F35

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

goodwoodrw

F35

Post by goodwoodrw »

Read today that Trump made an announcement that the US will conduct a joint Naval exercise with Sth Korea. For the first time in more than 10 years a force of three carriers will be included in the exercise.
Trump also said the air groups will include the US's best aircraft including F35, is this true, has the US got operational sqns of them yet?
Formerly Goodwood

kevinkins

RE: F35

Post by kevinkins »

Hi there ... I am sure you have read reports like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... GAMES.html

As far as the F35, probably 2-4 per carrier at most at this point, but let's see as the war games evolve. I believe there are something less than a full squadron in Okinawa. The US has operation squadrons - 1/Marines and 1/USAF - by they have deployed the A/C forward more or less individually I think. For example, 2 went off to Norway recently.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

There's two squadrons of operational F-35 in Japan right now. VFMA-121 at MCAS Iwakuni and elements of the 388th FW (probably 34th FS) at Kadena AFB. When they declared IOC they meant it.

The ones that have been doing detachments to USAFE have been from the 388th FW at Hill AFB, IIRC.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Three carriers... that is a LOT of firepower.
I still wish we had some long legged, long shooters though, like the F-14 or some replacement thereof.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Bert Blitzkrieg

Post by Bert Blitzkrieg »

Recently saw an interview with a F35 pilot on Toutube (so it may be an older interview) in which the pilot stated that the F35 had a much, much longer range then the F18.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: Bert Blitzkrieg

Recently saw an interview with a F35 pilot on Toutube (so it may be an older interview) in which the pilot stated that the F35 had a much, much longer range then the F18.

The main issue I'm seeing with range and the F-35 is that since it has virtually no drag when carrying just internal weapons its' range is significantly improved over strike a/c with comparable loads. This effect would fade when external stores are added.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Hi there ... I am sure you have read reports like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... GAMES.html

As far as the F35, probably 2-4 per carrier at most at this point, but let's see as the war games evolve. I believe there are something less than a full squadron in Okinawa. The US has operation squadrons - 1/Marines and 1/USAF - by they have deployed the A/C forward more or less individually I think. For example, 2 went off to Norway recently.

Kevin
There are no F-35s deployed to any Carriers right now. Mr. Trump probably meant the Japan based A and B squadrons from the USAF and USMC.
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

Correct, only the Marines and Air Force have operational units.
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

ORIGINAL: Tailhook

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Kevin
There are no F-35s deployed to any Carriers right now. Mr. Trump probably meant the Japan based A and B squadrons from the USAF and USMC.

I don’t believe that is correct. Yes, there are no F-35 on board large supercarriers but i believe the USMC has squadrons of F-35s deployed aboard their amphibious assault carriers. They are smaller but they are still carriers. I think it’s the “America Class”???
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I wouldn't say squadrons...The Wasp has a complement of 10 F-35s on board still ramping up. I don't think any more are deployed on amphibs. I am not even sure how many LHDs and LHAs are currently being modified to use the F-35. I think the new Tripoli is the only besides the Wasp that can support the plane.
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

True. But nevertheless, the wasp is a Carrier so he was not incorrect to suggest that F-35s were aboard carriers. The USMC isn’t wasting time putting them to use . I think the AV-8Bs have about had it
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

My point, again, is its not plural. Its one LHD and one squadron. It will be a while before its plural based on upgrade plans for other LHDs and LHAs.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

We are seeing a lot of training and demonstration flights off on some amphibious carriers and super carriers. There is a lot going on at sea for the F35 at the moment. But to mikeCK's point, the Marines appear to be coming up to speed faster than the Navy. ExNusquam got it right re: ground based F35s. Most of this is on the internet, but not in one place like this thread - very helpful.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

I meant of the 3 carriers currently exercising together in the Western Pacific, none have F-35s onboard in like the possible interpretation of the Presidents speech. VFA-101, a training squadron, recently completed Carrier Qualifications in the Western Atlantic but the Navy's F-35C has not reached IOC. The first Navy F-35 deployment is planned for 2020.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Just a capstone for this part of the F-35 discussion...

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2018/0 ... f-35b.html

Note the next scheduled F-35B deployment aboard ship is the USS Essex in the mideast.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”