[Deleted]

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
rico21

RE: How many memorable wargame moments do you remember?

Post by rico21 »

I played a champagne and petits fours game so long ago that I forgot the name.
I played so many beer and pretzels games that I do not know which one.
And I recently played a toilet paper game that I would not name to not hurt someone.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Bushwhacked a Japanese player in AE just north of Espirito Santos. My own, personal version of Midway
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: larrybush

3) Played World in Flames at my place and an Air Force Captain played the Axis - He totally cleaned our clocks! Took Gibraltar, took Malta, took North Africa, then totally destroyed the Soviet Union. There was 6 of us, all seasoned WIF players, this guy was brilliant!

His first name wouldn't have been Mike would it?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I purchased SPI's War in the East when it became available and poured over it the first week before playing my gaming buddy and realized the Germans could be stopped cold in the first year and from then on it was trench warfare. He wasn't happy and tried to convince me I was wrong in what I did. Sent a letter off to SPI (yes letter, it was that long ago) and received a reply that I was correct in what I did. We never played the game again because it was so lopsided.

For some obscure reason I still have it. :P
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

In KOEI's PTO on Sega(maybe) playing as the Japanese. Instead of attacking Pearl I attacked and captured San Francisco and Los Angles. Poor AI was dumb as a box of rocks.

In HPS Nap Wagram I remember my cavalry flanking the Austrian cannons. Cresting a hill they charged and wiped out four batteries that were firing on my infantry.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

A 3 vs 3 samurai game at a convention, one player per samurai. Sounds unremarkable, except each samurai could regain a few hit points at the end of each turn by insulting their opponents. Clean language only.

Got some weird looks from passer bys who (lacking any context) just heard:
"I would make fun of you, but I doubt you could understand it"
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Beat my Sgt in basic playing Squad Leader, told I was not allowed to use it for the remainder of Basic :) I occasionally recall this.

Beat Warsaw with a suicide attack on HQ units in Nato the Next War. Rules glitch, you couldn't secure victory points without an HQ.

Defeated Japanese in Malaysia with the British. Can't recall board game name.

All during the 70s. It's been a long time.

So many good memories of Sgt Kelso 9-1 Please tell me everyone knows what I just said :)

I must say though, the 80s were more fun playing Dungeons and Dragons which for my gang began by playing a mutated copy of the Time Tripper board game. Although they always thought it was odd the way I role gamed.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Playing AH PanzerBlitz in my teen age 1960's w/o line of sight rules. My Hummuls and Wespes murdered my middle aged neighbor that I introduced the game to. He went and bought every AH title afterwards.
Then playing AH Up Front and wiping out every member of a Japanese Banzai charge.
Many memorable moments playing Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin: my Tiger tank slew every soviet tank except for one last round that got me and went it up in flames as I went over a cliff(German Toast)
This thread gives me many memories so thanks for starting it.[:)]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I generally don't do multiplayer, but there was this one game when Battle Academy was introduced that was incredibly tense right to the end. Maybe I should start playing more MP, but time and my poor play puts a damper on the idea!
stevemk1a

Post by stevemk1a »

It's not any specific moment, but I remember playing an all night session of ASL Red Barricades in the early 90's. I was living in our first basement apartment with my girlfriend My best friend's younger brother come over to play (one of the only guys I knew in town also into ASL) ... he was the Germans. I convinced my girlfriend to stick our cat in the bedroom with her when she went to bed [:)] . We played all night and it was winter in northern BC so temperatures were -40C, but we still made a late nite McDonalds run to sustain us ... It was hopeless to try and finish anything significant in that monster game before I had to give the GF a ride to her early shift the next morning at the restaurant she waitressed at, but I still remember the smack talk and good time we had anyway ...

Married the girlfriend and much later lost the wife, eventually lost track of my opponent ... but I still have the ASL stuff in storage somewhere, and that night sticks in my head [8D]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I once played a game of Civilization II for 72 hours before finishing it.

Then there was my last multiplayer online game I played Age of Empires and some yoyo cause he was losing hacked the game or did something that turned catapults to Elephants and Cavalry into Police cars and ruined the game.

To this day I will not play multiplayer with other people involved (online) because of that experience.

I'll play an MMO cause I don't really have to deal with azzhats and azzholes like the one I encountered in Age of Empires.

Even in PBEM games I've tried with Combat Mission there are still azzhats and azzholes in them as well. They selected or built a game and give me nothing but infantry while they take everything the game has got to give and then wonder why I won't play them anymore.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I don't know if it is considered a wargame as much as a simulation, but the first time I sank a carrier in Silent Service II was pretty awesome.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Panzer General-Finally storming up the Potomac to become the greatest PG in history.

Medieval Total War-Built a huge Turkish army and crushed the Mongol horde on the turn it showed up in one epic battle.

Rome TW Barbarian Invasion-The Western Roman Empire scenario was described as a mess in the guide at another forum. I won in 16 turns. I inspired another fellow to follow my plan and he won in 13 turns.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthrea ... ion)/page7

Steel Panthers-My German panzer force defeated 100 British AFV's with 10 infantry companies in a defensive battle with no losses at all to my Germans. Then I did the same to a Russian force of similar size.

GG's War in Russia-Used the Axis' long range aircraft to bomb the Russian oil wells from HQ bases in Romania. By the end of 1941 their Operational Points were down by a third, crippling everything they could do.

Ageod's Civil War II-Blitzed D.C. in October 1861, crushing the maxed out Union AI.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Panzer General-Finally storming up the Potomac to become the greatest PG in history.

Medieval Total War-Built a huge Turkish army and crushed the Mongol horde on the turn it showed up in one epic battle.

Rome TW Barbarian Invasion-The Western Roman Empire scenario was described as a mess in the guide at another forum. I won in 16 turns. I inspired another fellow to follow my plan and he won in 13 turns.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthrea ... ion)/page7

Steel Panthers-My German panzer force defeated 100 British AFV's with 10 infantry companies in a defensive battle with no losses at all to my Germans. Then I did the same to a Russian force of similar size.

GG's War in Russia-Used the Axis' long range aircraft to bomb the Russian oil wells from HQ bases in Romania. By the end of 1941 their Operational Points were down by a third, crippling everything they could do.

Ageod's Civil War II-Blitzed D.C. in October 1861, crushing the maxed out Union AI.

you know what you just showed there? How bad the ai is in all those games. [:D]
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Yes, no Skynet yet.

"Homo Deus"
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Playing WW2 tabletop with Bish Iwaszko in 1968 - including revolutionary use of a logarithmic distance measure.

http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.uk/ ... %20Iwaszko
krakowca

Post by krakowca »

Playing Columbia Games EastFront using their block system. Three player game with 2 as the Germans. Overall commander tells me to exit German units off the East map edge (something we never did before as that is basically behind Moscow and Stalingrad). Well somehow I managed to do this with several units, turned to him and said "Now What?"

Return to “General Discussion”