Intel Monkey 1.0 Pre-Beta

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Intel Monkey 1.0 Pre-Beta

Post by witpqs »

In the above pic you see on the right side an area where EVERY field can be filtered on and/or sorted on. Filters can be typed in directly on that main report screen, but many times it is easier to click on "Edit" and use the pop-up.

Many pop-ups contain pick lists, like this list of bases. Here you see the result of Wake Island being selected, then submitted by "Enter Selected". That put the filter into the edit box below. Notice the item to be filtered on is between vertical bars |like this|. The first part of a filter is the filter command, in this case INEM, but you never have to fill that in manually (or remember it) unless you want to. More on that later.

Attachments
IMSigIntBase01.jpg
IMSigIntBase01.jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

After I clicked "Done" the pop-up closed. Back on the main report screen I also clicked on the check mark in the Date filter to change that from "Active" (see earlier pic) to "Inactive". I left the soft selection for Date as it was. Notice the Base filter near the bottom. It is "Active" but not blue like Date was before. Instead it's a lighter color. The lighter color signifies that it has changed since the last time filters and sorts were actually "Executed". It's sort of like giving an assistant a bunch of orders all at once and then finally saying "OK, now go do it!". In Intel Monkey reports "Execute" is "Go do it!".

Attachments
IMSigInt02.jpg
IMSigInt02.jpg (492.85 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

And here is what things look like after pressing "Execute Active Filters & Sorts".

Attachments
IMSigInt03.jpg
IMSigInt03.jpg (380.09 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

A little more on the filters pop-up. Notice the buttons INclude/EXclude, Exact/Contains, Match case/No match case. By toggling those choices you control what filter is made. In the prior example we INcluded Wake Island, but we could also have said to Exclude Wake Island and we would have seen all the records where Base was not Wake Island. Here is the break down.

IN means include.
EX means exclude.

E means an exact match. So |Wake Island| would not match "Wake Island Atoll".
C means contains. So |Wake Island| would match "Wake Island Atoll".

M means match case. |wake island| would not match "Wake Island".
N means no match case. |wake island| would match "Wake Island".

Notice just below those radio buttons is a large button that says "Insert Blank Template...". Right now it also says "[INEM ||]", which is the actual blank template it will insert. If you change one of the radio buttons, perhaps switch from Exact to Contains, that will change accordingly, in our example to "[INCM ||]".

But what does it mean to insert a blank template? Press the button and that template will be inserted into the editing just below. Then you can enter your own filter term between the vertical bars. Experiment for yourself. Try out the |wake island| example described above with Match case and No match case to get a feel for how it works.

Attachments
IMSigIntSubjType01.jpg
IMSigIntSubjType01.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Earlier you saw the pick list for bases. Here is a different type of pick list. I chopped off this screen pic because the list of ship types is very long so it goes top to bottom of the monitor and you can scroll it even further.

Attachments
IMSigIntSubjType02.jpg
IMSigIntSubjType02.jpg (70.58 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

After you click on a ship type the filter will be added to the filter box. In this pic I have also then open up the other pick list for "Ship Groups".

Attachments
IMSigIntSubjType03.jpg
IMSigIntSubjType03.jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

When I clicked on one of them the appropriate filter was inserted. As you can see that filter has multiple terms!

Here are the overall rules. A filter starts with "[". Then comes the four letter command (in this case it is "INEM"). A space " " separates the command and the first filter term, then the term is enclose in vertical bars (for example |DD|). If there are additional filter terms they should be separated from each other by a space " ".

Notice also that we can have multiple filters at once. They are all combined before being given to the database when we pres "Execute".

Attachments
IMSigIntSubjType04.jpg
IMSigIntSubjType04.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Here is the main report screen after we pressed "Done".

Attachments
IMSigInt04.jpg
IMSigInt04.jpg (473.87 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

And then here it is again after we pressed "Execute".

Attachments
IMSigInt05.jpg
IMSigInt05.jpg (310.33 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

So how do sorts work? Here is an example.

To make an example that show things clearly I created a filter with all the warship type. Notice the sorts that are active. I wanted to sort by ship type, then ship name, then date.

The SigInt report covers all Sigint so the field names are generic to account for LCU or whatever might show up. "SubjType" will give us the ship type, so that is Active with Sort Level 1. "Subject" will give us the ship name and is Active with Sort Level 2. "Date" is Active with Sort Level 3. Think of Sort Levels as priority: priority 1 is higher than priority 2, and so on.

Look at the results and see how the list sorted as we wanted.

Attachments
IMSigInt06.jpg
IMSigInt06.jpg (463.22 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Filters and Sorts work the same way on all report screens. Pick lists only help you to make a filter; if you type in the exact same filter it will work the exact same way. When there is no pick list for what you want you can use the radio buttons plus the "Insert Blank Template" button to construct the command you want, then either type in or copy-paste in what you want to filter on.

Filter pop-ups for date fields are set up differently, they are customized for dates.

Filter pop-ups for hex numbers are also customized for, well, hex numbers.

In both cases you can type in what you want or use the construction buttons provided.

Dates have some extra commands. You might have already noticed the "[LAST |30|]" data filter that most report screens start with when you open them. That means "the last 30 days that are in the database". You can also specify start and end dates. Here is a look at a date pop-up. You can set a date and then click on Start, End, or enter a single date. You can also exclude a single date. Or you can select one of the preset LAST buttons. Of course, as with all filters you can also type directly into the edit box.

Attachments
IMSigIntDate01.jpg
IMSigIntDate01.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Here is that last SigInt report with our date filter added and all other settings the same.

Attachments
IMSigInt07.jpg
IMSigInt07.jpg (219.29 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

This is what a hex number pop-up looks like. You get the idea by now.

Attachments
IMSigIntHex01.jpg
IMSigIntHex01.jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I had to reduce the resolution on this one to make it fit the forum limit. This is the Damage Report, which shows damage to bases and industry (it's one of the Combat reports). Notice there are so many fields we have to scroll to use the filter boxes. In this case I sorted first by Loc (location) and second by Date.

I also filtered on "Fires" using filter "[EXEM ||]". EX means exclude, and notice the filter term is empty! So I have told it to exclude all blank "Fires". The result is a report showing only records that have Fires, sorted by location and date.

To make that filter I opened the pop-up for the Fires field, clicked the radio button to change from INclude to EXclude, then I click "Enter Blank Template". Voila!

Attachments
IMDamage01.jpg
IMDamage01.jpg (499.32 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Here is the Battles report showing all mentions of "CV Akagi". The filter is [INCM |CV Akagi|]. It has to be C for Contains because the Battle field is the entire text of the battle. Also notice if we said |Akagi| instead of |CV Akagi| we would also get battles containing squadrons with "Akagi" in their name instead of just "CV Akagi" as we want.

PS: Remember to always limit Battles with a date filter or (as here) with some other restrictive filter. Otherwise the report can get too large. 1 day of battles is the full AE Combat report!

Attachments
IMBattles01.jpg
IMBattles01.jpg (433.37 KiB) Viewed 458 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

That's all for now. Questions?
MichaelU

Post by MichaelU »

This is so cool. I remember using an earlier version in my last campaign and it was superb for trying to work out what Japanese units were defending a particular base. Thanks so much for making my life that little bit easier and more fulfilling.

So, I am planning to invade base X. Is there any way I can look for any reference to base X in the sigint and combat reports, to see what has been reported planning for, at the base, shipping to the base or having actually fought at the base?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: MichaelU

This is so cool. I remember using an earlier version in my last campaign and it was superb for trying to work out what Japanese units were defending a particular base. Thanks so much for making my life that little bit easier and more fulfilling.

So, I am planning to invade base X. Is there any way I can look for any reference to base X in the sigint and combat reports, to see what has been reported planning for, at the base, shipping to the base or having actually fought at the base?
First off, there will be a Garrison Report that combines queries to SigInt and Combat report data. That will come after some other things get done, but the idea is that by specifying a base you will get a report on any enemy LCU that has been reported at the base (SigInt, Combat), on the way to the base (SigInt), planning for the base (SigInt) and maybe other things we think of by then.

For now, in the SigInt report you can filter and sort to see whatever SigInt data is there. In SigInt the "Base" field is often the object of attention: planning for, based at, moving to, etc. Filter on the base you are interested in and see what turns up. Remember to sort helpfully too. If you filter on that base and sort first by "Subject", then by "Date", you will see any records for each LCU interested in the base grouped together. That will make it easier to tell how many different LCU you are dealing with. Of course, if an LCU was at the target but then later seen somewhere else you want to know that. So after you get a list of LCU you might want to paste those names into a filter (sorting by Subject and Date) to see where is the most recent place each one turned up. The Garrison Report will carry out that second step automatically when it is implemented.

You should also looked at the LCU Report (one of the Combat reports) and likewise filter on Location, sorting by LCU and Date. That report lists all LCU which have been seen in a combat report, whether ground combat, air strikes, naval bombardment... any appearance of an LCU in a combat report. In the LCU Report you should also filter by side to include only enemy units in case you had some of your LCU at the base previously. And the same as with SigInt applies to determine if an enemy LCU has moved elsewhere since it was seen there. Again, this will be done automatically by the Garrison Report when it is implemented.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Migrating to the 'new' Google Sites yields a new URL.

https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Just to give an indication of what this can currently do, and there is more in the pipeline form WITPQS, this was pulled together using the Sigint and Battle reports and looking at the game map.

MGEN Festing, commanding the 72nd British Bde is approaching Linhsi from the NW and requests Intel on what is currently there. He gets his IntelMonkeys to work….

Sigint has intercepted signals that yield the presence of the 107th/C Division & the 7th Manchukuo Cav Brigade. There are reports that there are in total 4 units in occupation.

The 72nd recently helped to liberate Tolun and has been following up since the 1st January 1945. Again the MGEN asks for any evidence of the above units being engaged there and finds they have not been encountered before. He proceeds on the basis that they are fresh and potentially dug in.

His air liaison officer does point out to him that the 107th/C Division has been bombed and strafed by B-25H Mitchells, B-25J1 Mitchells, and A-20G Havocs on the 6th January and encountered minimal flak. Given the light ground attacks so far there will be little damage or disruption to them but there are many air assets ready to be deployed should he feel the need.

MGEN Rees commanding the 254th Armoured Bde overlooking the enemy forces occupying Chifeng also wishes his IntelMonkeys to update him on the current situation.

Air attacks there have been made against the
107th/A Division
107th/B Division
23rd/C Division
23rd Tank Regiment
205th JAAF AF Bn
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
28th/B Division
205th JAAF AF Bn

These have been daily attacks since the start of the year, it is estimated that all the units in the city will be somewhat degraded.

Sigint from 1944 has placed 205th JAAF AF Bn there since 11 Sept 1944, and 6th Manchukuo Inf Brigade since 18 Sept 1944. There are reports of 21 units in the city but some of these will be fugitives from Jehol.

Intel records confirm that
1st RGC Division
11th Tank Regiment
4th Manchukuo Distr/A Division
1st Manchukuo/C Division
RGC Capital Brigade
107th/A Division
2nd Tank/B Division
2nd Tank/A Division
107th/B Division
201st JAAF AF Bn
174th JAAF AF Bn
27th Fld AA Gun Co
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
56th Field AA Battalion
3rd JAAF AF Coy
85th Field AA Battalion
85th JAAF AF Coy

were all routed in the fall of Jehol and seen to be retreating towards Chihfeng. He feels confident that most of the above will be disorganised and demoralised and are more a drain on the city’s supply than an effective part of its defences.
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”