Cross border skirmish - struggling to find artillery

Shifting Sands traces the history of many Arab-Israeli conflicts: from the sidelines of the Suez crisis, through the lightning Six-Day War, the guerilla-like War Of Attrition and the strategic surprise of the Yom Kippur War, all the way to the historic Osirak raid and the epic air battle over the Bekaa Valley
Kaldadarnes

Cross border skirmish - struggling to find artillery

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Hi, I am playing cross border skirmish but my meteors cannot locate the firing artillery (although they seem to be flying right over them...)? Generally I struggle to get recconaisnance to find anything - not sure if I have the mission set up wrong.

Any help gratefully received...(save attached)

Cheers

K
Attachments
CBS.zip
(103.91 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Omnia Videmus
ultradave

RE: Cross border skirmish - struggling to find artillery

Post by ultradave »

When I played it they needed to fly very close to the artillery location, and if I remember I kept them down to 8-10,000 ft. You'll find some AA first so you'll have to avoid them. Basically I set up a north south north south stepping pattern, gradually moving east. Cover all the way to the no fly zones or close to them. Hope that helps.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Andrea G

Post by Andrea G »

I made them fly really low, 2000 meters, spotted them and be fired upon by the AAA.

To mantain contact with the artilley sites I moved the Jeeps and Recon APC near them; I expected to be fired upon also but the AAA didn't engage the ground forces; finally shell them with your artillery.

Suggestion: would it be possible to add some Syrian ground forces also, to protect the artilley from Israeli ground units?
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

Ah - I wondered about that - i left to the default mission pattern but recce from 25k feet is probably challenging for small targets such arillery.

Good idea to move the jeeps into visible range also.

Thanks
Omnia Videmus
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah go low. Altitude matters.

Mike
ljdramone

Post by ljdramone »

If you go to "Game -> Browse Scenario Platforms" and select the Syrian 152mm artillery battery, the Database Viewer shows a visual detection range of 0.5 nm (about 3000 feet, or roughly 1000 meters).

The recon cameras on the Israeli Gloster Meteors probably increase this range some, but slant range matters too -- if you fly directly overhead at 20,000 feet you'll still be more than 3 nm away from the target.

A recon pass along the scarp of the Golan Heights at about 3,000 feet AGL worked for me.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

There's cloud cover too, if I recall? You need to get below that. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
ljdramone

Post by ljdramone »

There's no cloud cover in this scenario. Weather is clear, 25 C, wind/sea 0.

Good point though, visual or optical recon with a cloud layer between you and the target is not going to be very productive.
ljdramone

Post by ljdramone »

Suggestion: would it be possible to add some Syrian ground forces also, to protect the artilley from Israeli ground units?
Or maybe set the Syrian AA guns to engage opportunity targets, so they'll shoot at Israeli vehicles that get too close? I found I could drive the Israeli tanks and halftracks right up to the Syrian batteries and gun them down with .50 cal (12.7mm).
kch

Post by kch »

I use the Meteors at around 8000 ft.. that way they don't get engaged by AA, but will detect any artillery that is firing.

Then I use the few Soltam batteries to engage any AA batteries I may detect and then launch a multi-aircraft strike against the artillery and the near AA.

Return to “Command: Shifting Sands”