Stock VS Mod

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RedTaurus

Stock VS Mod

Post by RedTaurus »

I've been playing the stock games against the AI. And I still have a lot to learn - lol. In the AARs, it seems like most of those games are mods. Is there something wrong with the stock game that the mods fix, or have you all been playing so long that you are bored with stock so you made up mods?

T
btd64

RE: Stock VS Mod

Post by btd64 »

Your second choice. Although I did go back to stock on occasion....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Nothing wrong with stock scenarios that would render them unplayable. But mods add more units and more chrome (graphics), correct database glitches, and some alter parameters that affect combat results. All this either to render the game more historically accurate - in the eye of the mod designer - or to create alternate history 'what if' scenarios.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: RedTaurus

I've been playing the stock games against the AI. And I still have a lot to learn - lol. In the AARs, it seems like most of those games are mods. Is there something wrong with the stock game that the mods fix, or have you all been playing so long that you are bored with stock so you made up mods?

T

When many refer to stock it's the scenarios, not the patches and upgrades. So stock now is usually quite different than when the game was released and it's much improved.

Definitely upgrade to the latest beta patch to get fixes to bugs, better user interface, improvements to AA and air coordination, and lots of other useful things.

If you want to go even more historically accurate, try the DBB mods that are essentially reworked stock scenarios with more accurate AA, some reductions in cargo carrying to simulate real issues both sides had to face, and some other tougher fixes that make the game pace slow a bit and become less predictable.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

There is nothing wrong with the stock game. There are a lot of "ahistorical" or hypothetical mods available now. The most popular "historical" mod is DBB, which adds some units. I recently began two games of DBB: one DBB-lite, which modifies only the air and naval units, and one DBB, which changes some ground units as well. I have no interest in playing "ahistorical" or "hypothetical" mods, but for those who do, there are now several options.

In my opinion, much of the tinkering with the ground units in DBB adds more rear area clicking, which is not something that I relish. DBB-lite is my favorite campaign as it contains slightly more accurate naval and air units without extra rear-area clicking, but, the stock game with either the latest beta or offical patch is perfectly acceptable. I have no objection to playing stock, DBB, or DBB-lite. Finding a good opponent, who is friendly and committed to the game, is more important to enjoying the campaign than whether one plays stock or a mod.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”