Ultimate General

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

goodwoodrw

Ultimate General

Post by goodwoodrw »

After several days of ToaW 4, I'm looking for some light entertainment, does anyone think the above title would fit the bill.
Formerly Goodwood

zakblood

RE: Ultimate General

Post by zakblood »

depends if you like rts and some arcade type action, not a bad title by any means, some love it, some hate it

imo it's ok, but not a serious war game and doesn't mean to be, can be dull at times as it's either defend or attack, and the AI isn't the best either, so gets repetitive over repeat plays, only played it for a few hours round at my m8's and it put me off, he has stopped playing after 40 odd hours, so had his money out of it and can't complain, so horses for courses i 'd guess and each to their own,...

but for light entertainment i'm sure it fits the bill perfectly
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

thanks CMANO and TOAW ain't light. I like the odd fun game Battle Brothers and Panzer Corps, got have fun playing as well [:)]
Formerly Goodwood

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

agreed, quite a few games can be more than a challenge to be called fun games, while i enjoy most, so are more fun than others, so yes a time to unwind and no brainer every now and then helps the mind and body relax

that's why i go on twitch and watch some of the other players play in my free time, as then i see they make the same mistakes as i do, which i find funny and is enjoyable and funny to watch, kind of a unwind etc to, but still have a few space games and FPS as well, so no brain is needed type games[:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

I love ultimate general: civil war.

It is very well done, the AI on higher levels is very tough to beat, the campaign is very fun to play, you get to organize your brigades, divisions, corps, select leaders and guns, if you have them available. Or if you have the money....

It is RTS but it is not a click-fest. Of course it’ pausable, but you can also assign some or all your forces to the AI. For instance, you can select one of your divisions to the AI and order it to either attack a point, or defend a ridge, and your AI officers will follow your orders. Sometimes not exactly as you wanted...This is fun, and can make your game more difficult and challenging.

I have clocked more than 140 hours in this 😎. I recommend it for lots of quality fun time, for a good price.

Cheers

(PS: just to add that besides the campaign moda, you can also play every major battle of the civil war, with the historical troops and generals, in faithful rendered maps. Fredericksburg, Shiloh, Chancellorsville, Stones River, Gettysburg, you name it)
Former AJE team member
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I think it's a good little game, for the reasons above, and well worth the asking price.
A Sharif
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If it's RTS I usually turn a nose to it. Only Norbsofts combat engine and maybe Command Ops are the only RTS I like. They are or at least feel in actual real time; second to second; minute to minute.

There's always Gary Gribsby's Civil War game. It's pretty simple and beer and pretzels type. Then of course there's the ancient version of Age of Rifles with many american civil war scenarios in it. Still runs on modern day computers if you have DoxBox and the patch.

I guess you could go with Brother against Brother for more tactical scenarios.

Norbsoft is sitting on a gold mine if he ever makes a strategic overlay with built units in the combat engine from the overlay.
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

After several days of ToaW 4, I'm looking for some light entertainment, does anyone think the above title would fit the bill.

Yes.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

thanks CMANO and TOAW ain't light. I like the odd fun game Battle Brothers and Panzer Corps, got have fun playing as well [:)]

If you don't have Quadriga give that a look. Chariot racing is different. I still have it on my hard drive and play when I'm looking for entertainment.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Thanks guys, UG is on the list [:)]
Formerly Goodwood

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I bought it seems simple enough but no game manual that I can see
Formerly Goodwood

Return to “General Discussion”