tyronec (Axis) vs Grognard1812. Grognard welcome.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

tyronec

tyronec (Axis) vs Grognard1812. Grognard welcome.

Post by tyronec »

My first game under v11.1.01 so looking forward to seeing how the new patch works out.
The AAR is running one turn behind, hope this works out without impacting the game. Am looking forward to some entertaining debate with my opponent.
We are playing all default rules; no bonuses, no para drops, restricted amphib, server game, Sudden Death.

Standard opening move.
The big change is the air war: I have now started two games and T1 am getting 6-800 less kills. The reason is the degrading of the Romanian TACs and two German ones to Ground Attack. This should also see the Soviet TACs reduced in effect as don't think they have any dive bombers, however the result may be mitigated in their case if they are taking less losses. IMO this is a good enhancement, the two super weapons of the early war were German tanks and Stukas and WITE reflects this well.

Strategy.
Not much change from the previous version. I will push hard on all fronts and see what opportunities Grognard gives me.
Am glad to be playing without the '+1', which rather cramps the Axis freedom of movement.
With the increased cost of HQBuildups am planning to spend my APs as follows:
T1 - Leaders. I assigned Kluge to OKH and got that twit Jodl again as his replacement but can't be helped.
T2 - Reorganising 11th Army, infantry out of Pz. and overloaded Corps, Leaders
T3 - Probably more leaders
T4 onwards - Perhaps 1 HQB a turn on average, SUs to the right places, Leaders
Also need to consider how best to organise my Pz. Corps to make best use of the HQBs.
Have noticed some players assigning security divisions out of AGN/C/S, am not doing this and unsure if it is worth the APs

Attachments
T1.jpg
T1.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1194 times
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
Telemecus

RE: tyronec (Axis) vs Grognard1812. Grognard welcome.

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: tyronec
Have noticed some players assigning security divisions out of AGN/C/S, am not doing this and unsure if it is worth the APs

I do this for North and Centre - but not South. My only reason is to get effective north and centre army group leaders come blizzard - often by reassigning one army to north. Getting rid of the extras in 101 and 102 RHG makes a huge difference if you are removing 6 command penalties over an army group to leave it with none - an effect over the whole army group. Although I consider it only to be valuable for the morale (in which Jodl is quite a good candidate? - and in your case it would get him out of an army command too!) Doing it at the beginning means it only costs 6 points. Doing it after broken into regiments would mean 18 points. You can assign them back in to 103RHG if you do want them to not have a battle penalty.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Would have thought it would be 6 and 9 APs rather than 6 and 18 but have not checked.

I thought all leader checks except combat (Infantry/Armour/Air) got passed up the line and so Admin and Initiative are important as well as Morale ?
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

My understanding is they do get passed up the line unless they changed it in one of the patches. So having multiple levels of good leaders helps. Its why the soviets have much worse leadership as they go army/front/stavka....while germans get corps/army/AG/OKH. So Germans get in general better leaders and an extra level of leadership checks before complete failure.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Would have thought it would be 6 and 9 APs rather than 6 and 18 but have not checked.
Once split apart there are eighteen regiments (from six divisions) and each one is a minimum 1 point to reassign ....?
I thought all leader checks except combat (Infantry/Armour/Air) got passed up the line and so Admin and Initiative are important as well as Morale ?

This has been debated a lot and I should say my view is not shared by others. But the crucial difference is the range modifier - none for morale, while there is for admin and initiative (I thought infantry and armour worked the same way too? I know now though that air does not). If a unit has a corps and army in its chain of command then the army group HQ has to be within two hexes to have no distance penalty, five hexes to have one penalty, eight hexes to have two penalties etc.

The challenge I always give to anyone is to take any old game save they have, open it, and count how many units are within two hexes of an army group HQ - something you could try now. Usually it is not many. If you keep army group HQs on rails and dedicated to rail repair in 1941 maybe even none. Once you get multiple distance penalties the chances of passing an admin or initiative check at that level goes to zero (very nearly).

So the only really effective rating, given where players often locate army groups HQs and OKH, is morale. And you can make a virtue of it by putting into them any leader with high morale and bad everything else.... such as Jodl.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

I would disagree- telemecus---the absolute best spearhead is to concentrate- the entire chain of command within 5 hexes if possible- you get maximum support to all units the sector and absolute best chances for all dice rolls.

The soviets can start doing this very early on with stavka and front command in key areas. As well this allows you to stack for HQ rolls for support unit allocations to both dig in now that it was fixed and to support battles as support untis can be sent from Army/Front/stavka if they are all within 5 hexes. You can only do this to one section of the front but allows for maximum effort, if you want...and is realistic. Like leningrad being under threat in 41 and zhukov being sent from stavka with all available support, more or less represents those things very well.

The germans have really good generals so alot of the time their corps generals will make most if not all the rolls. So not as crucial for them, but it allows a forward thinking soviet player to mass a critical effort of command.

This one thing the modders still working on the game didnt seem to understand when the support units got shut off for digging in---still think this was done on purpose not on accident.
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
Once split apart there are eighteen regiments (from six divisions) and each one is a minimum 1 point to reassign ....?

This has been debated a lot and I should say my view is not shared by others. But the crucial difference is the range modifier - none for morale, while there is for admin and initiative (I thought infantry and armour worked the same way too? I know now though that air does not). If a unit has a corps and army in its chain of command then the army group HQ has to be within two hexes to have no distance penalty, five hexes to have one penalty, eight hexes to have two penalties etc.

The challenge I always give to anyone is to take any old game save they have, open it, and count how many units are within two hexes of an army group HQ - something you could try now. Usually it is not many. If you keep army group HQs on rails and dedicated to rail repair in 1941 maybe even none. Once you get multiple distance penalties the chances of passing an admin or initiative check at that level goes to zero (very nearly).

So the only really effective rating, given where players often locate army groups HQs and OKH, is morale. And you can make a virtue of it by putting into them any leader with high morale and bad everything else.... such as Jodl.

It doesn’t work like that. First HQ makes a check against RND(10). After that the chances are halved for each HQ step, and distance divided by the range factor increases the difficulty.

Lets say an army fails it’s RND(10) check. The AG HQ, at 21 hex distance and divisor of 3 now makes a check RND(20+21/3)=RND(27).

In the above example, with admin rating of 9 in both Army and AG HQ, chances to pass the check would have been 90% at the army and 33% at the AG if the Army check failed. If the AG wouldn’t have had distance penalty (2 hexes from the unit), the chance would’ve been 45%.

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: chaos45
I would disagree- telemecus---the absolute best spearhead is to concentrate- the entire chain of command within 5 hexes if possible- you get maximum support to all units the sector and absolute best chances for all dice rolls.

If you do that then you would be correct - if do put your higher commands within a short distance of a large number of units the maths is entirely different. Few however do. It is a choice you can make, understanding the costs and benefits. But if you are a player that leaves higher HQs to the rear, and I think most should look at what they do do in their games rather than what they think they would want to do, then I think the original point still holds.

The other side you have to remember is the transport cost of moving higher commands around. If you have a large number of SUs in higher commands then their transport cost can regularly reach 50,000-100,000 or more. That is the equivalent of moving an entire army or more. So the cost of the localised effective higher command ratings is a lot of lorries used, and lost in use. The Soviets have the option of using rail instead, Axis usually do not at the beginning - but then the Soviet side does have a question of do they want to use their rail cap for that.

For the Axis deploying army group and OKH HQs near the front at the beginning could, sometimes, mean their construction SUs are not in range of where you want them to be to repair rail.

(If you do not have a large number of SUs parked in higher commands then you are paying the same transport and supply costs dragging them around in lower HQs - and you would have to ask yourself are you really using all of them each and every turn. But that is a different question.)
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

This one thing the modders still working on the game didnt seem to understand when the support units got shut off for digging in---still think this was done on purpose not on accident.
From my conversation with morvael regarding the construction unit and max fort level bugs I can confirm that the bugs were not there deliberately. Why should the devs do this chaos45?
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

I wish to thank Tyronec for the opportunity to post the Soviet view point on his AAR.

As an avid reader of all the AARs on this forum I have learned a great deal.

Game turn one for the Soviet is difficult to say the least, and there isn't much a Soviet player can do to prevent
the loss of most of his frontier forces against an experienced German player. All a Soviet player can hope to
do is to try to slow down the Axis juggernaut a bit. I feel the key to play as the Soviet player is to think
long-term and not to let the short term tactical disasters demoralize you. Even if the Soviet players loses
Leningrad and Moscow in 1941 (which I will do my best not to let happen) I feel the Soviet player can
still capture Berlin by the summer of 1945 and win the game.

Proposed Soviet strategy

1) Delaying the Axis forces enough turns to allow the proper building of defenses around Leningrad, Moscow, Stalino
Voronezh and Rostov. It will be interesting to see the impact of the new Beta we are using. Also with
fortifications only costing 4 after June (instead of 8) - I will be building lots of those and attaching
sappers or construction units to speed up the building up of fortifications.

2) Can't overstate the importance of Recon, which I will be using to determine where the Axis major offensives
are. Will be using a mixture of solid defenses (2 to 3 units in a hex) and checkerboard (deep defenses
only one unit per hex), depending on the situation

3) Avoid as much as possible having units encircled - nothing worse for the Soviet player than losing 10 to 20
units at a time.

4) At all times try to block the panzer spearheads from receiving fuel by isolating them. Will try to have
some cavalry units on the flanks of any major German panzer spearhead to try to cut their supply.

All advice would be welcome.
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

Soviet Game Turn 1

Large Lvov pocket which could not be opened. Disbanded all the fortifications that were not essential to the
Soviet defensive line of GT 2. Railed out all the Soviet units next to the Romanian border west of Odessa to
prevent their being encircled on Axis GT 2.

Was able to isolate 5 to 6 panzer/motorized divisions just West of Minsk, opening a small pocket.
No extra gasoline for these units next turn.

Attachments
GT1Tyr.jpg
GT1Tyr.jpg (515.63 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

One remark, as you manage to isolate the 2 panzer corps in front of minsk, you could have kept your fortified line of defense here instead of retreating to the berezina.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

One remark, as you manage to isolate the 2 panzer corps in front of minsk, you could have kept your fortified line of defense here instead of retreating to the berezina.

I wouldn't say that's a sound advice, even isolated panzers will have close to 100% fuel on turn 2.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Nix77

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I wouldn't say that's a sound advice, even isolated panzers will have close to 100% fuel on turn 2.

Concur with Nix77 here, that would have been "suicidal".
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

concur lol
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Let me try to help the axis by unwillingly giving bad advice please !!! [:'(]

Now i'am wondering which % of fuel they have. I will do some test.
Brakes are for cowards !!
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

i agree here. for the first 2 turns run as fast as you can forrest. make your stand against the panzerkorps at turn 3 whern their tanks are dry.
tyronec

T2

Post by tyronec »

They had ample fuel and 40-48MPs, I concur that a forward stand at this stage would have been costly.

T2.
The bad news is he has cut off my two Pz. Corps from AGC around Minsk, and in the process broken half of the AGC main pocket - need to be more careful with my flank cover. Otherwise a general retreat across the front, I note Stavka is down to 3.3m instead of the usual 3.8m at this stage - perhaps something to do with the patch. Any thoughts on this, has anyone had a game where STAVKA is as low as 3.3m for T2 even after getting rid of corps ?.

AGN. I mop up most of the pockets and advance towards Pskov. The river line is not strongly defended so one attack gets a Pz. Division across; he doesn't seem to have a lot of troops in the area so am hoping it can hold out on it's own. If he does muster a strong counter attack then they may be vulnerable in their turn. It is always tempting to charge across the river with more panzers but I think they just end up too extended to do anything next turn.

AGC. Cutting of the two Pz corps is a pain, not that it effects them so much but because it delays the clean up of the surrounded units. The priority is to flip terrain this turn so I leave two mot. divisions to screen the pocket and continue the advance with the rest. Minsk is too much hassle to surround so the garrison gets driven out and routed. I do no attacks on the broken pocket.
Have made some progress north of the Dvina so can threaten Vitebsk from both that directions or via the landbridge. The two in supply soviet infantry divisions attacked seemed to have higher defence values than I'm used to so perhaps the entrenchment modification is coming into play.

AGS. Pocket clearing going better than usual, had more infantry set up to attack the three small pockets south of B-L than usual so will have them cleared next turn. Steady plod through the L'Vov pocket.
PG2 advances towards Kiev, have pinned one armour division and he could leave himself vulnerable to being pocketed West of the river if he doesn't retreat quickly enough. PG1 flips lots of terrain and rails all remaining divisions down to Romania.

Air war. STAVKA had done a little bombing and has over 7k airframes deployed. Rest week for the Luftwaffe, lots of shuffling around ready for action next turn.

Admin. All available APs go on downgrading airplanes and reorganising corps.

Attachments
T2Start.jpg
T2Start.jpg (4.7 MiB) Viewed 1189 times
tyronec

RE: T2

Post by tyronec »

End of turn:

Attachments
T2Enda.jpg
T2Enda.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 1189 times
DesertedFox

RE: T2

Post by DesertedFox »

What I like about Steltek's incorrect advice, was his error was highlighted in a polite manner (twice) and he responded to it wondefully. It's great to see people NOT discouraged in making comments.

Return to “After Action Reports”