Flashpoint vs. Command Ops?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

BKL

Flashpoint vs. Command Ops?

Post by BKL »

Hello Everyone -

I play Command Modern Air/Naval Operations and I'm also looking for a second game. Trying to decide between purchasing Flashpoint or Command Ops 2. Anyone have advice or thoughts on the differences? I realize this is a Flashpoint forum, so I would expect some leaning towards that game, but it would be helpful if anyone has insight on what they like/dislike between these two games. I am primarily concerned with the differences in style/method of play - which is more enjoyable, why?
BKL
zakblood

RE: Flashpoint vs. Command Ops?

Post by zakblood »

a hard question, as it asks for both opinions on a given subject, when asked on a gaming forum of only one game, so replies maybe subjective to say the least.

but i'll try, honest as ever...

Flashpoint is a all in one game, nothing needed to play or include later on etc which for me is a bonus, as i know what i wanted and got it from the start.

Command Ops 2, is free, the base package, but then you buy only what you wish to play, but can later add on more packages and update the base game to different campaigns etc.

tbh i couldn't do it better than most of what has already been said and printed, so here's the links

tm.asp?m=3528593

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?topic=29.15

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/1 ... red-storm/

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/grog ... 44002/2361

just a few, and there are others, more than these, but these are from the top of the page i searched for, in the order listed, so no preference there either
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Both great. Get them both.

CO2 is my favourite game ever. Nothing compares to it in terms of what the dev is trying to do with the AI, imho. Command level is scaleable, but usually, I've found, you will need to command at Bn level to make it work well. Even so, it's amazing what the AI does for you, and amazing how the enemy AI can often come up with really solid plans and reactions. Some people, however, don't go for this and want to have a more hands-on experience, which you can also do with CO2, micromanaging as much as you like. CO2 seems much less like a board game, to me, more like the kind of experience CMANO aims for too - real time command. The maps are astoundingly good, in my opinion - no hexes, superb historical accuracy and detail. And CO2 is historical, of course. If you have to choose between then this might be a clincher, as Flashpoint is all hypothetical at the moment, so if you go for that then CO2 will not be for you.

But Flashpoint has a really nice rythm to the gaming experience, caused by the we-go mechanics, and you can easily have a real blast with H2H with Flashpoint. The only H2H with CO2 is real-time and that can be hard to set aside time for. I think there's a larger programming team working on Flashpoint, so development progress through the hiccups might be quicker, and this can get to be important, as I'm sure you know. There are always bugs - in both games - both games are always in continuous development.

But, as I said - get them both!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

It also depends on your taste in games. CO is at an operational level, pausable real time, WW2 game. RS is a cold war, turn based WEGO with dynamic turn length, grand tactical level game. Both games are command oriented. You won't be "driving or shooting" each tank. You should check out game play videos from both to see them in action.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
budd

Post by budd »

Both good games. Download the free Command Ops2 Core package and try it out, three free scenarios with plenty of play to decide if its something you'll like.

I have them both.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

CO2 is called "command" for a very good reason, and is different from many wargames. Flashpoint is tactical. I have both. Plus, as budd points out there is a demo. I think everyone should at least try CO2.

But keep in mind I can't think of a more poorly supported game, waiting well over 1.6 years for the next patch. I really don't know what they are doing over there at LnL Games.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I have both, too. I prefer FPCS for the era it covers, also the scale works better for me as well. But they are both good games, get them both [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

I would agree with what Grognerd says. I bought FCRS and Command Ops some time ago. When I first tried FCRS I got my butt handed to me, and was put off by what seemed like my inability to master basic concepts, despite decades of wargame experience. I came back to it after some time, read the forums, and stuck with it, and after a bit decided it was one of the best wargames I have ever played, bar none. Command Ops was the same for me, but I haven't yet gotten to the point where I have spent the time to learn the game well enough to grasp it, but everything points to it being a great game, and what I see now has me hooked.
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”