TopEverest vs Admiral Kamikaze - the rematch

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

topeverest

reserve armies

Post by topeverest »

Here is a view of the 10 reserve armies' composition

Attachments
777.jpg
777.jpg (968.87 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Andy M
bigbaba

RE: reserve armies

Post by bigbaba »

will you put all reserve armies under one front command or will you put them under the command of just one front which needs them most?

Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

You should keep the reserve armies closer to the front as someone already mentioned. Keep 100 miles between the front (>10 hexes) and they get the benefit of extra XP gain (if XP<morale/2).

Similar to German side, concentration of forces is the key, like pictured in the recent advice you received. All rested and full strength corps should be concentrated and brought to action, not held back here and there as a mere reserve.

In what shape are your attacking forces, morale/XP-wise? I noticed you pulled back units during the '42 autumn mud but not sure if you did it efficiently enough: I'd say that good practice during the mud is to make the line at the front as thin as possible (offensive CV is divided by 8, you can calculate from that), and preferably have the actual front line 10+miles in front of the MLR. Then you can rest and refit the main combat units either on the MLR while digging in at the same time, or bring them 100+ miles from the enemy to refit efficiently (if the rails aren't close to front) and rapidly gain lost morale and XP like mentioned above. Guards units should be all pumped up to national morale level to have them ready for the summer.

This is a great AAR and I like the fact you eagerly try to learn all the time! :)
topeverest

Turn 93 March 25, 1943

Post by topeverest »

Combat season ends

1. Germany takes 5 or so hexes in the turn and about 13 since the last update two turns ago all either around Moscow, Stalingrad or Krasnodar. Note he does not get to Stalingrad or Krasnodar
2. Russia continues sporadic counterattacks but does not take back all hexes lost to Germany
3. Russian air forces continue their ground attack strategy with similar results of roughly 5K casualties per turn
4. Russia creates 11 guard infantry corps
5. Russia continues to pull shock and tank armies together which will comprise the primary attack force
7. Russia has its first all guard cavalary army upgraded to 43 TOE, and that is pretty sweet in my mind. Now if I can only put it to good use in the upcoming attack
Andy M
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Good question

After some further study I have decided that
A - the main attack should be STAVKA due to the number of armies. but since the will be in close proximity, they will still have the top command benefits
B - the secondary attack will be with the Steppe front that I get May 20
C - I am still toying with the idea of a third front in the attack ,but she would be already on the board of course

Specifically I plan to use 5 shock armies and three tank armies in STAVKA as the mobile shock force.
Stepppe front will be a secondary force that may be a pincer or compliment
At least a handful of other armies will be offensively focused in the general attack zones.
ORIGINAL: bigbaba

will you put all reserve armies under one front command or will you put them under the command of just one front which needs them most?

Andy M
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Good advice here.

I am trying to complete a reorganization into an effective combined force, and I have WAY much more to do. First I have to complete the builds of the guard infantry corps which I plan to have entirely in reserve at the time of the summer campaign season. Then I have to complete the reorganization of the 'normal armies' and place air forces.
I am still toying with a para drop or two as we are allowed. Finally, I will be moving the attack formations up in a few weeks but I plan to disguise them...to make it hard to determine where the attack might come.

Finally I have to be prepared to stop any offensive action the enemy might launch on his first turn on summer
ORIGINAL: Nix77

You should keep the reserve armies closer to the front as someone already mentioned. Keep 100 miles between the front (>10 hexes) and they get the benefit of extra XP gain (if XP<morale/2).

Similar to German side, concentration of forces is the key, like pictured in the recent advice you received. All rested and full strength corps should be concentrated and brought to action, not held back here and there as a mere reserve.

In what shape are your attacking forces, morale/XP-wise? I noticed you pulled back units during the '42 autumn mud but not sure if you did it efficiently enough: I'd say that good practice during the mud is to make the line at the front as thin as possible (offensive CV is divided by 8, you can calculate from that), and preferably have the actual front line 10+miles in front of the MLR. Then you can rest and refit the main combat units either on the MLR while digging in at the same time, or bring them 100+ miles from the enemy to refit efficiently (if the rails aren't close to front) and rapidly gain lost morale and XP like mentioned above. Guards units should be all pumped up to national morale level to have them ready for the summer.

This is a great AAR and I like the fact you eagerly try to learn all the time! :)
Andy M
topeverest

A note on Corps Creation

Post by topeverest »

I cant remember which AAR I read it in but I seem to recall Stetleck noting he wasn't creating corps in 42 and that he was focused on creating them when he could make a guard corps

I am strongly leaning in that direction myself going forward, even though I clearly already built many corps that weren't guard.

Looking back on that, the combat value bonus for the three units combined isn't terribly material through 42.

Anyway, most of that will be for my next attempt at Russia
Andy M
topeverest

The Strategic Situation

Post by topeverest »

Here is a view of the combat season results.

Attachments
8879.jpg
8879.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 69 times
Andy M
topeverest

RE: The Strategic Situation

Post by topeverest »

Over the net several turns, I will commit to an attack strategy. The reserve armies in place now are not placed for attacking obviously.

Still quite a bit left to plan to get to the final attack location and plan. it will be critical to get a breakthrough and surround some 10-20 enemy divisions, so I can thin the herd and make progress the rest of the season.

THAT is the goal. Doing it is the hard part...
Andy M
Nix77

RE: A note on Corps Creation

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: topeverest

I cant remember which AAR I read it in but I seem to recall Stetleck noting he wasn't creating corps in 42 and that he was focused on creating them when he could make a guard corps

I am strongly leaning in that direction myself going forward, even though I clearly already built many corps that weren't guard.

Looking back on that, the combat value bonus for the three units combined isn't terribly material through 42.

Anyway, most of that will be for my next attempt at Russia

Summer '42 Rifle Corps ToE is weaker than the combined 2xRD+RB ToE, but the main effect from Corps creation is increasing unit density, and of course getting the "extra" guards unit status for one unit when combining them. Increasing the density means that you can mount an attack of 6 divisions and 3 brigades from a single hex, in the form of 3 corps. Use that density in your spearheads and important defensive positions!

In October '42 the Corps ToE gets a boost, and even non-guards Corps might be a good choice.
topeverest

Guards Eligibility Update

Post by topeverest »

As previously stated I did not manager guard matriculation at all. Following is an update forecasting what the rest of the year might look like.

1. infantry - 35 of 52 corps are guard. 62 of 340 division are guard and pending conversion to guard corps. 117 brigades, none of which are guard, and I am not trying to make them guards at this point. I calculated that I am right at maximum guard infantry units best I can calculate (30%). 172 of 552 equivalent divisions are guard.
2. cavalry - 5 guard corps of 20 total cavalry corps and 4 divisions. 7 more corps could reasonably become guard during the summer season
3. Armor - 5 guard of 37 corps. 10 more corps are reasonably close
4. Armies - no guard armies. 3 of 75 are on pace and could go guard during summer season. Another 6 more during the next winter

So - some good news (infantry) and rest is bad news (armor, cavalry, and armies). Actually this is fortunate considering I didn't manage it at all!

Attachments
guarddd.jpg
guarddd.jpg (835.82 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Andy M
topeverest

RE: A note on Corps Creation

Post by topeverest »

Agreed. I realize some infantry corps are needed because there is a need for counterpunch in 42. I see that now, but I didn't when I was playing it earlier in the game.

Obviously, every game is different, but I am thinking next time through I might limit non guard corps in 42 to 3 armies worth. But hey! I am still trying to organize appropriately.

Anyway such are the drivelings of a small mind.

Summer '42 Rifle Corps ToE is weaker than the combined 2xRD+RB ToE, but the main effect from Corps creation is increasing unit density, and of course getting the "extra" guards unit status for one unit when combining them. Increasing the density means that you can mount an attack of 6 divisions and 3 brigades from a single hex, in the form of 3 corps. Use that density in your spearheads and important defensive positions!

In October '42 the Corps ToE gets a boost, and even non-guards Corps might be a good choice.
Andy M
Nix77

RE: Guards Eligibility Update

Post by Nix77 »

As previously stated I did not manager guard matriculation at all. Following is an update forecasting what the rest of the year might look like.

1. infantry - 35 of 52 corps are guard. 62 of 340 division are guard and pending conversion to guard corps. 117 brigades, none of which are guard, and I am not trying to make them guards at this point. I calculated that I am right at maximum guard infantry units best I can calculate (30%). 172 of 552 equivalent divisions are guard.
2. cavalry - 5 guard corps of 20 total cavalry corps and 4 divisions. 7 more corps could reasonably become guard during the summer season
3. Armor - 5 guard of 37 corps. 10 more corps are reasonably close
4. Armies - no guard armies. 3 of 75 are on pace and could go guard during summer season. Another 6 more during the next winter

So - some good news (infantry) and rest is bad news (armor, cavalry, and armies). Actually this is fortunate considering I didn't manage it at all!

Use your non-guard brigades to for rifle corps with 2 guards divisions. Try to orchestrate easy wins for the tank corps & brigades that have the most wins, you really need the tank corps to be guards. Their efficiency as a breakthrough unit suffers if they're unpromoted (usually guards can pinch 1MP less from the enemy hex penalty).
topeverest

Turn 95 April 8, 1943

Post by topeverest »

Note - I have not expressly forbidden my esteemed opponent and friend from reading the AAR, as a result, I need to be a bit deceptive about the timing and location of my intended strategic attack.

1. 23 guard infantry corps left to build - AP's will not be a problem
2. rail capacity will be an issue, so I will have to move some troops by foot - joy - or leave them out of the attack. I will have to calculate further and advise
3. my goal with the attack is the breach the enemy line and surround / capture 10-20 units
4. to confuse the enemy where the attack might come, defense in considerable depth has been created across much of the theater. Other tricks also I am playing...
Andy M
Nix77

RE: Turn 95 April 8, 1943

Post by Nix77 »

Note - I have not expressly forbidden my esteemed opponent and friend from reading the AAR, as a result, I need to be a bit deceptive about the timing and location of my intended strategic attack.

1. 23 guard infantry corps left to build - AP's will not be a problem
2. rail capacity will be an issue, so I will have to move some troops by foot - joy - or leave them out of the attack. I will have to calculate further and advise
3. my goal with the attack is the breach the enemy line and surround / capture 10-20 units
4. to confuse the enemy where the attack might come, defense in considerable depth has been created across much of the theater. Other tricks also I am playing...

If you have a plethora (HA! finally got to use that word!) of APs, you might want to look into the unit motorization option. It has also a vehicle cost though, so it might not be a sensible choice in your situation.
ericv

Post by ericv »

South of Voronezh there is a string of 15 hexes filled with axis allies. I would definitely use that for farming win operations with the non-Guard Cavalry and Tank Corps. There are a lot of Tank Corps and some Cavalry Corps which can get to Guard status in just a couple of turns in that area.

On a sidenote : If you form a guard rifle corps from 2 guard divisions and a normal brigade. This guard rifle corps will consist thereafter of 2 guard divisions and 1 normal non-guard division. This non-guard division can get promoted to guard status as well while being part of the guard rifle corps.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Agree it is a good place to attack, and I have done a little. But I only just started to understand guard units. After the Mud and the success or failure of the first strategic soviet offensive, I will go back to it.

Also - I do build infantry guard corps with 2 guard inf div and 1 brigade.
ORIGINAL: ericv

South of Voronezh there is a string of 15 hexes filled with axis allies. I would definitely use that for farming win operations with the non-Guard Cavalry and Tank Corps. There are a lot of Tank Corps and some Cavalry Corps which can get to Guard status in just a couple of turns in that area.

On a sidenote : If you form a guard rifle corps from 2 guard divisions and a normal brigade. This guard rifle corps will consist thereafter of 2 guard divisions and 1 normal non-guard division. This non-guard division can get promoted to guard status as well while being part of the guard rifle corps.
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 98 - April 29 1943

Post by topeverest »

7 more turns of mud.

No substantive combat of any kind last several turns. The mud impact is just so impactful.

1. Germany has not moved 90% of its armor from the MLR. They pulled 8 combined divisions of mot arm from Stalingrad and Krasnodar. Additionally, they pulled back from Stalingrad and back to the Don where they were really close. Clearly the enemy is developing an offensive force (or reactive)
2. Russia has pulled are cavalry armor and mech into reserve and is refitting.
3. There are now 57 Guard infantry corps (still 5 armor and 5 cavalry guard corps) 8 more guard infantry corps to build.
4. Virtually all corps are on rails to weather the mud
5. in 2 turns, will begin the army organization piece into armies and backfilling a few spots on the MLR from the general reserve
6. decided on attempting a pincer attack to capture 10-20 enemy units, but not the location
7. calculated necessary rail capacity to move troops but leaning on not starting it on first turn of clear. I think I move troops into position on first turn - - - because of the trucks impacts.
8. speaking of trucks - doing well I think... They are on the steady rise 116 (114). I want to be as positive as possible so that as the attack progresses I will have a few turns of 100%
9. Beginning to investigate how to use Rocket launcher division and breakthrough artillery division. I need to test. I don't know their range or how to use. Example should I attach one to each army or create armies of artillery and rockets? Finally are these units you put in reserve status to limit enemy attacks chance of success? Anyway, work to do there too once the armies are fully organized

Attachments
morale2.jpg
morale2.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Andy M
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Seems VERY expensive to temporarily motorize a unit according to the rules.

If you have a plethora (HA! finally got to use that word!) of APs, you might want to look into the unit motorization option. It has also a vehicle cost though, so it might not be a sensible choice in your situation.
Andy M
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

With maybe 2 exceptions, I have only used it to quickly get minor ally garrison units forward. It is pretty steep expenditure-wise.

Return to “After Action Reports”