tyronec (Axis) vs Grognard1812. Grognard welcome.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

tyronec

RE: GT 5 Air War

Post by tyronec »

Yes, I did the convert some groups down to 109E3. There is a disadvantage in that think some of those planes get transferred to allies.

While I like the idea of random withdrawals from a play point of view it raises so many questions about historical OOBs, reinforcing units,... that it would be a major job to do it well and is likely not a runner.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
tyronec

T6

Post by tyronec »

T6
Finland. STAVKA is defending forwards, will try and push the defence back at the 'top of the map' hex to avoid the river crossing. On the isthmus will push on and try and cut off one division.

AGN. Another withdrawal in front of Leningrad so will see how far I can advance in the north and will attempt to cross the river south of Lake Ilmen.

AGC. Another 50 miles retreated in front of Smolensk so can follow up there and PG2 can join up from the south. No point in doing any armour attacks, my panzers are getting plenty of rest.

AGS. 5 divisions have been left behind at Krivoi Rog so will seal them off and PG1 can rest. Will look to see if I can make a crossing across the Dnepr to be set up better for next turn.

Air war. Grognard has struck back with air base bombing and killed 57 (nearly all fighters) for 219. Almost his while air force is at Leningrad so I will probably do some fighter sweeps there and bombing elsewhere.

Attachments
T6Start.jpg
T6Start.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 163 times
tyronec

RE: T6

Post by tyronec »

Finland. The attack up north fails but his fortification is reduced and will hopefully get past next turn, but it will be a long hard slog for the Finns. In the isthmus have cut off two units and should take out the port next turn.

AGN. In front of Leningrad there was a CV 12 stack in the front line and with the help of my HQB from last turn was able to cut through 40 miles. Even if he can push back one of these units would hope to cut off the city next turn.
Below Lake Ilmen we get past the river line, which should create a threat to his rear.

Attachments
T6AGN.jpg
T6AGN.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 164 times
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

AGC. My infantry can barely keep up with the retreating Soviets. We make a little attack with one Pz corps so that the river line is effectively breached for next turn. PG2 links up from the south and Pripyat marshes should flip for next turn.

Attachments
T6AGC.jpg
T6AGC.jpg (502.76 KiB) Viewed 163 times
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

AGS. The surrounded divisions get sealed off and my armour rests. I get across the Dnepr into the marsh and am set to spread out next turn. There are still a Soviets in the L'Vov pocket and have just left them to the Romanians, so 17th Army is railing up to the front line.

Air war. A few fighter sweeps around Leningrad and a little bombing around AGS gets me 269 for 36. More important we are able to support the ground war everywhere apart from in front of Leningrad and most of my bombers do their full quota for the turn. Fighter fatigue is OK and several airbases have a rest turn.

Attachments
T6AGS.jpg
T6AGS.jpg (341.09 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: tyronec

Finland. The attack up north fails but his fortification is reduced and will hopefully get past next turn, but it will be a long hard slog for the Finns. In the isthmus have cut off two units and should take out the port next turn.

AGN. In front of Leningrad there was a CV 12 stack in the front line and with the help of my HQB from last turn was able to cut through 40 miles. Even if he can push back one of these units would hope to cut off the city next turn.
Below Lake Ilmen we get past the river line, which should create a threat to his rear.

Finns .. Do you have HQ's with appropriate SU's within range? I note one unit participated with SU's .. Also .. I have units behind in reserve(The Cav units and that 16-5 inf unit) that sometimes pass their checks and participate I did not see any reserve checks? I also attack the Soviet units in reserve with air to increase fatigue and maybe increase the die roll required to participate as reserve (I see no Soviet reserve)
... I can say for sure all of these extras sometimes is the extra edge to get to 2:1 adjusted CV (So close with 1.73 to 1 )
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Finns .. Do you have HQ's with appropriate SU's within range? Also .. I have units behind in reserve that sometimes pass their checks and participate. I also attack the Soviet units in reserve to increase fatigue and maybe increase the die roll required to participate as reserve ... I can say for sure all of these extras sometimes is the extra edge to get to 2:1 adjusted CV
Yes, the attack was well set up. Note the Finnish CV.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Finns .. Do you have HQ's with appropriate SU's within range? Also .. I have units behind in reserve that sometimes pass their checks and participate. I also attack the Soviet units in reserve to increase fatigue and maybe increase the die roll required to participate as reserve ... I can say for sure all of these extras sometimes is the extra edge to get to 2:1 adjusted CV
Yes, the attack was well set up. Note the Finnish CV.

Then you just did not get those reserve units in (bad luck :( ) .. and you lost 6% because of two commands involved in the attack .. ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Then you just did not get those reserve units in (bad luck :( ) .. and you lost 6% because of two commands involved in the attack .. ..

Look at the CV on the combat report, there were 2 reserve activations which had a command penalty.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Yes, I did the convert some groups down to 109E3. There is a disadvantage in that think some of those planes get transferred to allies.

I think the maximum is twenty that go to the Rumanians - and their version is shorter range and in Rumanian fighter groups with worse experience/morale.

So if fighters is a choke point you may prefer the 109E3s to fight in higher experienced and morale German fighter groups - and you would actively not want them to be exported. On the other hand if you think you will never have a shortage of fighters then you may as well have extra fighters for the Rumanians too.

Those that are not exported get converted to B109E-4B. And Bf109E-4B in turn get converted to Bf109E-7/U1 tac bombers. Given that sometimes you do not have enough tactical bombers, not having the extra Bf109E-7/U1s I usually think of as the greater loss.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

I think the maximum is twenty that go to the Rumanians - and their version is shorter range and in Rumanian fighter groups with worse experience/morale.

So if fighters is a choke point you may prefer the 109E3s to fight in higher experienced and morale German fighter groups - and you would actively not want them to be exported. On the other hand if you think you will never have a shortage of fighters then you may as well have extra fighters for the Rumanians too.

Those that are not exported get converted to B109E-4B. And Bf109E-4B in turn get converted to Bf109E-7/U1 tac bombers. Given that sometimes you do not have enough tactical bombers, not having the extra Bf109E-7/U1s I usually think of as the greater loss.

Interesting to know, have never played far enough into the game for the 2nd conversion. My experience with the current Beta is that the U1s are not a lot of use.
The obscure detail in this game never ceases to amaze me...
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Interesting to know, have never played far enough into the game for the 2nd conversion. My experience with the current Beta is that the U1s are not a lot of use.
The obscure detail in this game never ceases to amaze me...

Even if not played that far you can pull the details from the CSV files you can download for the scenario in the editor. They have a column in the aircraft file called "Import from" which covers both imports and conversions - so you can see all of them for the whole game there.

True about the U1s - just a question of leaving stuka groups half empty or having something extra to fill the production gaps (if that happens in your game). Given how much less the Axis has in the way of tac bombers even the bad ones are worth it for me.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Thanks - was not aware of that.
Have mentioned this before but with the new Beta the Stukas are Dive Bombers and the same as before but the the other two are Tacs and have been seriously downgraded.
Grognard1812

Soviet Game Turn 6

Post by Grognard1812 »

Soviet Game Turn 6

A dangerous situation has developed in the Leningrad Sector as strong panzer forces have broken through the
outer defenses of the city, reaching the gates of Leningrad. The Soviet forces to the west of the panzer corridor
were retreated into the city to assist in its defense, leaving one unit in Pushkin as a rearguard to delay
the German advance. Forces to the East of the panzer corridor were retreated further east to protect the supply
routes going over Lake Ladoga. STAVKA sent their best leader, General Zhukov to take command of the defenses
of Leningrad and a high morale infantry unit was transported by boat into Leningrad to assist in its defense.
The Soviet army in Northern Finland was recalled to assist in the defense of Leningrad.

Leningrad sector at the end of Soviet game turn 6.

Attachments
GT6Lenin.jpg
GT6Lenin.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Grognard1812

GT6 Air War

Post by Grognard1812 »

Game Turn 6 Air War

The Soviet Air Force struck back on GT 6, attacking German ground units and Luftwaffe air bases in the
Leningrad sector. Although Soviet air loses were heavy on GT 6, the Luftwaffe lost 109 Messerschmitt fighters
this turn.

Attachments
GT6AirLoses.jpg
GT6AirLoses.jpg (195.78 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Grognard1812

RE: GT6 Air War

Post by Grognard1812 »

The following was the most successful airfield attack mission of GT 6, where 14 fighters were
lost by the Luftwaffe.

Attachments
GT6Airfield.jpg
GT6Airfield.jpg (160.66 KiB) Viewed 155 times
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Grognard1812

The following was the most successful airfield attack mission of GT 6, where 14 fighters were
lost by the Luftwaffe.

No offense to anyone and I mentioned this in other posts that the Germans can combat this but a different stance needs to be taken in their undertaking in the air war. At this rate German fighter losses will outpace replacements.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

No offense to anyone and I mentioned this in other posts that the Germans can combat this but a different stance needs to be taken in their undertaking in the air war. At this rate German fighter losses will outpace replacements.

I am now starting to pay a very keen interest in the air war. I am watching closely how it goes in the various AARs. For example:

tyronec's fighter losses are approx. equal to mine so far, but we are two weeks ahead in our game. If Grognard continues his counter-force attacks for another two weeks, say, then tyronec's fighter losses could be considerably higher by an equivalent point in time. The difference is that thedoctorking is aggressively using his air force against my ground forces, only peripherally 'targeting' my air power. To be sure, though, fatigue is beginning to be a serious issue on my side in the air war, and I am not questioning my opponent's tactic- it is having its intended effect over time.
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

As stated elsewhere, it is fascinating to watch different strategies being played out, and their effects.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Twigster

As stated elsewhere, it is fascinating to watch different strategies being played out, and their effects.

In my opinion being overly aggresive with German fighters is counter productive to the Germans.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004

Return to “After Action Reports”