beeing much more similar - from my understanding - to WitW ?

Well, because... WitE is an historical conflict simulation (with apologies to those who would say 'simulation' is an incorrect word to use). I have read a lot about Barbarossa and the Eastern Front in WW II and playing WitE certainly aids in an understanding of just how titanic a conflict the German-Soviet war actually was. As an American, it is my honest view that the "Eastern Front" is horribly, terribly under-appreciated.

On a personal note, I was simply appalled when some Western personages failed to show at the annual Russian Victory Day parade in Moscow, as has been customary to do for decades! [:@] That was seriously neither cool nor called for, IMO.

What I mean to say is that getting WitE now will cut down on some learning curve nearly as much as familiarizing with the WitW mechanics. Unless you are already well-versed on the Eastern Front.
downtown

Post by downtown »

Ok..now you have me teetering back and forth....what's a guy to do? I suppose if I get the game I should also get the 2 expansions as well...they are half price too!

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

If you plan on playing just the non-campaign scenarios, then yes, you'll want to get the expansions. In the expansions you've got a lot of small and medium scenarios. Drama on the Danube is one of my all time favorite scenarios (covers the Romanian surrender and Soviet drive through Hungary).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

In my opinion WITE is the best strategic WW2 game I have ever played my some margin.

Yes, WITW has a better air war, and a better logistics system. But it is modelling two campaigns, neither of which has the depth of WITE. The strategic bombing campaign works well but to me it is just not that exciting, playing to gain VPs instead of territory. The ground campaign is mostly fought on a restricted front, interesting in itself but there are not that many strategic decisions to make and much of the time the progress is quite linear. Personally I would put it technically above but enjoyment level similar to the best of other games I have played.

With WITE there is a wide range of strategic choices for both players and so a huge variation in how it plays out every game. In the campaign both sides have two periods to attack and two to defend (summer '41; blizzard; summer '42...; later game). At the tactical level the game is great fun to play, there is space for sweeping moves and the same sort of intricacy of combat that WITW has.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

"With WITE there is a wide range of strategic choices for both players and so a huge variation in how it plays out every game. In the campaign both sides have two periods to attack and two to defend (summer '41; blizzard; summer '42...; later game). At the tactical level the game is great fun to play, there is space for sweeping moves and the same sort of intricacy of combat that WITW has."

Well stated. I'm old enough to say that I was one of the original buyers of Simulation Publications War In The East back in the 1970s. Loved that game. But the current WITE is so far beyond that you can't really make a comparison.

Still a newbie here. Did one 42 campaign as the Axis that we ended in '44 when I lost the entire Romanian Army because I neglected to occupy Bucharest. Currently in a 41 Campaign game (Nov '42) and have learned a lot. Enjoying it immensely.

I would say get WITE now and start learning. It will take less time to ramp up when WITE 2 comes out.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”