New Game?

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Orm

RE: New Game?

Post by Orm »

Thank you, mercenaries, for the update. [:)]

The game looks better and better. And since it looked awesome from the beginning... [&o] [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Selus

Post by Selus »

any uddates plz? [:D]
Zeotix

Post by Zeotix »

ORIGINAL: Selus

any uddates plz? [:D]
nothing new :-(
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I have been working on the report dialogs. I have (mostly) finished the reports for armies, fleets, cities, fortresses, and provinces.

Here is a sample of the report dialog for a fortress. Each icon can be selected to get details of that attribute or the "control" icon will give general details:

Attachments
ReportSampleI.jpg
ReportSampleI.jpg (159.37 KiB) Viewed 216 times
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Here is the same dialog with one of the attributes selected:

Attachments
ReportSampleII.jpg
ReportSampleII.jpg (163.67 KiB) Viewed 216 times
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I'll post more screenshots and some notes on the game's progress on Friday.

But, I'll anticipate some questions and give a little unhappy news. I have been dealing with a very serious illness in my family and I have to admit that the Fall of Rome will not be ready until some time next year. [:(]

I realize that this REALLY stinks and I am quite embarrassed at how long the game is taking. But that is the state of things right now.

Thanks for your interest!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
rico21

Post by rico21 »

[&o][&o][&o]

1- Editor available?[;)]

2- Asterix and Obelix at the least?[:D]
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

ORIGINAL: rico21

[&o][&o][&o]

1- Editor available?[;)]

2- Asterix and Obelix at the least?[:D]

I'd like to at least make some kind of scenario editor for custom scenarios. I don't know about Asterix and Obelix themselves: the Gauls are gone by the time the game begins. But the scenario editor could certainly include some mechanism for editing the name pools used for the various nationalities.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Here is a screenshot with the revised experience markers and the legion designations for 'Marian' legions.

I am not going to include unit designations for all the units after the reforms of Diocletian and Constantine. But I am going to feature the "classic" legions which existed before then. They have an administrative and economic role in the game. The core of the legion will also contain the legion's skilled workers and thus qualifies as an armaments factory. So the marker is necessary to show that the core of the legion is present in an army or a garrison - rather than a detachment of some of the legion's cohorts.

Attachments
LegionaryEagles.jpg
LegionaryEagles.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 218 times
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
pons

Post by pons »

Sorry to hear about your family illness Mercenarius. Health and family are the two most important things.
But high up in the lesser tier are games - even the gods play games (though not dice, apparently).
I have to say that your Second Punic War game is, by a country mile, the best historically-based computer game I've ever played - and I've tried a lot.
So it's great to know that you are still on the case with your second game, and striving for that combination of playability and accurate historical feel that seems to make HRCSPW so unique and replayable.
Fall of Rome looks very ambitious and wide-ranging from the bits you've shown - so just remember nulla tenaci invia est via (for the tenacious, no road is impassable - I hope)
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am sorry to hear about the illness in the family. And take your time with the game. Family comes first.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for the update. The game looks awesome. [&o]
patri91

Post by patri91 »

Yes. I love this game! Really looks awsome.
Nothing happened, Earth is still spinning.
Drakkon

Post by Drakkon »

Wow, I started this topic in 2012 and it's still going! The new game keeps looking better. And the old game is still a favorite....

Drakkon

Post by Drakkon »

Just a reminder that HRC is on sale now. for a paltry CAD $13.99. Buy it!
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: mikerolf1

Wow, I started this topic in 2012 and it's still going! The new game keeps looking better. And the old game is still a favorite....

How many games have you played now?
Orm

Post by Orm »

Any prognosis for the new year?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Cold and dark, turning to widely scattered light in the spring.[8D]
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I forgot to say thanks for this. Thanks!

Well, I have set a firm goal in my mind that the game must be published no later than the end of 2018. I'd like to say summer or fall, but I just don't know if I can make that happen. I don't think that I can.

I agree that more than 5 years ought to be enough for any game.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Orm

Post by Orm »

Sounds like Christmas 2018 might be saved. [:)]

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”