AI

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
cosmoO

AI

Post by cosmoO »

Forgive my ignorance...but I don't understand what it means when they say that there is no scrip written for the AI. some of the messages, say you can play the AI, but there are no scrips written.

Does that mean,that the you can play a scenario, but that the AI isn't developed to enough to play with a decent strategy.

Not programmer savvy, so kinda confused, before I decide to buy this game.

Thanx for any input...
gbaby

RE: AI

Post by gbaby »

Folks who want to play Single Player have always desired to have a challenging experience. AI programming is not all that easy, especially with an operational game like TOAW.

Saying that, the AI in TOAW is really good. Strong in offense, not so much in defense (in my opinion).

The "script" you are noticing means the AI can be strengthened by a scenario designer by adding PO instrunctions to assist. This is to direct the AI to specific objectives, etc.

I have played scenarios where the AI has beat me good even without the PO! However, scenarios with a PO tend to surprise you more, which is what folks really want.

There are also some situations the AI finds too challenging to give you a good play, even with PO. With TOAW IV, that may have been improved, such as naval games with island hopping, etc. I'll never know till I finally play those with TOAW IV.

So hope that helps. The AI is good by itself, you can enable it for any scenario for either side. With PO, its even better.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Basic AI scripting is pretty simple, it's described in the manual, each formation has objectives you can set, this is the heart of the 'AI' The AI will try to advance or retreat along those tracks the best that it can. It's modified by things like whether or not it has global and local superiority and whether you may be flanking that formation. A good scenario has multiple 'tracks' for the units which may make the AI flank left, flank right or do something else based on conditions to make it less predictable. The scenario designer can also tell the AI how hard to push.

You can also have the AI fight some of your formations for you using many of the same tools for designing formation tracks and giving orders. I don't know how well it's documented, but you can also make changes to the formation paths and hit the X key and save off a '.ai' file to improve the current working of the AI if it's doing something really stupid. This is basically a list of objectives for each formation. It's a work in progress and I'm hoping to improve it when I get a chance. Some of the older scenarios could be improved a lot with better '.ai' files.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Some of the older scenarios could be improved a lot with better '.ai' files.
I'll see what I can do.

You store the *.ai file in the scenario specific folder in the GraphicsOverride folder right?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

hit the X key and save off a '.ai' file
If you do this while in the editor it saves a *.col file so I'm guessing you mean while you're in the
game.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

The AI file looks like something I can handle, XML.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (220.34 KiB) Viewed 120 times
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Larry, it looks like you are a couple of pay grades higher than I am.
Cheers
RAk
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ
Larry, it looks like you are a couple of pay grades higher than I am.
Cheers
RAk
I used to be a professional computer programmer.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Thanks Ralph, interesting information. I want the game now but have to wait till pay day, haha.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

XML and other basic coding e.g. .PHP with Notepad++ is indeed a piece of cake.

I shall give it a try for Kharkov '43... once I am done with the refitting of all German HQs TO&E (still giving me headaches what to put into them!).

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”