NOOBS LEARNING TOGETHER (SparkleyTits Axis vs Psych0 Soviets)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Psych0

RE: NOOBS LEARNING TOGETHER (SparkleyTits Axis vs Psych0 Soviets)

Post by Psych0 »

Destroyed units

Attachments
T12DaveDe..edunits.jpg
T12DaveDe..edunits.jpg (846.86 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

OOB cracking 5m soon

Attachments
T12DaveOOB.jpg
T12DaveOOB.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

I can't figure out when exactly fortification levels increase. Is it in the logistics phase but before or after your opponent's turn? I mean, how important is it to put a unit between your digging units and the opponent's units or is it better to put that unit on the stack of digging units?
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

I can't figure out when exactly fortification levels increase. Is it in the logistics phase but before or after your opponent's turn? I mean, how important is it to put a unit between your digging units and the opponent's units or is it better to put that unit on the stack of digging units?

I believe they dig before the axis turn as your logistics phase follows your action phase. Stacking your units increases the digging of course, and I find you dig faster with the enemy nearby though I can't find that in the manual.

You earlier wondered why you could not dig past fort 2 plus 10%. This is from the manual for fort level 3:

Must be adjacent to an enemy hex, be an urban or city hex, or be in or adjacent to a fort unit. Once the level 3 is reached, the condition does not have to continue to be met to keep the level 3 fort.
RKhan
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Being in contact with the enemy strongly decrease your fortification building speed, like /3 or /4 (only engineer/sappers are unaffected). (But allow you to built up to level 3 with a lot of time).
Brakes are for cowards !!
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Being in contact with the enemy strongly decrease your fortification building speed, like /3 or /4 (only engineer/sappers are unaffected). (But allow you to built up to level 3 with a lot of time).

Any ground elements in the unit that are not engineer or construction types have their construction value divided by five when adjacent to an enemy unit

I should have been more clear. It just feels like digging is faster when the enemy is a few hexes away, but that might just be because I pay closer attention!
RKhan
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: RKhan
I should have been more clear. It just feels like digging is faster when the enemy is a few hexes away, but that might just be because I pay closer attention!

That does exist in the manual, although I cannot guarantee it has not been changed in later versions or bugged. There is the prospect, for instance, of citizens coming out to help digging when the enemy is a certain number of hexes away. So, for example, Leningrad fortifications go up faster as the Axis get near - but hardly at all if they are still in Lithuania say. So there is a sweet spot between being in the next hex and many hexes away where there are different bonuses to fortification.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: Psych0

This part is actually written wrong in the manual. In the game sequence chapter, it would seem that Soviet digging happens just before Soviet turn, in the logistics phase. But actually it happens as RKhan said, in the very beginning of the German logistics phase, even before "Set Weather" phase that's supposed to be the first step according to the manual.

You can see a text "Units build forts" in turn phase log just after you hit "End turn".
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

Thanks guys. The manual indeed confused me. Good to hear it's actually before German turn. So not much point to put a unit in front of the digging units. Prolly better to add that unit to the stack digging one more turn before the opponents troop come into contact and your digging speed drops a lot.
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

8-10 HQ BUs?! How is your supply situation then? Every BU reduces supply for ALL units by a couple % I thought. So 8-10 would be like 20% reduction. That would be noticable. Is it?
HQ BUs do not reduce the supply of all units directly. Only indirectly if they cost so much trucks that you fall below 100% of the motor pool requirement.

But what about this statement in the manual then? "This guarantees that your assault troops attached to a corps HQ have maximum MPs, but the overall supply of your whole army is reduced by about 1-2% for about two months for every time you use it".
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

8-10 HQ BUs?! How is your supply situation then? Every BU reduces supply for ALL units by a couple % I thought. So 8-10 would be like 20% reduction. That would be noticable. Is it?
HQ BUs do not reduce the supply of all units directly. Only indirectly if they cost so much trucks that you fall below 100% of the motor pool requirement.
But what about this statement in the manual then? "This guarantees that your assault troops attached to a corps HQ have maximum MPs, but the overall supply of your whole army is reduced by about 1-2% for about two months for every time you use it".

From what I remember that was the estimate of the indirect effect. I think it was not only lost trucks though? But of course whether the effect is indirect or not, it is the result that matters.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

So it does happen?

I was wondering because in my game with Psych0 my supplies are very low seen as they are so close to supply the fuel for planes becomes apparent quite quickly but even my infantry and starting without full MP
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

So it does happen?

I was wondering because in my game with Psych0 my supplies are very low seen as they are so close to supply the fuel for planes becomes apparent quite quickly but even my infantry and starting without full MP

My understanding is it does happen, but the effect is general and not observable locally. Like attrition in another context. So over many turns, especially when you get to the turns when you need all those lorries that were damaged you can measure it. but it probably is not the cause of lack of supply in one place at one time.

usually infantry start losing MPs because of missing ratings checks - one place where changes in chain of command do make a difference.
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

Something else I'm wondering about is how to get morale up of my Ruskies. Not having enough units in 41 to take them off the frontline (or move them further than 10 hexes from the enemy), I've been putting them on refit if not adjacent to enemy units.

Doesn't seem to help morale much though. Any tips? Although the occasional unit does shoot to 50+ morale. Mystery to me.

Also, how to get morale go beyond national morale? Winning battles sure, but any other ways?
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Something else I'm wondering about is how to get morale up of my Ruskies. Not having enough units in 41 to take them off the frontline (or move them further than 10 hexes from the enemy), I've been putting them on refit if not adjacent to enemy units.

Doesn't seem to help morale much though. Any tips? Although the occasional unit does shoot to 50+ morale. Mystery to me.

Also, how to get morale go beyond national morale? Winning battles sure, but any other ways?

If you can't be more than 10 hexes off refit is of no real use to improve morale and keeps your troops from digging at full strength.

It generally takes a couple turns to get your new troops moved up. Refit during this period can add 4 points to morale.

Winning battles is the only way to get over national morale.

If you don't have enough troops to keep some in reserve to train, even if only a handful, it is generally a sign that you are in the hurt locker. (Sorry if you find yourself there...)

BTW watch exp as well as morale. I try hard to never put units under 40 morale and/or 30 exp near the front.

R

RKhan
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

And when will will see some more screen shots? [:)]
RKhan
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

The manual talks about a number of conditions for morale to have a chance to increase. And not all of them are requiring 10 hex distance from enemy units, that's why I was wondering.

Screenies coming up at my next turn.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: RKhan

I try hard to never put units under 40 morale and/or 30 exp near the front.

R

I do the opposite now. I put the ones with low morale and experience on the front line most of the time. I know I know I know they will take crazy casualties but I am saving my Divisions that are actually in good shape. I would rather take the crazy casualties and or lose the Moscow PM division than lose my really good divisions i.e. a 60 exp/morale one. So I let the Germans beat up on those units & yes I know it isn't the most efficient use of replacements but it is a trade off and I will take the trade off to save the experienced unit ;)

PLUS, not to mention that until Sept 1 ALL Soviet Division take crazy casualties so that is the other reason I do this so it really doesn't matter to be honest.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

The manual talks about a number of conditions for morale to have a chance to increase. And not all of them are requiring 10 hex distance from enemy units, that's why I was wondering.

The 10 hex rule was in a patch for the addition :) But in 41 as the Soviet you don't have the luxury of doing this most of the time.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

The 10 hex rule was in a patch for the addition :) But in 41 as the Soviet you don't have the luxury of doing this most of the time.

I'm sure Morvael, EwaldvonKleist, Telemecus, or Nix could point you in the right direction. These Gentlemen have very good grasp of the rules & patches and have been a very big help to many people in these forums :)

Return to “After Action Reports”