Easier to scroll

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Graybullet

Easier to scroll

Post by Graybullet »

I think it is not easy to scroll eastwards or southwards. Every time I have to find a very narrow region in which I can scroll (especially scrolling eastwards, maybe because of those control panels). I wonder if it is possible to maybe make this region larger. I don't really want to use arrow keys or drag the map (because sometimes I may accidentally click on my own counters so that dragging doesn't work). Thanks!
zakblood

RE: Easier to scroll

Post by zakblood »

it not something anyone else has mentioned tbh as yet, so do you mind posting a report to see if there's something in the report which may show up and give us more to go on regarding the issue etc? thanks and sorry for your issues

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Hi Zakblood,
Thanks for your reply! I just checked the whole forum and I don't think I am the first one that found this problem. I am not allowed to post links yet, but maybe you can look at the posts titled "Full-Screen Option" and "down screen arrow" in the main forum (I think both of them are now on the second page)
Maybe I am too sensitive to this problem, but I just want to see if there is any possibility that the scrolling experience can be further improved.
As for my DxDiag report, it contains many Chinese characters so I am not sure if you can read it. But all the three tabs say that there is no problem.
Thanks!
budd

Post by budd »

I agree the scrolling activating area seems small, especially down with the task bar popping up. I know i can hide it but it makes switching between the manual and game easier if i don't. I just use the mouse left click pull method or the number keys, nice that there's other options.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

I just want to add that the most ideal experience is that when we move our cursor to the edge of the whole screen (not the edge of the window), the map can still scroll.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Yeah, scrolling with the mouse is really problematic. For instance I have set the Windows taskbar to auto-hide so scrolling down is basically impossible. And no, requiring the user to set the task bar visible before playing is *not* a solution.

On the left I have another monitor, so I have to be really careful not to overshoot. On the top of course, there's the menu and the title bar... So yeah, one of the reasons I wanted WASD controls...

I know for instance the old SPWAW games had an option to set the number of pixels to use for triggering the mouse scrolling, can't seem to find something like this in the options.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

There are already too many options, I hate to add more, but I may have to. You can also drag the map, use the micromap or jump map to navigate, click on an empty map space and use the arrow keys.[8D]
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

I really appreciate your hard work, ralphtrick! I just feel that moving the cursor to the edge might be one the most "natural" ways to scroll the map.
budd

Post by budd »

i don't know guys the left click and grab works pretty well. If you have a mouse with a bunch of buttons and you can map the buttons to keyboard keys, i just programmed my extra mouse buttons to move the map. i actually like it better than edge scrolling.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Just new to the game, never played TOAW before.
I also found that scrolling southwards is almost imposible no matter how slowly I move the mouse.
What I found it solves the problem is hiding the "info line" panel.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Thanks for your suggestion, budd!
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Yes, I think it has something to do with bars and panels (info bars and control panels). After I hide them, scrolling becomes much easier. So I tried to hide the info bar and move the control panels on the right a little bit away from the edge. But another problem is that the game will not remember my setting after I shut down the game, so I have to do all the things again next time. I was wondering if an alternative way to solve this problem is to remember our in-game layout.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Graybullet

Yes, I think it has something to do with bars and panels (info bars and control panels). After I hide them, scrolling becomes much easier. So I tried to hide the info bar and move the control panels on the right a little bit away from the edge. But another problem is that the game will not remember my setting after I shut down the game, so I have to do all the things again next time. I was wondering if an alternative way to solve this problem is to remember our in-game layout.
It will happen sometime, but I need time to do it right. I can see people accidentally moving things and being unable to run the program because of that.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: Graybullet

Thanks for your suggestion, budd!
Your welcome [:)]
Ok I found out another way without hiding info panel bar nor windows task bar to move the map downwards, just move your mouse cursor all the way down of your screen and then bring it up to the bottom of the game window, that will start moving the map down.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Thanks! It really works, although I still hope that maybe we can have a better scrolling experience sometime in the future [:)]

Return to “Tech Support”