P.T. Boats

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

P.T. Boats

Post by m10bob »

For our friends with a recent interest.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/sh ... ps-pt.html

Trivia...Prior to being sunk, the crew of the P.T. 109 "borrowed" an army 37mm AT gun, removed the wheels, and lashed it to the bow of the boat.

Everybody knew when "the rich kid" was brought in to the hospital on the'canal, according to my uncle Jim, who was there.
JFK was NOT a phony war hero.
Attachments
PT_Boat_El..or_Image.jpg
PT_Boat_El..or_Image.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Leandros

RE: P.T. Boats

Post by Leandros »

Very interesting. Tks for posting! Bulkley's whole book is there, too.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I get a "page can't be displayed message" when I right or left-click on the link. Does that site have the JFK docs just released?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I get a "page can't be displayed message" when I right or left-click on the link. Does that site have the JFK docs just released?
If so, there shouldn't be a problem to open it....[:)]

Fred
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

If so, there shouldn't be a problem to open it....[:)]

Fred
CNN reported websites crashing from all the folks trying to access and download the JFK docs - mostly reporters and conspiracy theorists, I presume!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I remember back in 1992 when Congress passed the law sealing the JFK records until this year. I was working with a guy from Iran who was fascinated with everything JFK and was lamenting he'd have to wait another 25 years to find out what was in those files.

I left 2 years later and he died of a massive heart attack the same day.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Mounting a 37mm flak gun on that plywood speedboat might be enough to sink her (is it ok to address a boat as "she"?) when fired.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

m10bob, you used to have a signature that set my e-set off but no facsimile of that signature appears now. Nonetheless every time I open a thread that you have posted to my eset objects strenuously. Any idea why?

spence

Post by spence »

(is it ok to address a boat as "she"?)

I'm not sure but I think only "English-speakers" give a ship a feminine personality. I was in the Coast Guard and I can't think of any time I heard any boat crew refer to their boat (30 footers, 40 footers, 41 footers, 44 footers as if it was feminine but I'm pretty sure I did hear the crew of an 82 foot PB refer to their boat as a "she".

Incidentally referring to the first sentence of this post I know that a ship is a "he" in both the Russian and German navies. I once asked a Frenchman what the sex of his ship was and he stared at me like I was crazy. The noun bateau is masculine though so I think if a ship has any sex in French it's probably male. Be happy to hear any further thoughts on this topic from the international community to be found here.
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

In the USN, a boat is a vessel a ship carries, ie motor whaleboat, RHIB boat, Zodiac, etc. However, all subs are boats.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
spence

Post by spence »

Do submariners refer to their boats as a "she" or an "it"? ( or a "he"?)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Mounting a 37mm flak gun on that plywood speedboat might be enough to sink her (is it ok to address a boat as "she"?) when fired.
They put it on the foredeck and had to reinforce everything underneath the mount very heavily. I suppose they could have reduced the propellant charge too since the barges were not that heavily armoured and engagement ranges would be fairly close. I saw pics or I would have doubted the claim myself.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: spence
(is it ok to address a boat as "she"?)

I'm not sure but I think only "English-speakers" give a ship a feminine personality. I was in the Coast Guard and I can't think of any time I heard any boat crew refer to their boat (30 footers, 40 footers, 41 footers, 44 footers as if it was feminine but I'm pretty sure I did hear the crew of an 82 foot PB refer to their boat as a "she".

Incidentally referring to the first sentence of this post I know that a ship is a "he" in both the Russian and German navies. I once asked a Frenchman what the sex of his ship was and he stared at me like I was crazy. The noun bateau is masculine though so I think if a ship has any sex in French it's probably male. Be happy to hear any further thoughts on this topic from the international community to be found here.

I think the feminine pronoun is a throwback to the days when British and American sailing ships usually had a female figurehead mounted below the bowsprit for luck, even though the sailors considered it bad luck to have a real woman on board.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: spence

In Spanish ship, barco, is a masculine noun, and all military-class ships (portaavion - aircraft carrier) are masculine. So all pronouns that refer to these nouns are masculine as well. El, lo, etc... . It is not uncommon, however, for Spanish speakers to give their ships female names: Santa Rosa, Santa Isabela, or Nuestra Señora de Calmuchita for example. A ship with a female name can be referred to by either the masculine or the feminine pronoun, depending upon context. For example, it would be appropriate to use the feminine pronoun in Spanish in the following sentence, ¨the Santa Rosa took a full broadside, and she shuddered at the impact.¨

My German and French are very rusty, but I believe that one sees the same usage in these languages as well.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

In the USN, a boat is a vessel a ship carries, ie motor whaleboat, RHIB boat, Zodiac, etc. However, all subs are boats.
Is there not an international rule on this - vessels above 12 m. length, or 50 tons displacement, are formally "ships".
Otherwise, a "boat"?

Fred
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

m10bob, you used to have a signature that set my e-set off but no facsimile of that signature appears now. Nonetheless every time I open a thread that you have posted to my eset objects strenuously. Any idea why?

I am not an IT type but I use Firefox and have an app they offer(free) which will "locate" stuff from the past internet memory banks, even when they no longer "exist" in current internet feeds..Tyler Design used to be the site which offered me the nice B 19 picture, but it is no longer an "active" picture..I suspect this is what you are referring to?

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

It was not the "flak" gun..It was the two wheeled light anti-tank gun..

The thing was capable of firing AP, HE, grape, smoke, etc.
At any rate, they never fired it in combat, and it was literally lashed to the deck with rope.

Attachments
PT 10902.jpg
PT 10902.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 406 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Attachments
pg7.jpg
pg7.jpg (325.89 KiB) Viewed 406 times

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

It was not the "flak" gun..It was the two wheeled light anti-tank gun..

The thing was capable of firing AP, HE, grape, smoke, etc.
At any rate, they never fired it in combat, and it was literally lashed to the deck with rope.

I saw b&w photos in a book on PT boats. Both the A/T guns and a 40mm Bofors. It did not appear that the A/T gun was lashed on deck in the pictures, but the angle was low so it could have been.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

The 109 was exactly as you see it in this pic..It was a "one off" because the crew swiped it from a local Henderson Field unit.

Later, (and you can find many pics), the USN did make a number with 20mm Oerlikon and 40mm Bofors, right off the drawing board.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”