Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

RE: January 1945

Post by John 3rd »

SoPac
January 26, 1945

Vc-Adm Yamaguchi puts into port at Lunga and sees a large amount of supplies waiting for his ships and crews. The CVs take on over three dozen replacement aircraft and see the large airdrome crammed full with nearly 280 planes. Better yet, Tulagi sits across the sound with 45,000 fuel waiting to be loaded tomorrow. Big hybrid Ise and 3 DDs provide surface protection.

Word reaches the fiery Adm that his reinforcements are passing SW of Truk and will be ready to unite with him in two days. At that point, he will field a large TF of 4 CV, 5 CVL, 2 CA, 3 CL, and 10 DDs. Ise will be available if needed. The combined force will carry 282 SAMS, 117 DB, and 114 TB = 513 Total Planes.

Beyond the 45,000 Fuel at Tulagi, an AO TF sits near Ontong Java Atoll holding over 52,000 in its bunkers. A further Tanker TF has passed Babeldoap and 60,000 Fuel has been detached to move towards Truk. Operations will be supplied for an extended period.

THIS CV and Surface FORCE will sortie south and deal with the Allied TFs near Suva.

BANZAI!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

January 30, 1945

Just got done running my morning turn and had some Nell success sinking a few minor ships so I decided to take a look at the sunk screen for the day and found SURPRISE! If BB Valiant was sunk by my Kongo's then that means we sank BOTH BB West Virgina and BB Valiant. It turns into a 1-1 exchance: 2 BC for 2 BB. Not bad in 1944/1945.

Here is the shot:

Attachments
013045a.jpg
013045a.jpg (202.49 KiB) Viewed 41 times

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Ask CR....
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'm bettin on FOW.....

Sunk ships list is always misleading.
If it's still on the list six months from now then its a pretty sure bet.
Hans

John 3rd

February 1945

Post by John 3rd »

February 2, 1945

The enemy is landing in force at Gunzan, Korea. WHY? OK. No landing in Japan this Spring. Pretty much means this match is over by the end of the year.

For the entire war, the vaunted Manchurian Army has sat on its butt. Now 8,831 AV get their marching orders...

JohnDillworth

RE: February 1945

Post by JohnDillworth »

For the entire war, the vaunted Manchurian Army has sat on its butt. Now 8,831 AV get their marching orders...
Well at this point Russian activation is just another problem to be dealt with. :-)
What is the current composition of your Manchurian Army? I presume you picked out and transferred many of the choice bits years ago. Got any good artillery or armor up there? Whats the quality of the infantry divisions...as always, supply?
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

February 2, 1945

The enemy is landing in force at Gunzan, Korea. WHY? OK. No landing in Japan this Spring. Pretty much means this match is over by the end of the year.

Several things:
#1 Chopping off all flow of res/oil/fuel from the continent knowing that your supply is finite.

#2 Seeking to reduce AV enough to activate the Soviets, then he gets a numerous amount of 1944 armored units that simply will not be stopped (not even slowed perhaps) with anything Japan has on hand. Have never looked at the late war Soviet OOB but even if he has T34/76s from 1942, LA5s and mid-late war Yaks, it is a mighty arsenal.

All he has to do, according to your post is reduce AV by 832. A few shattered rgts, a damaged ID, and some attrition from air attacks and he has it.
Personally that would be my preference.

#3 Ownership of Korean Air bases will allow him to sweep almost the entirety of the Home Islands without using ext range. Like Britain was for the War in Europe. Unsinkable CV.
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I know all this, however, activating the Soviets won't be as easy. There is 3,000 AV at the edge of China on the west side of the border that are CHINESE. All I have to do is move them slightly east and my garrison is now 11,881 and it can climb from there. He is nowhere near the China-Manchurian line and so I am going to throw the ENTIRE weight of those troops against the Allied force and leave engineers to keep building up the Forts on my line vs. the Chinese.

Last turn saw orders to out to two TK Divisions and eight INF Div to move to Korea.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the note I sent Dan last night:

You’ve fully activated the Manchurian/Korean troops. Never thought in a million years they would actually get a chance to fight. This WILL be fun to watch. Part of me—in the AAR---talked about your China move. It would be telling at four points:

1. Form the coastal lodgment and use it to directly jump into Japan by Nov 1944. OR
2. Advance deeper into China and take all of Southern China to the Yangste. Japan by February 1945. OR
3. Advance and take all of China but stop short of crossing into Manchuria. Japan Landing by May 1945. OR
4. Stay and take the entire Mainland. No Japan Landing until late-Summer 1945.

I hoped for this so the Mainland could continue to develop new ‘toys’ and rebuild destroyed units. Looks like it is Option 4 so it should be interesting to see just how much TIME and Casualties this decision costs. You get AFs right next to the Homeland but the troops will be occupied for quite a while.

Should be fun to see how it plays out…
John

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

February 2, 1945

The enemy is landing in force at Gunzan, Korea. WHY?

What do you mean why?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I know all this, however, activating the Soviets won't be as easy. There is 3,000 AV at the edge of China on the west side of the border that are CHINESE.

You are sadly mistaken if you think anything you have can stop the Soviets and another 4,000 planes thrown into the mix.

However, I doubt the Soviets get activated early so you will probably never find out. Even if they are activated, they are out of position and will take time to get organized on the ground.

Most likely all that Manchuko Garrison is the worst of IJA has to offer. Only good behind huge forts and well supplied.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Does Korea make enough of it's own supplies to maintain a level of intense fighting. or will supplies have to be brought in from Japan?

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You are sadly mistaken if you think anything you have can stop the Soviets and another 4,000 planes thrown into the mix.

However, I doubt the Soviets get activated early so you will probably never find out. Even if they are activated, they are out of position and will take time to get organized on the ground.

Most likely all that Manchuko Garrison is the worst of IJA has to offer. Only good behind huge forts and well supplied.

So you're saying you know something about Soviet activations?": [:'(] [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][8D]
The Moose
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

So you're saying you know something about Soviet activations?": [:'(] [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][8D]
Oh that's mean. [:D]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I didn't mean WITH a Soviet activation. I meant that I can bring in 3,000 more AV to AVOID a Soviet activation. That makes better sense.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I didn't mean WITH a Soviet activation. I meant that I can bring in 3,000 more AV to AVOID a Soviet activation. That makes better sense.

Oh, I was talking to Lowpe. Giving him a ration of . . . stuff.
The Moose
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Bring it on you AFB! I can take anything you can dish out.[;)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Bring it on you AFB! I can take anything you can dish out.[;)]

You haven't got time, Fish-Head-san. You need to bone up on your Russian![;)]
The Moose
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

You identify more with Boris and Natashia...change your icon.[:D]
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

I have only been in this situation once as an AFB, but my understanding is the escalation of fighting in China puts a strain on supply requirements and the movement of supply insidiously moves from where it is not needed to where it is demanded. If your plan includes moving and fighting with thousands of AV then lots of supply had better have been stashed. I also suspect this move in Korea is to eventually cut any supply from propergating from Fusan. Without moving or fighting those garrison units use supply .. soon the supply level required to be increased dramatically to support operations.

I think the conventional wisdom is Korea has bases close to the home island but I also suspect CR has calculated how many VP’s he can harvest by strangling supply, and attacking units reduced both in firepower and AV. You might use a tool, or just survey the map to determine your supply situation given the rail lines from Korea are eventually cut.

Garrison requirements .. is that raw AV? Or Calculated AV? I think calculated AV algorithm is only combat? Thus starving The garrison units alone will not cause activation.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Return to “After Action Reports”