Rugby League World Cup

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Neilster

Rugby League World Cup

Post by Neilster »

Whilst I grew up in Tasmania and hence played Australian Rules Football (Google it it if you don't know what it is), my Dad (who was a very good player) was from near Sydney in one of the states where Rugby League is the main Winter sport. There are two forms of rugby, with the most common international game being Rugby Union (All Blacks, Springboks, Wallabies etc). Why there are two forms is a bit complicated but they are both great sports and I'm a fan of all the football codes, including American football.

Realistically New Zealand, England and Australia are the real chances to win the Rugby League World Cup but there is a lot of talent spread around the lesser teams. It kicked off last night with a hard fought Australian win against a gallant England. Perhaps of some interest for some here is that the U.S.A. Hawks are about to play against Fiji in their first game. I won't sugar coat it... they are $17 outsiders but they've done very well to qualify for only the second time.

So good luck Hawks!

Here's the history of the team. Generally these sides have a few blokes who are actually Australian etc but had an American great grandfather or something...but that's part of the fun [;)] There'd also be some corn-fed home-grown boys [:)]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... eague_team

You can follow the game live here...

http://www.rlwc2017.com/live-match-cent ... 0171310140

Cheers, Neilster
Attachments
usa-vs.-jamaica-4.jpg
usa-vs.-jamaica-4.jpg (237.03 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Cheers, Neilster
AndyG1

RE: Rugby League World Cup

Post by AndyG1 »

Rugby League is simply the best game in the world! But I am biased. Born in Halifax UK, one of the oldest clubs in the game (founding club). Living in Australia, NRL is the main sport (Rugby Union very much a minority game). Only Aussie Rules can challenge Rugby League down under! Football (sorry, "Soccer") is a total minority sport here, and the quality is terrible to boot!

Having watched the Australia vs England game last night, I found it a rather poor game - neither side particularly on form. A bloated scoreline at the end (18-4) when it was 10-4 (and at least close) with around 5 minutes to go. Looking forward to seeing Fiji play, big powerful fast men with no fear!!!!!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: AndyG1

Rugby League is simply the best game in the world! But I am biased. Born in Halifax UK, one of the oldest clubs in the game (founding club). Living in Australia, NRL is the main sport (Rugby Union very much a minority game). Only Aussie Rules can challenge Rugby League down under! Football (sorry, "Soccer") is a total minority sport here, and the quality is terrible to boot!

Having watched the Australia vs England game last night, I found it a rather poor game - neither side particularly on form. A bloated scoreline at the end (18-4) when it was 10-4 (and at least close) with around 5 minutes to go. Looking forward to seeing Fiji play, big powerful fast men with no fear!!!!!

Yes. Australian Rules Football challenges Rugby League by being the dominant Winter code [;)]

Soccer was a complete mess here until about ten years ago when they got rid rid of the old ethnically based teams, who hated each other with associated hooliganism, and started from scratch with city based teams. Realistically, the standard is steadily improving, with more and more international players and the future is bright.

I agree that last night's Australia England game wasn't of great quality. Australia wasted opportunities and England defended grimly (and scored first). They will be better for the gallop.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
rico21

Post by rico21 »

France does not present the level to win but as we used to say, be careful we are the ugly duckling![:D]
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: rico21

France does not present the level to win but as we used to say, be careful we are the ugly duckling![:D]
Hey! France defeated England and Wales to win the 1938/39 European Championship! Vichy France led to an unfair discrimination against French Rugby League that it has never really recovered from, as Vichy France associated Rugby League with the pre-war government. So there is a wargaming connection...apart from the endless military sporting analogies in the commentary...but that's...if you pardon the pun...de rigueur [:D]

Yes...beware les Chanteclairs, the cockerel which is the emblem of the team, or les Tricolores!

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I believe there is a correlation between the number of licensees in a sport and its international results. With us apart from football, judo and handball mobilize more talent than rugby.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: rico21

2023[:D]

Return to “General Discussion”