On the fence

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
Birdw

On the fence

Post by Birdw »

[:)][:)] I love games of the Napoleanic Wars. AH's War and Peace is my favorite game of all time. This game looks very promising but I've had bad luck with AGEOD titles in the past. Is this game worth purchasing? How close is the interface to their Civil War game? Thanks in advance.
Birdman

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns
vebyw

RE: On the fence

Post by vebyw »

I've been monitoring quality issues on this game. There are lots of complaints about saving games and apparently the official 1.03 update has not been issued by Matrix? I am prepared to overlook initial bugs (although this release seems to have more than the usual) but not an abandoned game situation. So still holding back, even though I have AJE, CW2, TEAW, ROP, RUS etc
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

I would like to know the status of the game for single player play in its current state. I have many AGEOD titles and enjoy them, and I love the era and the overall presentation of this game, but have been leery with the bugs and criticism the game has gotten since its release. Can current players weigh in on how single player campaign games work, in the game's current state? Playable, viable, borked?
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
JReb

Post by JReb »

skip this one. Single player is major fubar'd.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
Symple

Post by Symple »

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I would like to know the status of the game for single player play in its current state. I have many AGEOD titles and enjoy them, and I love the era and the overall presentation of this game, but have been leery with the bugs and criticism the game has gotten since its release. Can current players weigh in on how single player campaign games work, in the game's current state? Playable, viable, borked?

If you enjoy playing all factions, as I used to do with board games, and still do with computer games, this is a very decent game. Like birde, I really enjoyed AH's War and Peace. I find the same pleasure playing Wars of Napoleon. If you ever played a few of the diplomatic suggestion from the General and liked this enhancement to War and Peace, then giving Wars of Napoleon is worth a try.
The weakness of WON is lack of a robust AI for major powers. Because it is in essence a seven player game, you need to play each faction to get the robust diplomatic options available.

It is very similar to Civil War 2, if that is the game you reference.

In my reading of the criticism of the game, most come from players who only play against the AI. If that is your preferred mode of play, play Victory and Glory: Napoleon. That is a game with a very challenging AI. But if you wish something more complex, WON playing all factions solitaire is a nice look at the Napoleonic War.
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

Thanks, Symple. I do have Civil War II and many other AGEOD games. I used to play AH's War and Peace a lot, exactly as you described, and I was thinking of doing the same with WON. I understand now that playing against the AI is a no go, but I still might pick this game up and try it the old War and Peace way. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
Symple

Post by Symple »

If you like Civil War II as I do (it is my very favorite game for dozens of reasons) much of WON will be familiar. Nations gradually gain organizational ability. In WON the difference is that France is really great at forming Armies and Corps, while other nations are more limited until they achieve military reform. Of course there is no railroad, so posting supply depots and other pre-rail era conditions apply. What is really world class is the diplomatic interface. Napoleon's creation of friendly minor states like the Rhine Confederation and the Duchy of Poland are a part of this. There are sophisticated conditions for many events. The number of diplomatic events is truly astounding. What I really like is how allies can lend naval and land forces. So in the early game, France can work with or even control a Spanish fleet like at Trafalgar. And Prussian, Austrian and other minor German and Italian forces can join in the invasion of Russia under Napoleon's control. The diplomacy interface is a challenging sub-game routine.
Like CWII, there are card options for building and development as well as blockade options and partisan options.
As above, you need to either play pbem or all factions solitaire, but to me there is much delight in such play. In many ways, I prefer playing all factions solitary as then some crackpot cannot run off on a totally ahistorical fantasy (which all good wargame do allow), but which kind of annoy me as I really like historically informed play.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”