RUNNING POLL - gameplay features [Feature Requests Go Here]

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

AndrewJ

RE: RUNNING POLL - gameplay features

Post by AndrewJ »

Would a "Mark Position" function be useful?

Once you have selected a contact (most likely an enemy) you would press the Mark Position hot-key, and the sim would automatically create a reference point at the contact's positon and label it with the contact name, course, speed, depth/alt, and the time the waypoint was created. The reference point name would be editable by the normal method if you needed to change it.

This would be useful for scenarios where you are tracking contacts to try and establish their route or patrol zones, or are trying to keep tabs on contacts where you only have intermittent sensor coverage.

(You can do this manually, of course, but it's a somewhat slow process, particularly in large scenarios with numerous contacts. This would be much quicker and more user friendly.)
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Something I find myself wishing I had is a list of current contacts. It would be great if it could work like the OB window where you select a unit and the map centers on it.

I'm pretty badly colorblind and sometimes "lose" contacts in ground clutter. This would really help, even for something to cycle through every so often to make sure I'm not overlooking something. It seems like something that would be listed in a TF or ship's CIC.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
gosnold

Post by gosnold »

Posting it here as suggested by mikmyk:
Jammer, sensor and radar frequencies need to be displayed in the DB viewer: the RCS of objects is already displayed depending on frequency (A-D vs E-F), but it's really hard to know which band a radar is using right now, so this RCS information is hard to use in practice. Players currently have to build a kind of mini-DB of their own to know which radar/jammer/sensor does what.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

A couple of requests from me:

1. Add a way to disable auto-waypoint-generation for weapons (eg cruise missiles) when firing using F1 or strike missions. At the moment they automatically fire using off-axis attacks, which can interfere with the player's planning.

2. This has probably been discussed, but a quick search couldn't find it: Accidental missile lock onto friendly targets. A while ago I saw a map demonstrating that in the Cold War, anti-ship missile paths had to be planned so if the missile missed its target, it wouldn't continue and lock onto a friendly vessel. This seems like it would add an interesting dimension to battles. I'm sure you've discussed friendly fire etc to death already, but I thought I'd show support for its being implemented one day.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Once you have selected a contact (most likely an enemy) you would press the Mark Position hot-key, and the sim would automatically create a reference point at the contact's positon and label it with the contact name, course, speed, depth/alt, and the time the waypoint was created. The reference point name would be editable by the normal method if you needed to change it.

This would be useful for scenarios where you are tracking contacts to try and establish their route or patrol zones, or are trying to keep tabs on contacts where you only have intermittent sensor coverage.

(You can do this manually, of course, but it's a somewhat slow process, particularly in large scenarios with numerous contacts. This would be much quicker and more user friendly.)

Seconded (although I haven't been able to vote for a few years now...)

This would be a great feature
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I admit, this request is a result of my own goof up.
When editing a scenario, I hit start to test lua script and make sure my logic would actually fire the trigger I wanted.
I went to hit save to save its progress... and you can guess what happened next; I walked all over my saved scenario with the 'running scenario save.' [:(]
I admit it was a goof... and I used language concerning myself that my mother never intended I be called...

Having said all that... is there anyway to change the extension on the file once the game starts?
Like if you have not hit play, keep it .scn or .scen... and once play is hit something like .rsc.

I know you cannot fix stupid... but I like to try when I can... [:D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: apache85

Seconded (although I haven't been able to vote for a few years now...)
This would be a great feature

That is a good idea.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

+1 for "Mark Position" function
Project2035

Post by Project2035 »

I would like to suggest a way to choose targets for MIRVs. This could be useful when attacking large population centers (areas around Seattle, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

I like this idea a lot. Added on dev builds and you should see it on one of the future updates.
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

I like this idea a lot. Added on dev builds and you should see it on one of the future updates.

Great news, thank you.
Mousie

RE: RUNNING POLL - gameplay features [Feature Requests Go Here]

Post by Mousie »

You should be able to search through roles in the database. Typing "Interceptor", "Bomber", "AEW", "Tanker", could pull every vehicle with that role. It would save a lot of time for scenario creators if they're looking for something without knowing specifics.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Mission button for ASW Missions that allows the designer/player to limit sononbouy drops to passive drops only and then they can manually drop active to classify and attack.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

BTW as a professional Meteorologist (ex-Hurricane Center forecaster as well) for 32 years, if you needed help in designing an improved weather model I would be happy to help if you'd like.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
morphin

Post by morphin »

It is more and more important to hide an approach to the enemy behind mountains and in valleys.
For me it is not easily to see elevation model in game.

An relative easy fix would be an optional addtional map with color shaded elevation model (e.g. every 30ft change colorton within green and grey)

That would be for make an optional route to the target

Thank's

Andy
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: morphin

It is more and more important to hide an approach to the enemy behind mountains and in valleys.
For me it is not easily to see elevation model in game.

An relative easy fix would be an optional addtional map with color shaded elevation model (e.g. every 30ft change colorton within green and grey)

That would be for make an optional route to the target

Thank's

Andy

You're aware of the relief layer, yes?
morphin

Post by morphin »

Yes, but at least for me it is not visible enough to clearly see the valleys. I have to move the cursor over the map to detect the
mountains....
I1066

Post by I1066 »

perhaps add height curves to the map as a layer?
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Formal request for new game feature: Improved map data, especially for areas like the Spratly Islands, the Great Lakes, and the African Great Lakes, and the Amazon, Mekong, and Yangtze Rivers. Thank you!
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

I just noticed that refuelling from a pier seems to be pretty fast. I believe that there is a fairly generic time set for becoming ready (30min). Repair and rearming takes varying amounts of time but refueling time for a 28 Ton PB with a 5.5 ton fuel capacity is the same as with a Kaiser Class AO with 27,000 tons of fuel storage.

Perhaps a value of tons per min based on the pier size or something like that can be worked in.

Cheers

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”