TOAW Scenario Archive

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
IslandInland

TOAW Scenario Archive

Post by IslandInland »

I was just googling around for TOAW scenario download sites other than Rugged Defense and I happened upon this site. http://www.alternatewars.com/Games/TOAW/TOAW.htm

It is the work of a user here, RyanCrierie and contains hundreds of scenarios for the older versions of TOAW. I'm not sure how many would work with IV but it's an invaluable resource none the less and represents a lot of work on Ryan's part.

tm.asp?m=4166348

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
*Lava*

RE: TOAW Scenario Archive

Post by *Lava* »

Great find!

Thanks!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

That right there doubles the value of the game.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

But I believe it's still true that many will not work if they were designed for an older version of TOAW. The will have to be "fixed."

So, be careful and don't be surprised if you get scenario errors.

My guess is that the TOAW III are likely more appropriate to try first.

Can any devs confirm this?
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

There are two things to note about trying one of those old scenarios:

1. Some scenarios might have a separate folder beside the ".sce" scenario file. In case of TOAWIV, this folder needs to be copied to "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\graphics override". The scenario will find it there.

2. If you get a "you are using the wrong equipment file" error when starting one of these old scenarios (this may or may not happen), you can quickly fix it by opening it in the Editor, and saving it, overwriting your previous copy of it.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: Tamas

There are two things to note about trying one of those old scenarios:

1. Some scenarios might have a separate folder beside the ".sce" scenario file. In case of TOAWIV, this folder needs to be copied to "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\graphics override". The scenario will find it there.

2. If you get a "you are using the wrong equipment file" error when starting one of these old scenarios (this may or may not happen), you can quickly fix it by opening it in the Editor, and saving it, overwriting your previous copy of it.

Thanks for the heads up.

XXXCorps
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

But I believe it's still true that many will not work if they were designed for an older version of TOAW. The will have to be "fixed."

If you want 'quick and dirty' conversions, try this archive:

TOAW3 Legacy Packs Parts 1-42

This contains 415 scenarios converted by the “TOAW Legacy Project” and stored on the Game Squad File Depot in 42 separate files. I took the liberty of downloading them all, and then combining them in a single file for ease of downloading.

These are old scenarios from TOAW I/WOTY/II that were converted into the new TOAW3 engine so that you can play them again. The conversion process is totally mechanical and none of these scenarios have been modified in any way from the original. The conversion process itself is not perfect and so there will almost certainly be conversion errors. The most common ones are events being messed up, units with inappropriate icons, and, possibly map errors.

BTW; it appears that the Game Squad File Depot is now MIA. So I guess I was just in time last year in backing them up. [X(]
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie
ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

If you want 'quick and dirty' conversions, try this archive:

TOAW3 Legacy Packs Parts 1-42

This contains 415 scenarios converted by the “TOAW Legacy Project” and stored on the Game Squad File Depot in 42 separate files. I took the liberty of downloading them all, and then combining them in a single file for ease of downloading.

These are old scenarios from TOAW I/WOTY/II that were converted into the new TOAW3 engine so that you can play them again. The conversion process is totally mechanical and none of these scenarios have been modified in any way from the original. The conversion process itself is not perfect and so there will almost certainly be conversion errors. The most common ones are events being messed up, units with inappropriate icons, and, possibly map errors.

BTW; it appears that the Game Squad File Depot is now MIA. So I guess I was just in time last year in backing them up. [X(]

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

[:)]
XXXCorps

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”