A suggestion to help us novices

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
kvob

A suggestion to help us novices

Post by kvob »

I bought this game and I'm enjoying it. It was a gamble as I'm still running Vista - it has the odd no-start glitch but most of the time it runs fine.

Anyway - on to my suggestion: as a bit of a novice, I'm finding it difficult to know what scenarios to tackle and thought that maybe a filter to align scenarios by order of difficulty or complexity could help the newer players get a grip of the game a little easier. Of course, maybe such a function already exists and I've just not found it yet?[:D]

JPJ

RE: A suggestion to help us novices

Post by JPJ »

If you're a bit of novice as you say then you may find the three tutorial scenarios helpful to get started.
a filter to align scenarios by order of difficulty or complexity

That is not possible now.
You can for example read individual scenario descriptions and find ones with less turns in a period or area that interests you.
marcdhanna

Post by marcdhanna »

There are already several threads on recommended scenarios to start with but if you are past those then it sounds like you are looking for the next stage beyond intro...
Prajñāpāramitā
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Hi kvob!

I'd suggest Tannenberg (should be in the tutorial-section?) as the germans. Not too much troops, no planes, not too long, not too big. There you can learn the basics and it is fun. [;)] But any not too big scenario will do. Just train attacking and defending, then you can go on to the bigger ones. And simply ask, the TOAW-community has always been very helpful.
kvob

Post by kvob »

thanks for the info/suggestions folks. I'll give Tannenberg a try[:)]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

maybe a filter to align scenarios by order of difficulty or complexity
This has been discussed for many years and while it doesn't seem an impossible thing to do, agreeing on common parameters that equate to a reliable solution is not easy, therefore it hasn't been done.
I recommend, as JPJ said, to peruse the Scenario Descriptions of topics/areas that interest you. Open a scenario and by hitting the Next Formation button you will be moved around the map, getting slowly familiar with the map and units. If after two minutes you are lost, forget it and go pick another scenario. I'm not being a smart-ass, this is what I do !
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I was thinking, only if someone had the time and knows the game really well, plus played many of the scenarios. Perhaps a one or two page document in the forum that could group scenarios by region and complexity for players to download?

It really doesn't need to be in the game but an extra document and it doesn't have to be perfect. I only played maybe 8_10 scenarios in Toaw 3.

Just a thought
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Its always the same tipps, I guess. Tannenberg, Korea 50-53, Kasserine Pass. Get started with these scenarios. If you master them, you can really take anyone, fitting your interests. I have done severals "teaching-games" against newbies in TOAWIII and always took Tannenberg. It's really good to learn the basics.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

They have done this at Rugged Defense aka The Strategist. http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/news.php

Allied army of 454 units opposed to German army of 363 units
for a battle of complexity 1.42 at Battalion(II) level
on a 2.5 Km/Hex map
for 28 turns of Full Day each.

Please note these scenarios may not function properly with TOAW IV when directly downloaded from the site because they have not been modified for TOAW IV as far as I know. I only mention this site to point out that it is possible to categorize the scenarios by difficulty.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
henri511

Post by henri511 »

Nice, but as far as I can tell, the site does not order them in any order than that of the location, so you have to click on each one to see how big and how complex it is.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Yes, you have to do some work for yourself. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

+1 [:D]
Jim Cobb
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

I don't see an attach option. I made a spread sheet listing if they are small, large, etc so I would have an easier time finding ones I wanted to play. I'd be happy to share if someone could tell me how to add a file.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

You use the "Click Here to Upload" button at the bottom left of the Reply screen. Due to size and file type restrictions, you probably should zip the spreadsheet.
Jim Cobb
PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

I'd like to see scens listed by size (small medium large)to help us decide which ones we want to play.
For example after dinner I'm dozy and half-asleep and don't fancy taking on a huge scen.
"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

The size was based on me loading a 2 player game and looking at the OOB and reinforcements for the first side only. I also took map size into account. There are 283 scenario's included and my standards of small, medium, etc. may have changed some from to finish but you will at least have some clue as to the sizes.
Attachments
TheOperat..ofWar4.zip
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Great work! Many thanks.
Jim Cobb
PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ORIGINAL: alwaysdime

The size was based on me loading a 2 player game and looking at the OOB and reinforcements for the first side only. I also took map size into account. There are 283 scenario's included and my standards of small, medium, etc. may have changed some from to finish but you will at least have some clue as to the sizes.

Thanks but the file won't open for me, a message says I need 'Office' whatever that is.
Is there any other way to open it? (sorry I'm a PC dummy)
"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

I think I used to use "Open Office" and that was free. You just need something that can view an Excel format. Maybe someone here can suggest something?
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

This site will do it for you.

https://sheet.zoho.com/sheet/excelviewer
Jim Cobb

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”