Not Good

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
jzardos

Not Good

Post by jzardos »

So I have watched the tutorials and scanned the manual, but have not read it word for word. So maybe I'm missing something but..

- trying to play the tutorial (Korea), the communist AI moved and now it's United Nations turn and I can't move units.
- there's a bunch of light blue arrows all over the map? wft mode is this? Very annoying.
- scrolling is really horrible, slow and it's crap in this window mode trying to find the damm edges. Is there a full window mode? Can you increase the scroll speed? Really unplayable with the bad scrolling situation.
- Why is this scenario labeled tutorial when there no help and I can't even move a unit on my turn?

I hope there's just a very steep learning curve here or I just pissed $60 away on a game. Not very happy about what I'm dealing with atm. Please anybody, I could use some help here to attempt to even play this game.

thanks
JPJ

RE: Not Good

Post by JPJ »

ORIGINAL: jzardos

- there's a bunch of light blue arrows all over the map? wft mode is this? Very annoying.

Is this what is already mentioned in the Tech Forum, "Blue Arrows" thread?

tm.asp?m=4378343
JPJ

Post by JPJ »

- Why is this scenario labeled tutorial when there no help (...) ?

As for this, do you mean the tutorial titled "Tutorial"?
If so, you will find a tutorial Word document about this scenario in the Select New Game dialog, if you click on the rightmost button at the bottom.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

I recommend using the keyboard keys for scroll, really fast and easy. You could also drag the map (it would move when release the left click)
Did you select yourself as UN side before starting the game?
Before starting the game, there's a button at the right that would open the scenario documentation.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Yeah, Unfortunately the AI improved radically since that scenario was created, if you look at the bottom of the units, you'll see they are all colored meaning they can't do anything. About all you can normally do for the first couple of turns is do an end turn. Pretty soon some units will show up on the bottom right and you can board them on ships and move to the mainland to try to stem the tide.

The blue arrows are a bug, a fix will be out 'soon', either hit the / key or click on the reports tab and then click on the second button from the left on the bottom row.

Scrolling speed is strongly dependent on cpu speed and some other factors. There's a 'micromap' on the bottom left corner that's better for navigating in this scenario. You can also use the arrow keys or click on an empty location on the map to scroll instead.

On the start screen when you started the scenario, there was a button you could click to view the documentation, or you can get it from Documents\my games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\TUTORIALS.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try what was suggested, I have a decent CPU, so I can't see that degrading my optimum scroll speed. So there's no user configuration parameter to increase scroll speed?
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Is the documentation format in Word? What if we don't have Word?
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Looks like in order to read these .doc scenario files I have to upload them to Google Drive and then open.

BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Then get a free text program, I recommend LibreOffice:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/li ... ?lang=pick
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Can I go into a full game window mode?
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

I don't think that's possible.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

So I have watched the tutorials and scanned the manual, but have not read it word for word. So maybe I'm missing something but..

- trying to play the tutorial (Korea), the communist AI moved and now it's United Nations turn and I can't move units.
- scrolling is really horrible, slow and it's crap in this window mode trying to find the damm edges. Is there a full window mode? Can you increase the scroll speed? Really unplayable with the bad scrolling situation.
- Why is this scenario labeled tutorial when there no help and I can't even move a unit on my turn?

I hope there's just a very steep learning curve here or I just pissed $60 away on a game. Not very happy about what I'm dealing with atm. Please anybody, I could use some help here to attempt to even play this game.

thanks
Answers to your issues are popping up, but let me take a stab:
-as mentioned above, on the menu bar-->Play-->Computer Player--->Communist (you will be UN). You should be able to move your units after the computer has finished.
-the Blue Cobwebs. These are actually all of the Formation Tracks. To ignore them hit [/] key several times. A bug Ralph will squash. Just [/]
-as stated above, the direction arrow keys work very well.
-The tutorial may not be the best term, but the idea is these are fairly small, basic scenarios.
Several Tutorials on YouTube by Steve Sill (among others) are excellent step by step tutorials. Although they were done for TOAW III, the basics that you are looking for will in most cases apply to TOAWIV.

Trust us, the cost of the game will be well spent. Just do not try to absorb everything at once. Basically, Move, Plan Attacks, Execute Attacks. Repeat.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Thanks for all the answers.

So is there a full window mode (no more windows 7 lower menu bar)? Would help with edge scroll. Although arrows keys is what I'm forced to use now and are not too bad to get use to.
CommC

Post by CommC »

would it be too much to ask for matrix to post the tutorial word doc as a pdf?

thank you
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: CommC

would it be too much to ask for matrix to post the tutorial word doc as a pdf?

thank you
I can simply convert from .doc to .pdf with PDF print/Foxit; if you point me to the tutorial document in question.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

I recommend using the keyboard keys for scroll, really fast and easy. You could also drag the map (it would move when release the left click)
Before starting the game, there's a button at the right that would open the scenario documentation.
Using the Keyboard should not be the answer
Chief Admin
Computer War and Exploration Games
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/compute ... tion.games
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: cdcool

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Using the Keyboard should not be the answer
The upcoming patch helps a lot with the scrolling. It allows you to place the cursor between the dialogs and the edge of the screen for scrolling.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

Cool!
Chief Admin
Computer War and Exploration Games
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/compute ... tion.games

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”