Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

BTAxis

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by BTAxis »

I noticed a small oversight in the readme document, the ctrl+enter hotkey for freighter cargo is missing from the list of hotkeys at the end of the document.

Also, a couple of pages back you talked about manually ordering a freighter to a construction ship via the freighter alt+ commands, but when I tried doing just that it caused an exception: https://pastebin.com/JBHAZXUm

On a happier note, I did a full reinstall of DWU and that seems to have fixed the exception issues I had with the ship design screen. I'm still getting the missing family error popups though, sadly.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

I noticed a small oversight in the readme document, the ctrl+enter hotkey for freighter cargo is missing from the list of hotkeys at the end of the document.

Also, a couple of pages back you talked about manually ordering a freighter to a construction ship via the freighter alt+ commands, but when I tried doing just that it caused an exception: https://pastebin.com/JBHAZXUm

On a happier note, I did a full reinstall of DWU and that seems to have fixed the exception issues I had with the ship design screen. I'm still getting the missing family error popups though, sadly.

HI. I've made some updates to the freighter to construction ship missions. Yeah, there was a bug which you found. I've fixed it. Among other things, the version 1.5 could transport luxury items to the constructor, which is worthless. The null exception could happen if the origin cargo was null. It should be fixed in the current version under development.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

Hi, amazing mod.

I just noticed a bug : You can build the Super Weapons right at the beginning of the game.
Usually, you can't move the science screen over them until you finished the whole weapon tree.

I am using Extended Universe (with your patch), not sure if that changes anything.

Hi,

I'm glad you like it. I didn't change the tech tree (other than adding bomber bays to the tech that unlocks fighters). I saw that you are right as regards super area weapons. The others still have prerequisites though. It must be that way in the Extended mod.
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
HI. I've made some updates to the freighter to construction ship missions. Yeah, there was a bug which you found. I've fixed it. Among other things, the version 1.5 could transport luxury items to the constructor, which is worthless. The null exception could happen if the origin cargo was null. It should be fixed in the current version under development.

Hm, I was trying to supply my construction ship from my homeworld though. Definitely not null cargo there.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

Hm, I was trying to supply my construction ship from my homeworld though. Definitely not null cargo there.

OK, a little more investigating and I found the real cause. I was removing luxury items by checking if each potential cargo was a luxury or not. I didn't realize that ship components were potential cargos (armor, engines, and other thigns your base builds in preparation for assembling a ship). Those are not defined as luxury or not so it threw a null exception. Definitely fixed now.
I should be able to put out an update this weekend. Until then you might want to avoid manual supply missions to constructors. At least the crash is recoverable and doesn't crash the game.
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

Just my feedback after some use of the mod. I love it really much, there's only one thing with the Gravity Wells.

It would be amazing that, instead of just On/Off, we could define a fixed maximum speed (like 200 or 250), or a speed multiplier. I have the feeling that slowing down ships is neat for many reasons, but slowing them to a stall is just killing the rhythm of the game (at least for me). At these speed, the gravity well will still bother all logistics and tactical responses without killing the flow of ships.

That could be an option in the Settings file, for exemple.
Right now, I will just disable Gravity Wells, which makes me sad. :)

Thanks again for your efforts.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

Just my feedback after some use of the mod. I love it really much, there's only one thing with the Gravity Wells.

It would be amazing that, instead of just On/Off, we could define a fixed maximum speed (like 200 or 250), or a speed multiplier. I have the feeling that slowing down ships is neat for many reasons, but slowing them to a stall is just killing the rhythm of the game (at least for me). At these speed, the gravity well will still bother all logistics and tactical responses without killing the flow of ships.

That could be an option in the Settings file, for exemple.
Right now, I will just disable Gravity Wells, which makes me sad. :)

Thanks again for your efforts.

Hi,

Setting a maximum speed would actually be quite difficult for a number of reasons I won't go into. I considered that at one time and rejected it as unfeasible.
If gravity wells are slowing your game down too much you can minimized their affects by doing the following:
1 Make sure the "Smaller ships jump sooner" setting is true.
2 Research larger ship sizes as soon as possible.
3 Make sure you build your ships to less than maximum size- especially your freighters.
4 If your starting world is the first planet in the system you might want to restart until you get a planet a little farther out toward the edge.
5 research faster engines. Sublight speed is very important now.

By the time I get to the mid-game I find that the gravity well is only occupying the inner third part of most systems for most of my ships. I barely even notice it. If all else fails you can turn it off as you have chosen to do.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.51 should be out later today or tomorrow. I packed a lot of changes into version 1.5 and a few bugs crept in so this version will most be bug fixes.

1 Fixed a bug in assigning a cargo mission to a construction ship.
2 Fixed a bug in repeatable missions.
3 Fixed a bug in ship selection dropdown "state ships". Ships were duplicated.
4 Fixed a bug preventing the AI from creating asteroid colonies.
5 new command !braveships will set all designs for your empire that have flee setting to 'when enemy sighted' to 'when attacked'. This is just a time saver from doing it manually for each design.
6 State freighters that are not automated will no longer be assigned missions by the AI.
7 Increased starting population for asteroid colonies from 1000 to 30000. This is because , due to rounding, a population of 1000 doesn't grow.
8 Added new atats for Bacon Stats Tracker: total ships killed, total ships lost, total resources mined.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

7 Increased starting population for asteroid colonies from 1000 to 30000. This is because , due to rounding, a population of 1000 doesn't grow.

great work as always Roger [&o]

just a question: can you tell me what the maximum population of a colony based on an asteroid is ?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.51 released.
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

Nice!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

just a question: can you tell me what the maximum population of a colony based on an asteroid is ?

It depends on the size and quality. Usually asteroids start with quality 0 but I noticed that ones added with the editor seem to have quality 1.0 which is hte highest. A default asteroid can hold in the high 10 thousands or maybe low 100,000s. A fully terraformed asteroid can hold hundreds of millions.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

It depends on the size and quality. Usually asteroids start with quality 0 but I noticed that ones added with the editor seem to have quality 1.0 which is hte highest. A default asteroid can hold in the high 10 thousands or maybe low 100,000s. A fully terraformed asteroid can hold hundreds of millions.
is it possible to terraform asteroids ?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

is it possible to terraform asteroids ?

Yes. Just build a terraforming facility like you would on any planet.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Terraforming: is it possible only in your Bacon mod or also in the vanilla game ?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Terraforming: is it possible only in your Bacon mod or also in the vanilla game ?

Terraforming in the regular game only increases the rate of repair of eco-damaged colonies (which is already blazingly fast). My mod allow you to improve the habitability rating up to a value you set in the facilities.txt file under the terraforming facility.
exin

Post by exin »

In my game version 1.45, I build the Terraforming Facilities on planets but I don't see the planet quality raising :(.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: exin

In my game version 1.45, I build the Terraforming Facilities on planets but I don't see the planet quality raising :(.
maybe it take some time more than what you expected for planet quality to raise
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Exin if you're using the BaconWorld theme then it should just work out of the box.

If you're using some other mod, an edit to its facilities.txt file is required to get it working as described here.

The base game doesn't include the terraforming changes.
exin

Post by exin »

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

Exin if you're using the BaconWorld theme then it should just work out of the box.

If you're using some other mod, an edit to its facilities.txt file is required to get it working as described.

The base game doesn't include the terraforming changes.

Using only BaconWorld, no other mods. My customization folder only has: BaconWorld, Distant Worlds Original and The Ancient Galaxy.

I've also let the game run for a while and saw no change in the Quality of my planets.

Should I edit the vanilla facilities.txt as well?

Return to “Design and Modding”