McArthur - leave him there and build TER or pull him out?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jjdenver

McArthur - leave him there and build TER or pull him out?

Post by jjdenver »

what to do? Thoughts?
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
paulderynck

RE: McArthur - leave him there and build TER or pull him out?

Post by paulderynck »

I leave him and build the TERR. JP has to worry about taking NEI and Singapore and praying the weather works in both North Monsoon and South Temperate. Why just hand JP the Philippines?

The US can afford the 5 BPs.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

what to do? Thoughts?
warspite1

Leave him and his giant ego in the Philippines.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Concur, build the TERR (allows you to have a Philippino notional that is not oos) and have them sit it out. Most games they die there, but it will cost Japan another season cycle to clear the perimeter. Totally worth it!
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

To me, nothing says "Rookie" like the USA pulling MacArthur from Manila.

"build the TERR (allows you to have a Philippino notional that is not oos)"

I have always thought the TERRitorial rules and the notional rules don't sync up that well. I haven't gotten around to figuring out the details in the future of the game, need to do that.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

"The notional unit is the same nationality as any major power or minor country with a real unit in the hex (owner’s choice if more than one). If there are no real units, it is the same nationality as the major power or minor country that controls the hex."

Means Macarthur by himself has a US notional that is (like himself) most likely oos.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Yes, that is how it works. But it is a little silly. Is the notional adjacent to the in-supply Territorial out-of-supply? The Territorial unit sends out patrols in adjacent areas but doesn't give them any ammunition? What if the Territorial is 2 hexes from Manila but the notional is adjacent to Manila?

Meanwhile, should the invading player get the Territorial bonus on their attack roll when they invade in a Territorial ZoC? The Regular Army handles all the flank patrols and the Territorials stay back at base?

Yes, these are rhetorical questions.
Orm

Post by Orm »

The notional in the same hex as MacArthur is US and could therefore be OOS. But the notionals in the surrounding ZOCed hexes are not. They are Philippine. Note the rule wording below. Bonus for ZOC is not the same as a real unit in the hex.

RAC: 11.14 Invasions
The notional unit is the same nationality as any major power or minor country with a real unit in the hex (owner’s
choice if more than one). If there are no real units, it is the same nationality as the major power or minor country that
controls the hex.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

I always leave MacArthur in the Philippines, and build the territorial very early.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Usually it is better to leave it in the Philippines.
Japan has lots to do and a very short time window to accomplish what they need before to turtle in.

I've even seen people reinforcing the Philippines as soon as Japan DoW even risking TRS for that (but they usually play without LoS optional) in order to keep til late '42 or so a major naval base in the South China Sea or bases for airplanes to fly around there.
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I like to build the Ter and leave it in Manilla, but then place Mac in the Mountain hex to the east of Manilla. It makes it that much harder to take him out. While the Ter is easy to kill the Japs still have to spend time killing it. And time is what this game is all about. Then having Mac sitting in the mountain the Japs have to dig him out too. Slows the japs down for a couple of impulses.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I might dig him out, but not if I ground struck him. Then he can be his own PoW camp for many turns...
Paul
ssiviour

Post by ssiviour »

I am of the school to take him out.

When getting close to war and after Option 26 I will ship him to sit in Pago Pago.

I understand the arguments for leaving him there, and if the game situation demands it am happy to do so.

But you are not going to stop a determined Jap player from taking the Philippines, or a smart one from isolating, bypassing and coming back later to mop up.

A white print garrison in Pago Pago will help check Japanese ambitions, at least for a little awhile, and he will be back in the war a lot quicker then a total rebuild.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I get him out before war starts too. I like to have him sitting in Pago Pago, prepared to come back. To me, it takes too long for him to return into the area after he has been destroyed in the Philippines. 4 turns is a lot...
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I am firmly of the opinion to get MacArthur out. I do build the TERR.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

What is he doing outside the Philippines?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

What is he doing outside the Philippines?
warspite1

What is he doing? He and his big fat ego are preparing his "I will survive" speech while learning to disco dance on roller skates.

Edit: Oh no sorry, that was Gloria Gaynor or Gladys Knight or someone - I mean it's his "I will return" speech.

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Being firmly of the opinion to get him out, that implies an expectation that he is more useful somewhere else. Was just interested what that might be (vacation in Samoa?).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Being firmly of the opinion to get him out, that implies an expectation that he is more useful somewhere else. Was just interested what that might be (vacation in Samoa?).
warspite1

Understood, I am of the same opinion as you (as per post 3) my comment (in post 17) was but a feeble attempt at humour.

davidc

Post by davidc »

I enjoyed your humour Warspite [:)][:)]

Maybe not everyone appreciates horribly bad 70's disco

Return to “The War Room”