Tutorial '41 - Including 1st Step Slides [TOAW 3.4] - Now for TOAW 4!

Post new mods and scenarios here
Oberst_Klink

Tutorial '41 - Including 1st Step Slides [TOAW 3.4] - Now for TOAW 4!

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Attached the Tutorial '41 folder (goes into \Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override), the .SCE (Can be dumped at \Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\TUTORIALS). The slides I made for 3.4, but they should give beginners some visual help and guidance about how to utilise and attack with a German Panzer Division of 1941. It's non-historical, the OpFor are Yugoslav border guard units and an Infantry Division. Time is short, and the German player will be pressed hard to reach at least 2/3 of the objectives in time, without any major losses.

Because of the slides, I had to dump the .ZIP into Dropbox -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6ewongmjq389 ... 1.zip?dl=0

Feedback appreciated!

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Crossroads

RE: Tutorial '41 - Including 1st Step Slides [TOAW 3.4]

Post by Crossroads »

This is how I got into TOAW3 back in the days. Played this a few times, made sure I understood everything. After that, the next tutorial I did, Kasserine Pass likely, was a walk in the park.

Vielen Danke, Herr Oberst [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

This is how I got into TOAW3 back in the days. Played this a few times, made sure I understood everything. After that, the next tutorial I did, Kasserine Pass likely, was a walk in the park.

Vielen Danke, Herr Oberst [:)]
Really? The Tutorial '41 for TOAW III? Smashing! I am quite pleased that it was in fact useful! I might even be tempted to create a few more slides (for TOAW IV ofc), e.g. to focus on bridging, ferry, railroad repair and (anti-)partisan warfare, airdrops and so on :)

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

The slides were really why I picked it at the time, they were most helpful.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
alpenmonster

Post by alpenmonster »

Thank you for the slides [&o]...going to try your tutorial mission...would like to see more of these slides :-)

Viele Grüße! [:)]
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: alpenmonster

Thank you for the slides [&o]...going to try your tutorial mission...would like to see more of these slides :-)

Viele Grüße! [:)]
Awww'roite! I guess I will do some tomorrow, same setting, but well... rail repair, crossing a river, blowing/repairing bridges and perhaps some guerillas or even partisan attacks...

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Oops!

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (135.95 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
budd

Post by budd »

i'll be giving this a spin, thank you sir. look forward to more
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
dstone11

Post by dstone11 »

Am I doing something wrong, or has something changed?

Turn 2 -- every available unit attacked the first border guard as illustrated in the slides -- probability of success very low, expected losses very heavy -- failed to do anything and losses on both sides quite light.

Turn 3 -- repeat the attack -- probability of success very low, expected losses very heavy -- used 3 rounds, very very light losses -- no effect -- repeat it again -- same thing.

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: dstone11

Am I doing something wrong, or has something changed?

Turn 2 -- every available unit attacked the first border guard as illustrated in the slides -- probability of success very low, expected losses very heavy -- failed to do anything and losses on both sides quite light.

Turn 3 -- repeat the attack -- probability of success very low, expected losses very heavy -- used 3 rounds, very very light losses -- no effect -- repeat it again -- same thing.
No, you're doing nothing wrong. Remember, the slides were made back in the days for 3.4; I am in the process of updating it to TOAWV IV, incl. equipment and TOE&E modifications. However, the slides should give you an overview of the basics, especially what equipment or unit is best suited for the job.

Please, be patient; I'll post the new version (the .SCE file) soon; as well as a slide for each possible turn with as much information I can pack in.

Thanks!

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (299.19 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OK, as promised an updated version with some surprising features... (they even surprised me!)
+ Added Fast Horse Teams to the border guards; initially they're 0/27, but because there are replacements available, they will be distributed (with priority!) to the units.
+ Border guards also got the special guerilla capabilities (be in for a nasty surprise)
16.1.2. Guerrilla unit notes
§ Guerrilla units always Disengage without
cost, as Special Forces units do.
§ Guerrilla units are very difficult to spot,
particularly by Air or Helicopter units.
§ Guerrilla units will not change the ownership
of locations while moving. Only after
Movement will Guerrilla units change the
ownership of the location they occupy.
§ Guerrilla unit Attack and Defense strengths
are doubled when attacking from locations that
were enemy-owned at the beginning of the Turn.
Guerrilla units always draw at least “normal”
supply, regardless of whether their location
is friendly-supplied or not. If a higher level of
Supply is available, the unit benefits normally.

That fact alone caused me in my tests some serious trouble, because there was no manpower available to deal with them. Recon is the key! In fact... it's better to wait for at least 2/3rd of 11th Panzer to arrive before you should even attempt to repair the broken bridge (Pz.Pio.Abt.209 might come in handy) and cross it in force. I made the mistake to just dash ahead and in the process suffered more than 40%(!!!) losses; despite a 'victory'.
+ Added French 47mm Pak to the units of Inf.Rgt.66; alas I managed only to lose 6 tanks.
+ Added a Staffel (squadron) of He-51 planes for the Germans in order to use them as reece planes (another airfield was added, too. If one moves the air units back and forth the airfields they should, in some cases, spot enemy units in their flight path).
+ Added more pesky behind enemy lines surprises via event.

What next?
+ Slides, of course; most likely 1 per turn, or perhaps 2 per turn up to the point when the border guards have been dealt with. Like with the v3.4 slides, I will always refer to the manual for easy reference. I don't want to compress too much information into them. Alas, I am open for suggestions; PM me or reply here.
+ Because of the pesky surprises (I didn't anticipate at all!), I guess adding some security detachments (via event or as reinforcements) for the Germans. AFAIR, security units, specially the dreaded OrPo/security battalion and other RHG (rear group area) MP units, have special abilities in dealing with those guerillas/partisans.
+ Focus on the importance of the supply net, lines of communication, river crossings, bridge destruction/repair, ferry operations, traffic control, in short - stuff you NEED to know in order to actually do the job.

+++ The updated version, see my latest post +++
Unzip it into the Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\TUTORIALS folder and... well, see if you can do better than me! Feedback, +/- is kindly requested.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (556.19 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
alpenmonster

Post by alpenmonster »

Hi Oberst Klink,

i have an issue with invisible units...e.g after repairing the bridge i tried to move into hex 12,9...but instead of showing me the movement path the crosshair appeared...or are guerilla units maybe invisible?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: alpenmonster

Hi Oberst Klink,

i have an issue with invisible units...e.g after repairing the bridge i tried to move into hex 12,9...but instead of showing me the movement path the crosshair appeared...or are guerilla units maybe invisible?
That is one thing that surprised me as well. I am not sure if it's WAD (Works As Designed); but yes... I guess the Guerilla special capability, plus the sh*tty weather mind you, seems to hide the pesky partisans! In a way it's kinda... well, (un)kewl; and I tried in my test runs to discover them... to no avail; perhaps we need some special 'partisan hunters' after all. Anyway, try your best to pin them down and surround them. That's the only way to make sure they will disappear for good it seems.
Anyway, appreciate your feedback mate! Hope you still have fun testing it.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Partisans in general seem to a very tough nut to crack (not to mention to squash!) *sigh*

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (228.32 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Recommended supplemental reading - A very detailed but also comprehensive introduction of the (U)ser (I)nterface by Bob Cross. That will enable me to skip most of the stuff and focus on how to make use of the units and put more flesh on the bones regarding units capabilities, combined arms and so on.

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/T ... _GUIDE.pdf

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

After some minor changes it should be possible, to annihilate the opposing forces...

I am pleased with the setup and AI and general operational plan; I shall shortly provide the slides for the update (as well as the adjusted .SCE). So, sty tuned and thanks for your patience. I do require general feedback though; it can be outright hostile or comforting... It's my duty (in a way) to serve you guys to have lotsa fun to get into TOAW IV.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (334.22 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
alpenmonster

Post by alpenmonster »

..looking forward for the slides and the scenario...[&o]...still trying to figure out a good way to win this scenario..
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Great, now we're going to have all these sneaky scenario designers using guerrillas and partisans against us [;)]
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OK, there we are peeps. I run a few more tests, AI vs. AI and the German AI was able to score a victory, as it should be, no doubt. Alas, I wasn't as good as the AI and struggled in the latest version. Nether the less, attached the latest version, ready to be used as base for the slides. I either intend to post slide by slide here, as the actual game progresses, or dump a series of 2-4 slides every day.

Klink, Oberst
Attachments
Tutorial412.zip
(153.21 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OK... 1st.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
Tutorial41_1.jpg
Tutorial41_1.jpg (592.62 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
My Blog & on Twitter.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”