Version III Map Graphics

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
PrinceBolkonsky

Version III Map Graphics

Post by PrinceBolkonsky »

Does anyone know of a means or a mod to get the version III map graphics back? I prefer them, they were crisp. The new graphics are just too washed out for me.
ralphtricky

RE: Version III Map Graphics

Post by ralphtricky »

If you have a copy of toaw 3 installed, just copy the graphics files onto the documents/my games/the opearational art of war IV/overridegraphcis folder.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Bolkonsky

Does anyone know of a means or a mod to get the version III map graphics back? I prefer them, they were crisp. The new graphics are just too washed out for me.
Sure thing, matey!

https://thetoawbeachhead.wordpress.com/ ... phic-mods/

All you need is to dump the terrain etc. files into the graphics override folder of the desired scenario.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

It is amazing, different taste for different folks. Some like more contrast, some don't. I prefer the new graphics, even playing previous version scenarios work great with it. I think the map graphic updates done for IV look outstanding on the high resolution monitors, but everyone has their own opinion. Glad the game allows anything you want.
PrinceBolkonsky

Post by PrinceBolkonsky »

Thanks much guys. Yeah its just personal preference. There's nothing wrong with current graphics and I will probably get used to them. I just wanted to have the option. I am very much looking forward to the new version. Are there new terrains that the old graphics don't cover in updated or new scenarios?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I think the lack of new terrain tiles in TOAW IV was discussed, so "no" to the best of my knowledge.

I did find the old "Cursor" mod works and highlights the orgs a lot better than gray circles (for me). Pretty cool. I think it's on page 10 of the TOAW3 mod thread.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

It is amazing, different taste for different folks. Some like more contrast, some don't. I prefer the new graphics, even playing previous version scenarios work great with it. I think the map graphic updates done for IV look outstanding on the high resolution monitors, but everyone has their own opinion. Glad the game allows anything you want.
Tell me about it, then you have the old "bmp crowd" that just could not let it go [:D]
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Can someone tell me why TOAOW III is discontinued on the Matrix site? What was the thinking behind shutting it down?
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Is there a chance to stick all the TOAW III graphics into IV with the next patch/update?
Having a variety of options can't be wrong.

Side note:
III, IV reminds me of Star Wars. [:)]
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: larrybush

While we are on the subject of graphics does TAOW IV work the same as III? Just create a folder inside the Graphics folder and name it the same as the scenario and it automatically uses those over-rides?

I really like the new graphics there are a couple of scenario's that I might want to use some different stuff.
Actually, there's a GraphicsOverride directory under Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV directory. It looks there first for any modified files.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

In TOAW III is an executable file called Classic TOAW Graphics.exe. If this file is put in TOAW IV would it apply the classic graphics which are .bmp format to TOAW IV?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I would say no, because the Classic Graphics are not included with TOAW IV.
They are converted to png's here:
tm.asp?m=4378126
or you can use Ralph's instruction in Post #2.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
Tell me about it, then you have the old "bmp crowd" that just could not let it go [:D]
Yeap, like me [8|]
The TOAW Redux Dude
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

I read an article years ago that stated that Europeans and Americans have different tastes in Graphics, Europeans like things more subtle, while Americans like things more cartoony. While obviously written by a European, I suspect that it has some basis in reality. I think that the artist did a great job of balancing between those two extremes. On the other hand, that's why I made so much effort to make sure that you can customize things.

Note that there are some extra graphics files that you may want to customize. Roads over snowy terrain and coastal terrain were added, I believe.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”