First Impressions

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
gbaby

First Impressions

Post by gbaby »

I'm floored. What an incredible improvement.

First I'm playing on a 2560x1440 monitor and everything is sharp and clean. Even the very small text is easy to read. Head and shoulders above the previous version.

1) Zoom changes on the map really surprised me. It is SO FAST! Nothing like the previous version. Absolutely an outstanding job.

2) The UI is just unbelievable. So much easier! The new info panel blows away previous, which I never bothered to glance, now I find I really use it. It is actually helpful! The UI changes overall are brilliantly done, at the same time still making previous TOAW players feel at home.

3) I only played a scenario for a few turns, but experienced BTS and it is very helpful. The new battle report panels are also very helpful. I don't want to play without now.

Overall my expectations are extremely exceeded. The videos previously seen just don't do it justice. I'm already satisfied that the purchase was well worth it.

Thanks to ALL the folks who worked on this. Incredible result. [&o]
cdcool

RE: First Impressions

Post by cdcool »

The font and menus are all adjustable within the game and the Opart3/4 Fonts.ini file
If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

But I found I liked the default ones at 2560x1440, everything seems perfect. Of course, its nice to be able to experiment with it, but I love the default, for some reason.

I also noticed you can change the UI to the old shool static one. I will be avoiding that. The new floating info boxes are just so much superior.
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

But I found I liked the default ones at 2560x1440, everything seems perfect. Of course, its nice to be able to experiment with it, but I love the default, for some reason.

I also noticed you can change the UI to the old shool static one. I will be avoiding that. The new floating info boxes are just so much superior.

Can you move the floating info boxes to another monitor if you have a multiple monitor setup?
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

First impression - it's beautiful! I've owned every game in the series and it's a long time favourite. Looking forward to replaying some of those campaigns via this stunning new interface.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

The floating info boxes remain in place, they just float above the map, allowing the map to extend beyond the old boundary. But everything is statically placed, not movable, not a window to place in other monitor.

However, as would be expected, you can resize the games window to span multiple monitors.

My three monitors are pretty large in physical size, so the games default smallest text for 2560x1440 resolution is very easy to read, so I've been happy to keep on one monitor.

The only issue is the jump map, which is so small, but its the same as the previous versions. It is still helpful to move around quickly, but it is still very hard to see unit placements, too tiny. But everything else is so much improved that this does not hinder me in expressing my appreciation of this new game.

blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

The floating info boxes remain in place, they just float above the map, allowing the map to extend beyond the old boundary. But everything is statically placed, not movable, not a window to place in other monitor.

However, as would be expected, you can resize the games window to span multiple monitors.

My three monitors are pretty large in physical size, so the games default smallest text for 2560x1440 resolution is very easy to read, so I've been happy to keep on one monitor.

The only issue is the jump map, which is so small, but its the same as the previous versions. It is still helpful to move around quickly, but it is still very hard to see unit placements, too tiny. But everything else is so much improved that this does not hinder me in expressing my appreciation of this new game.

Thanks!
olaui13

Post by olaui13 »

I just bought it :) Its very nice :) Thank you very much guys.. And price is very realistic.

[&o]
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: olaui13

I just bought it :) Its very nice :) Thank you very much guys.. And price is very realistic.

[&o]
THanks for your support!
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

[:(]I can't wait, but the Download is very fast 800 KB/sec, double my normal wifi data transfer, probably a new TOAW IV features ?

1) download ok 10min.
2) installation ok 15min. (damned directX)
3) WOW
4) fantastic zoom
5) .........sorry but i must return to game [:)]

jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: olaui13

[&o]
+1
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

speeds is dependent on how many previously have grabbed it, as it's cloud storage, so will in theory on a big game max out almost everyone's home lines, except maybe the swedes[:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
griffon29200

Post by griffon29200 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

except maybe the swedes[:D]

The swedes ..... and me
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

How is it zakblood? I'm waiting for your official recommendation, as I almost always do... Thanks
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

except maybe the swedes

Damned Swedes[:@]

Hoeist6634

Post by Hoeist6634 »

Thanks to everyone who made this game! It's so rich in content and looks beautiful. Will have many hours of happy wargaming ahead of me!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

How is it zakblood? I'm waiting for your official recommendation, as I almost always do... Thanks

looks really good and interesting but atm i haven't the time to play it, didn't do the beta, but have watched a few twitch stream and it really interested me in the amount of options and ability to play almost anything in the time frame, i want a good Arnhem battle to really get into, so with the editor could throw one together in a short space of time and just that one would be worth the money for me.

but yes i'd recommend it just for the scale and options and what's on offer, 300 battles and the amount of mods that will come out will be large, and the price is very good, which helps sales imo
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: griffon29200

ORIGINAL: zakblood

except maybe the swedes[:D]

The swedes ..... and me

i only have a 200/200mb cable line but have more than a few friends in Finland and elsewhere with much much quicker[:@]
FlyByKnight

Post by FlyByKnight »

This is my first experience with this "Operational art of War" series. I am impressed by the variety of scenarios that are available.
ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Happy you like the UI and art changes guys :)

This was a long walk, with many hurdles for the complete core development team of just four guys. But I really think we gave this absolute classic, which is one of my all time favorite games along with the Close Combat series, some fresh and useful changes. I know we can not please everybody, but I'm happy with the first reception! Thanks again guys.

The marketing team did a fantastic job with the short video tutorials on YouTube. Damn, I wish this would have been the case a decade or two ago :D

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”