Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

BeirutDude

Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple?

Post by BeirutDude »

I’m going to throw out A hypothesis that I have been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. That is is there a dichotomy of games where they are either too simplistic or way too complicated. And that we are moving to an area where boardgames went where intermediate level games were lost.

So the first part of my premise too complicated. I recently got into Command and frankly I almost have to dedicate all of my time to the game to figuring out the interface and all of the different aspects associated with it. I recently downloaded the upgrade to War in the East and when I pulled it up just try to play it for a little bit I realized I had forgotten simple things like the artillery rules let alone the Logistics and gave up! So I got the hard copy of war in the west manual and that is essentially a college textbook on Logistics. So of the Myriad of games that I have on my computer right now I’m just dedicating all of my time to command but I’m so hopelessly behind most of the other people on the board I don’t think I will ever catch up in the learning curve. Now the thing about this is why should I spend money on other games when I’ve got this one game I can spend a year trying to learn to nuances of and never understand and even if I do then I could just move onto War in the East/West and get my Masters in Logistics.

Then the other side of the coin I have panzer general on my computer and it’s just too simplistic I just can’t get into that game. I downloaded the demo of order of battle and to me it’s just another version of panzer general. I mean beer and pretzels is fun but you really don’t get the wealth of a simulation out of it.

I’m hoping TAOW IV will be that Intermediate complexity game that doesn’t bog you down in details but isn’t simplistic either (BTW I was a scenario designer for earlier versions of the game) but again not sure about shelling out the money for another computer icon.

So my question is are current trends bad for the computer war game game industry? Shrapnel and JTS haven’t come out with anything recently and it seems to be bogging down like board wargames had in the 90s. Can designers make it in this environment? Can’t the A/I. Better handle Logistics. Which, BTW is why I never bought the new version of WitP As I really don’t want to take on the training of an entire carrier wing while managing the entire war in the Pacific.

So I’m really hoping to start a thoughtful discussion here not a let’s slam The poster bash session but in any case, “you may fire when ready, Gridley!”
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Lobster

RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple?

Post by Lobster »

Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? Yes. Some are too far one way and some are too far the other way.

One of the things I like about TOAW is the controls that allow you to make the game as difficult or as easy as you like. You can include some of the new rules for supplies, bridges, where the front line is visible. C&C, turn order, flanking, supply effect, disengagement, FOW, mud and snow, air assistant and other things. You can have very complex combat results reports or none at all. You can make it as easy or complex as you like.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
JReb

Post by JReb »

I think that more simulation = more complicated game. Just the nature of the beast.

Its really up to the individual preference as to what they prefer and also what appeals to customers. The irony is that Matrix has sold a ton of WitP games (complicated) and also a large number of Panzer Corps copies too (simple). Two widely different games regards to complexity but both big sellers.

Without sales data it is hard to analyze the 'cost to make' vs. 'total profit' aspect regarding simple and complex games and determine if any are hurting the industry.

For me personally, I would like to see new designers / programmers and fresh ideas / approaches. That is whats missing in the wargame industry today.

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

I prefer WITE approach, it has complex guts but play simple, if you have basic knowledge of wargaming and military operation of ww2, you can jump easily without getting hassled with interface learning or mechanism understanding, I can add Command Ops 2 also.
My second preference is abstracted game that made from top to bottom design approach, such as Strategic Command 3, simple yet you have realistic result, FOG2 also come to mind.
For me good design is not about how much you control, but what you suppose control and what you are playing as, if you are general you should not micro logistics or air warfare much, but you should have an option to influence it, deep simulation playing in the background of those aspects is appreciated but it shouldn't break the overall game or became a tool of gamey way to win.
HOI 3 is bad example of how things are complex, too much micro, too much time to spend to learn interface and the result of strategic enjoyment are not rewarding much.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Depends. Battle Academy, it is basically Chess.

Ah dang, you just took out my queen!

For those that think Battle Academy is simple, "oh really, what is your win-loss record?"

I like Gary's big immense War in the East/West product, and yeah, I printed out the manual in nice colour. But it is sure a mouthful.

I want something like AHs The Longest Day. Big board, 10k counters, and brain-dead simple rules design. It's not about mastering the design, it's just about shoving around 1000 counters or so every turn.

I recall board games went to computer aided creations, and poof, they seemed to over extend themselves.
I've yet to find much in the way of board games able to equal the simplicity of Bliztkrieg or Panzer Leader or the FIRST box of Squad Leader.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
operating

Post by operating »

Personally, I consider myself a intermediate game player, although I feel as though I could handle the more complex games as mentioned, however am not keen to all the logistics to complete a turn. My greatest concern with complex games as a player is forgetting some minutia (especially in MP) that could throw the whole game off, I guess some would say that is what gaming is all about, make mistakes you lose, or in SP could mean going back to a save to play the turn over correctly. The same can happen in intermediate, although it is less involved and less likely of a minutia mistake. There's nothing like hitting an end of turn button only to realize in a micro-second that you missed something of importance. As far as beer and pretzels go, I do not mind those games either, providing it's a good game and enjoyable, to each their own. Certainly in SP a good AI makes the game, it does not have to be perfect all it has to be is good, the price of the game could be a good indicator (work to product), plus unbiased game reviews. SCWWII seems to be what I have a flavor for, although I have not bought the game yet, but what impresses me the most: Is the devs who care about their product, Fury is a good example of that..
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Great discussion!

One point I don't think we can accept sales to acceptance. I own all of of the Panzer Corps series, why they were on sale and I bought them at like 40 or 50% off and i MIGHT play them one day (never do).

Seems like WitE/W do have some simplified logistics, but I feel the need to designate things for my spearheads and then it gets complicated beyond belief. When I'm deciding if the Panzer Lehr gets 25 tons of Fuel and Gross Deutchland gets 24 tons, I'm thinking that is just too far in the weeds. Now I'm sure there are a lot of people who enjoy that level, but I don't know. That is where I liked the Tiller PzC and Modern Campaigns.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Depends. Battle Academy, it is basically Chess.

Ah dang, you just took out my queen!

For those that think Battle Academy is simple, "oh really, what is your win-loss record?"

I like Gary's big immense War in the East/West product, and yeah, I printed out the manual in nice colour. But it is sure a mouthful.

I want something like AHs The Longest Day. Big board, 10k counters, and brain-dead simple rules design. It's not about mastering the design, it's just about shoving around 1000 counters or so every turn.

I recall board games went to computer aided creations, and poof, they seemed to over extend themselves.
I've yet to find much in the way of board games able to equal the simplicity of Bliztkrieg or Panzer Leader or the FIRST box of Squad Leader.

Mrs. Wargamer, you always mentions BA, and because of you I start to play it again and got hooked, it is my favorite WW2 tactical game now, I stopped playing Combat Mission and Graviteam games, really the desing is simple but yet is very rewarding once you win a scenario it gives satisfaction that no other tactical game gives, I dont know what is the secret behind it.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Yep. it seems like grogs are allergic to simple and elegant some days. BA Battle Academy, it doesn't take all afternoon to play a turn. Its possible to go online and play out a whole game in a sitting. And never once is your victory going to be just a walk in the park.

I don't know that it has a lack of gamey, but then, I don't think I have ever played a war game that is missing 'gamey'. I've even beaten excellent Chess players simply by making random idiotic moves in a game all so the poor bugger over thinks what I'm doing. Nope, I was just moving pieces illogically. And then suddenly I make a real move and oops sorry about that.

Some days calling a game 'beer and pretzels' is really just a pointless slur. It's like calling a game 'milkshake and cookies' (I like milkshakes and cookies). You do realize, you can drink beer and eat pretzels while playing either ASL or War in the East right?

There's a word in the English language most use incorrectly. Sophisticated. The actual meaning of sophisticated is closer to 'pointless excess'. And perhaps that is the best way to describe some of our war games out there that we worship so as NOT being beer and pretzels (even though you can enjoy beer and pretzels and play that game).
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Great Mrs Wargamer, very SOPHISTICATED...[:D]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Of the recent games, Sengoku Jidai seems to strike good balance between simple game play and crunchy details. Game pieces under player's control are of battalion size, and movement & combat is as stupid easy as in Battle Academy. BUT while in Battle Academy all infantry pieces are exactly 5 men (without casualties) strong, in Sengoku Jidai is great deal of variety from about 100 to over 600. In addition of man strength and unit type (and weapons), units also have following variables: quality (skill/experience), armour, general & his capabilities, and unit cohesion/morale. I may forget something here.

Some other excellent intermediary tactical scale games are games of the Steel Panthers series. SPWAW Enhanced is modded version of the basic game in one handy install package and it is being improved. Other Steel Panthers games to look up for are WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT, which still get official updates. And all 3 games are available for free!

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

One point I don't think we can accept sales to acceptance. I own all of of the Panzer Corps series, why they were on sale and I bought them at like 40 or 50% off and i MIGHT play them one day (never do).
Wait wait wait WHAT! You complain about over simplicity of Panzer General and you went and bought Panzer Corps!? Didn't you know Panzer Corps is accurate remake of Panzer General? What did you expect to get?

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

Mrs. Wargamer, you always mentions BA, and because of you I start to play it again and got hooked, it is my favorite WW2 tactical game now, I stopped playing Combat Mission and Graviteam games, really the desing is simple but yet is very rewarding once you win a scenario it gives satisfaction that no other tactical game gives, I dont know what is the secret behind it.
You should also try SPWAW or WinSPWW2.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I take this thread to greet the elders of Lebanon in general and the drakkar in particular. A wargame on the period would be welcome.[&o]
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

it feel likes games are being pushed towards the extremes:
- gamers who like lots of detail don't complain when that detail gets out of hand or serves no real purpose, because they like lots of detail
- gamers who like simplicity don't complain when features are cut out
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Quote Matti "You should also try SPWAW or WinSPWW2"

Actually, I've been with Steel Panthers since it was created, been with Matrix Games since 2000 and have been playing the SP Camo versions for almost as long. My favourite is SP3 Brigade Combat. Always thought it felt like Panzer Leader.

I worked on Steel Panthers Screaming Eagles.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I recall fondly my days playing AH boardgames like Afrika Korps, The Russian Campaign, and others. Over and over. To completion, to the bitter end where one side won and the other lost.

The rules were not too complex, the CRTs were not too complicated - it was basic and (most importantly) playable. It would be great to have some of those classics remade as computer wargames with basic features and challenging AI. But we keep seeing new games with much more complexity and more bells & whistles, along with bugs and AI problems.

Keep It Simple, Stupid. KISS. Maybe someday somebody will screw up and make one of these games, and it will be great! [&o]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

+1 for faithful computer reproductions of the Avalon Hill Board Games.

I think too that too many people today are more impressed by graphic quality, sound effects, pretty maps, bells, whistles etc. that they forget the most important thing is the quality of the game itself and how well it plays.

Nothing wrong with a complicated game for some if it is a good game. There is also nothing wrong with a simple game if it is a good game. There was no way to send constant patches and upgrades for those old board games. If it wasn't good out of the box it was no good. Rushing a game out with all those bugs we are use to would be a disaster.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

It's not a question of games but a question of gamers and the market place. Some like complex games and others like simple beer-and pretzel games and some like both. Publishers must look at developers' concepts and decide the audience for the game and hope one niche or the other is large enough for decent sales. I believe that any middle point wouldn't attract enough buyers for a sustainable amount of time after the first blush of a middle of the road game.
Jim Cobb
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Might make a good story in The Wargamer, with some credit to the OP. I would argue that FoG2 is middle of the road and seems a pretty big hit. The upcoming Desert War game might be middle difficulty, too.

At least some monster games like WitE can be played by the average buyer, but not well of course. Empire at Arms is the one game that comes to mind that I would consider "unplayable" without experience. But that's more due to its ancient UI than its complexity.
operating

Post by operating »

From what I recall about AH board games, which made them simpler than today's pc games was there was no economic and political issues for the most part, the games were dedicated to strategic and tactical situations on the same map. I sold all my AH games to someone who was pleased as hell to get them, now I wished I kept them just to add depth to this conversation today. Another thing about AH games was there was no computations concerning a nation's treasury ie... card OOBs were used for reinforcements, no purchasing of units, no upkeep costs. Gee, wouldn't that make pc game development a lot easier and less costly?? Of course it could be an add-on feature to an updated game, but not essential... Research time for game development would be nil for the game is already in existence, just give it an interface...!!! Copy rules and update to pc in print or PDF, a no brainer...

One problem: Copyrights

Hmmm! Don't copyrights last 50 years then it's open season...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”