2 Japanese machine guns handed in during firearms amnesty

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

2 Japanese machine guns handed in during firearms amnesty

Post by JohnDillworth »

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Smoky Stoker

RE: 2 Japanese machine guns handed in during firearms amnesty

Post by Smoky Stoker »

The tripod-mounted heavy MG pictured may be Japanese, but the LMG is a Bren gun, a British weapon equipping units from 1936 until 1991.
"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery
DRF99

Post by DRF99 »

It's likely a Japanese Type 99 LMG, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_light_machine_gun

Looks a lot like a Bren gun.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Both Type 99 LMG and Bren can trace their lineage to the Czech ZB vz.26 - Type 99 LMG via Type 96 LMG to captured Chinese ZBv26 and Bren via Czech ZGB33 license adopted for British use from the same ZBv26. [;)] Similarity is to be expected here...
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

The heavy MG itself derives by the Hotchkiss model (from 1st world war) to which it strikingly resambles...
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

After WW2, my dad brought back hundreds of firearms from the ETO, including an MP40, (always mis-labelled as a "schmeisser")..
At that time many G.I.'s opted to "DEWAT" the machine guns by plugging the barrels with cement, etc.

Are our friends in the U.K. allowed to keep historical firearms?

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Over fifty percent of the weapons turned in were air pistols. Pretty much shows the differences between our societies.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Neither of these machine guns are Japanese.

The tripod mounted HMG is a Hotchkiss, likely a British manufactured copy, built on licence.
It is not a Japanese Type 92 Nambu HMG.

The other LMG is a Bren Gun, no ifs ands or buts about that.

I own a live registered T99 and a live registered Mark I Bren Gun.
Although the T96 & T99 Japanese LMG's and the Bren Gun share a common ancestor, the Czech ZB26, the guns are very different externally and internally.

Both were commonly used in WWII and the Bren Gun was also used in Korea and Viet Nam.
So having them turn up in an English gun turn in event, is not at all surprising.

Gregg
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: m10bob
After WW2, my dad brought back hundreds of firearms from the ETO, including an MP40, (always mis-labelled as a "schmeisser")..
What, like, was he allowed to ship in a whole container full of firearms? [X(]
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

thanks for the clarification!
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
ORIGINAL: m10bob
What, like, was he allowed to ship in a whole container full of firearms? [X(]

He sent many home a piece at a time in some cases. He told me this verbatim.
I have photos of his collection, which filled a couple of (then) standard issue footlockers.
The collection included Lugers with matching clips, broomhandle Mausers, Walthers of every description and several machine guns.

When he learned he was not able to keep the machine guns, he sold at least 5 to the Greensburg Indiana Police Department.
He hung onto one of those MP39-40's until roughly 1961.
Aside from some of the smg's, my brother and I had fired and become familiar with every common military small arm from that war, (and a few from WW1, like that clumsy French Chaut Chaut, lol.
I served in the Rangers in my war and the knowledge was invaluable on out team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”