Opinions on best Napoleonic tactical or operational game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rjantzi

Opinions on best Napoleonic tactical or operational game

Post by rjantzi »

I'm looking for a good tactical or operational level Napoleonic game. I thought SOW might fill the bill but there seems to be as many negative reviews/comments as positive. I'm open for suggestions as to which game(s) I should be considering.
Jafele

RE: Opinions on best Napoleonic tactical or operational game

Post by Jafele »

Waterloo is an excellent game. Tiller games are easy to learn but difficult to master. Furthermore, there are many other titles in this serie. I also recommend you BPW, rought terrain makes it so replayable.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

Thanks for the reply. I'll spend some time looking at those.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

There´s a Waterloo demo here called "The final struggle". And 83 additional scenarios here (Waterloo Expansion pack).

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

Just took a quick look at the Tiller website. There's a lot of content there to review. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: rjantzi

I'm looking for a good tactical or operational level Napoleonic game. I thought SOW might fill the bill but there seems to be as many negative reviews/comments as positive. I'm open for suggestions as to which game(s) I should be considering.

if you are looking for an operational game then 'Campaigns on the Danube' to me captures the essence of the era. The way it integrates Fog of War, orders, supply bases, even the location of your hospitals is brilliant and in turn sheds a lot of light on why certain campaigns unfolded the way they did.

At the moment the game system only covers the 1805 and 1809 struggles between Austria and France but there are promises of it being extended to the 1806-7 wars and 1812-13.
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

How do the games available on the Tiller site differ from the Battleground Series still available on Matrix? Just newer and improved or are they basically the same games? I'm seeing the "John Tiller’s Battleground Napoleonic Wars" on sale on Matrix and wondering how different the versions are on the Tiller site.

Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Not the same games. Battlegrounds are a different older serie (from the 90s).

Battlegrond gaphics and UI are really dated. Furthermore you´ll probably have issues with the screen resolution. It´s a good game and cheap but might be a risky option for your eyes [:D].

Being sincere Waterloo graphics are not the best of the best, however there are quite a few mods out there to make it "good looking".

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

I'd second the recommendation for the new John Tiller games. I don't think you'll find a better set of battefield games. You can find the one campaign that interests you the most and know you'll have a plethora of scenarios that run the gamut from small to large. There is a large PBEM community as well. I will caution though that these don't have great AI's though there has been more effort to include more scenarios designed for solo play
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If you have DosBox or D-Fend Reloaded then you'll want "Battles of Napoleon" best Napoleonic game to me ever produced. It even has a battle generator to make what if scenarios that you can do any part of and the computer will finish it. It's by SSI and I'm sure you can find it with google.
PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ORIGINAL: rjantzi

Get 'Napoleon Total War Collection', it's currently only 4.99 GB pounds (about 7 US dollars) on Steam and I'm downloading it now because at that price we can't go wrong..:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34030 ... Total_War/

I've already got 'Empire Total War' which mainly covers the 1700's and like it a lot, so NapTotWar will take me into the 1800's.
Remember, you DON'T have to play big campaigns (I never do), because I prefer playing individual battles at the tactical level and zoom right down there to rub shoulders with my men, heck I might even bump into Sharpe himself..:)

"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I would recommend Tiller's Leipzig or Marengo. Almost all the other Nappy games have not been updated hardly at all from the HPS versions. If you look at the Tiller readme files, you can see how little has been done with them so far.

Operationally, there is Paradox March of the Eagles, which you can get very cheap on Steam for one, I am sure. It looks like Crusader Kings II, meaning both beautiful and complex. Lots of historical detail and leaders, but I cannot vouch for the AI in the game. Unlike the Europa series, this one concentrates mostly on combat and not on politics, intrigue, etc.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Well I just downloaded 'Napoleon Total War Collection' from Steam and it runs like a dream, one thing I especially like is that you can build your own battles with just a few mouse clicks to any size and length you like, from a couple of units of say just 50 men in a 20-minute game to an entire army of several thousands with no time limit..:)
"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

Am a really fan of the Battles of Napoleon;

i used to play IBM SCENARIOS DISK FOR SSI'S battles of napoleon

- Maida, Austerlitz, Utitsa, Marengo, Redoubt for only 35$..but is more..more than..35 battles yes..of Napoleon...and 40 revolutionary war battles.

(soory not found any on YouTube) to link.

Epsilon Eridani

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Zecke

- Maida, Austerlitz, Utitsa, Marengo, Redoubt for only 35$..but is more..more than..35 battles yes..of Napoleon...and 40 revolutionary war battles.

+1
i still have the 5.25" floppies and a Win95 PC to play it on.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

The only thing I'm sure of is that Bonaparte was a better general than Napoleon.
So my question is:
When is a game about Bonaparte?
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

ORIGINAL: rico21

The only thing I'm sure of is that Bonaparte was a better general than Napoleon.
So my question is:

I don't know... Austerlitz was a master piece campaign.
Rod T DeMore
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
ORIGINAL: Zecke
+1
i still have the 5.25" floppies and a Win95 PC to play it on.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
rico21

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder
ORIGINAL: rico21

So my question is:

I don't know... Austerlitz was a master piece campaign.
Napoleon, as general-in-chief of the armies, has all the resources he deems necessary. Bonaparte, as general of the Republic, has only the forces allocated to him.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I will have to add Crown Of Glory to this growing list. A bit old, perhaps, but still a great game.
A Sharif

Return to “General Discussion”