Bacon Mining Company - a Bacon Mod Scenario

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

RogerBacon

Bacon Mining Company - a Bacon Mod Scenario

Post by RogerBacon »

You’re not an empire. You’re not a pirate. You are the CEO of a small startup mining company. Welcome to the Bacon Mining company!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg0r7buisvvmw ... y.dwg?dl=0

Requirements:
Bacon Mod version 1.52 or higher
Beyond Extended Universe Alpha Mod (merged text files for this mod are available in the Bacon Mod thread.

Installation
Under Customization\Beyond Extended Universe Alpha create a directory called “Maps” and place the file there.

Special thanks to Osito for his post explaining how to make a scenario. It is surprising more people haven’t made them.

Description
The goals of this scenario are as follows:
1 Survive 50 years
2 Mine 3,000,000+ resources
3 Have fun

The Bacon Mining company is a small startup mining company on an asteroid. You have 30,000 common stock investors (Public sector) and a small group of partners and preferred stock investors (State sector). The system you have set up your HQ in is very rich with numerous asteroids with many strategic resources. Some asteroids even have pockets of gases on them.

The Bacon Mining company is strictly a sublight organization. There is no ruin with precursor technology on it. Once you have mined 3,000,000 resources or 50 years passes use the editor to unlock the first hyperjump tech if you haven’t already stolen or gotten it any other way.

Start by building mining ships and gas mining ships. These as well as freighters are going to be your main ships. Don’t worry about warships. You won’t be able to afford them. Remember you can arm all of your ships with up to 10 weapons if you really need to.
Pay off ALL pirates. You really have no choice. Fortunately, your company is so pathetic all the pirates will probably only charge around 16 credits a month for protection.
Your common stock investors build things EXTREMELY slowly and they won’t even start until they see a positive cash flow which will take many years. Concentrate on construction ships. Your preferred stock partners build much quicker.
Your ship maintenance is much lower than normal. Your people work for free as they are investors. You only have to pay for physical maintenance of the ships and bases.
Your science ships are your main form of research. However there is a limited amount of scientific data in your system. (A lot, but still finite). Prioritize what you research and concentrate on just a few important projects. Energy collectors and fighters are probably the most important.
A few bomber bases strategically deployed can cover the entire system and they are fairly cheap.

Making money
You are a mining company so it’s probably not surprising that you make money by… wait for it… wait for it… MINING!
In addition to selling ore to the independents you can sell to empires and even pirates using the following procedure.
For empires, use the ctrl-T to add a ship to the trade list. If you add a ship with cargo the price will include the value of the cargo. This is the same as usual with the Bacon mod. However, you will get more money from ore than a large empire because you don’t have as much red tape and bureaucracy.
To sell to pirates use the menu for “give”. The pirates will automatically buy whatever you are selling. However, you have to remember that pirates with poor relations will pay less than empires or pirates with good relations to your company. This will be your only way of selling until you mean an empire.

There's probably stuff I'm forgetting. Ask questions if you have any.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
titus1

RE: Bacon Mining Company - a Bacon Mod Scenario

Post by titus1 »

I wanted something like this for a long time [&o]
How many research ships to have?
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

Was looking forward to trying this, but the Beyond Extended Universe Alpha Mod has a broken link. [:(] Can't download...
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: titus1

I wanted something like this for a long time [&o]
How many research ships to have?

Good question. The more you have the faster you will research but the faster you will use up your scientific data (acquired by surveying planets and asteroids). I usually go between 3-6. Be careful not to lose one because any unused scientific data on a science ship that is destroyed is lost forever.
Also, in the baconSettings.txt file I increased my researchPerLab from the default 1000 to 2000 for this scenario. I forgot to mention that above.
ORIGINAL: StarLab

Was looking forward to trying this, but the Beyond Extended Universe Alpha Mod has a broken link. [:(] Can't download...

It must have been temporary. Try again. I just downloaded it (including the music packs which I hadn't downloaded before).
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

OK, I only had time to play through this once before releasing it. In that playthrough I had a pretty easy time. I just played it again and got my butt kicked. If you find it too hard, give yourself a construction ship at the start of the game. I actually meant to include one but must have overlooked it.
titus1

Post by titus1 »

Maybe you should add intelligence agents? In my play-through I kept getting my port blown up and couldn't do very much after a point.

Also, I can't give transports to pirates by right clicking> give to. I get this:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.FindResalePriceOfShip(BuiltObject ship, Empire buyer)
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconMain.HandleToolstripClick(ShipAction action)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_347(ShipAction shipAction_1, Boolean bool_28)
at DistantWorlds.Main.actionMenu_ItemClicked(Object sender, ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.OnDropDownItemClicked(ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.DropDown_ItemClicked(Object sender, ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnItemClicked(ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnItemClicked(ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.HandleItemClick(ToolStripItem dismissingItem)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The same with adding things to the trade window.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: titus1

Maybe you should add intelligence agents? In my play-through I kept getting my port blown up and couldn't do very much after a point.

Also, I can't give transports to pirates by right clicking> give to. I get this:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.FindResalePriceOfShip(BuiltObject ship, Empire buyer)
The same with adding things to the trade window.

Adding an agent with a high level of counter-espionage sounds like a good idea. The scenario is unlocked so feel free to add whatever you think might make it more fun.

As for the error, does it happen every time you try to sell a ship or add a ship to the trade menu? All types of ships or just freighters? What version of the Bacon Mod are you using?
titus1

Post by titus1 »

State ships can be given to pirates by both right clicking and pressing Ctrl+T
If you do any on a civilian ship however, it fires that error(instantly for right clicking and right before opening the trade screen for hotkey).
The version is latest for everything.

Do research ships work outside of this scenario? I tried a custom game and they didn't seem to.
Sending a scientist on board of the ship to research locations doesn't seem to do anything.

Other empires hate your guts. That wouldn't be a problem as I suppose they are meant to, but it becomes a problem when the independent colony in your system becomes an empire. I didn't try to invade as it makes sense that you would belong to that colony, and from what I understand you're not meant to be an empire. Wouldn't be possible to become a protectorate or have an unbreakable alliance when the independents rise?
Later game is messy, everyone attacks you or blows up your stations. Ended up adding one agent in each station(not sure if it helps) just to test but it still wasn't enough.

Speaking of, before editing the game and adding agents I wouldn't have any character other than the leader. After I got one Intelligence agent then more started popping up(Scientists, Troop Generals, etc). Did I break something?

LE:
Got this crash, related to freighters and automatized source-destination order. No idea why.
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.AssignCargoMission(Main main, Object ship, Boolean repeat)
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.CheckAndAssignRepeatingMission(BuiltObject ship)
at BaconDistantWorlds.BaconBuiltObject.AssignQueuedMission(BuiltObject ship, Boolean allowReprocessing)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.AssignQueuedMission()
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.ExecuteCommands(Galaxy galaxy, Double timePassed, DateTime time, Int64 starDate)
at DistantWorlds.Types.BuiltObject.DoTasks(DateTime time, Int64 starDate, Boolean inView)
at DistantWorlds.Main.ProcessMain(DateTime time, Int64 starDate, BuiltObjectList builtObjectsInView)
at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()

Thanks!

Return to “Design and Modding”