What is the thinking behind "reorganise".

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Fred98

What is the thinking behind "reorganise".

Post by Fred98 »

When I tried to learn TOAW 3, sometimes my air units would not fly because there were "reorganising".

In TOAW 4, I see an option. Paragraph 3.3.1 Game Parameters: Command and Control.

If this is turned off, units will never reorganise.

There is no other mention of "reorganisation" in the manual.

What is the thinking behind it? Is there any benefit to turning it ON or OFF ?

alwaysdime

RE: What is the thinking behind "reorganise".

Post by alwaysdime »

I think if I gave an air example it will be easier to understand and explain. A plane usually has a wingman. Lets say you have 5 flights up there so that's 5 leadmen and 5 wingman. Lets say the lead craft is downed, well the wingman might take lead and someone has to be moved to be his wingman. Imagine half the force went down. Men would have to be moved around to cover the holes. That takes some time to do. You don't just land and instantly go up with everyone knowing their new mode by osmosis. Turning it off is just easy mode more or less.

Same thing on the ground. If a captain goes down and maybe a LT you need to promote or transfer men in to replace them.

You usually only see this when a battle went very against you.
aperfecturkel

Post by aperfecturkel »

Hey Fred! There's a bit more details a bit further on in section 9.1.10, on C&C - pasting it here for posterity! But as alwaysdime says, it's usually a result of a unit getting so pasted it has to take time to, uh, un-paste itself. [:)]
Unit Reorganization
Units failing multiple Quality Checks during combat, usually as the result of significant combat losses, can become so disorganized that they will no longer respond to your orders. When this happens, the unit is said to be “Reorganizing”. At the beginning of each Turn, all Reorganizing units are checked to see if they have finished their reorganization. Units must pass a modified Quality Check in order to complete Reorganization. This is more likely if they are Supplied, have not moved in the previous Turn, and are located with or adjacent to a cooperative Headquarters unit. A Reorganizing unit (or any other unit that is not allowed to move during the current Turn; e.g., Reserves) has an orange “bar” printed behind its combat (Attack – Defense) or Movement numbers on its 2D icon.

Formation Attack Restrictions
Units of Formations failing a Formation Quality Check at the beginning of a Turn are considered to be Reorganizing and will only be available for
non-combat orders. They will accept all other orders, and they will Defend normally, but are not available for launching Attacks or Bombardments. Formation Quality is the average of the Formation’s Proficiency and average assigned unit Quality.
Formation Quality is reduced if many units are divided. The Formation passes the Quality Check if this value is greater than a random number from 1 to 100, or if the number of units that experienced severe combat results in the previous Turn is smaller than a random number from 1 to the number of units in the Formation. This means that Formations are subject to Reorganization on Turns following heavy combat.
Formation Proficiency is reduced by 50% if any assigned Headquarters unit is eliminated, or if all assigned Command Groups in the Headquarters have been eliminated. You should attempt to protect your Headquarters units to avoid this drop in Proficiency.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: aperfecturkel

Hey Fred!

I was wondering who you meant! My name is Joe! To buy the game I had to first do the "Matrix - Slitherine merge accounts" thingy.

As Joe 98 was already taken (by me) and Joe98 was taken (by me again) I had to take another name.

As a banker I use rules rather than imagination so I came up with Fred :)

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”