New Public Beta v02.06.01.00

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

SamSlitherine

New Public Beta v02.06.01.00

Post by SamSlitherine »

Hi Everyone,

The latest public beta for World in Flames (v02.06.01.00) is now available in the Members Area

Please check it out and note any issues within the forum.

[Be sure to read post #8 below. SJH]

Change History:
    Air Operations [ul]
  • Enabled overrun air units to rebase at triple their normal range when overrun. This rule clarification was provided by Harry Rowland (thanks to Michael for reporting this bug and Paul for asking Harry Rowland).
  • Fixed a problem where a minor country’s units (e.g., tactical bombers) were not getting the benefit of surprise when their controlling major power had surprised the targeted minor country. For example, when Germany DOWs Yugoslavia, the aligned-to-Germany Rumanian air units should be doubled when providing ground support on Yugoslavian units in the impulse of the DOW.
  • Fixed a problem with naval air combat when playing without carrier air units and there are no air units on one side.
  • Fixed a problem with naval air combat when deciding about the role of fighter-bombers (fighter of bomber) and there are fighter-bombers from different major powers on the same side. The program now asks each major power to decide about its fighter-bombers. Previously one major power on a side would be asked, but then the second major power wouldn’t have any air units to decide about.
  • Added code so carriers, which have their carrier air component destroyed during an air mission phase over a land hex, abort at the end of the phase instead of waiting until the next naval phase (i.e., naval movement, naval combat, and return to base).
  • Added code to fix problems with carrier air units showing up on the map as being aboard two different carriers - which might not even be in the same port/sea area. The program now corrects that situation by clearing the data that marks a carrier as carrying a carrier air unit, when the carrier air unit is actually aboard a different carrier.
Land Operations
  • For the 2D10 Land Combat Results Table, removed the requirement that for attacking engineers to receive their attacking a city benefit they have to be using their engineer bonus. Now attacking engineers help reduce the defensive 2D10 City Bonus merely by being one of the attacking units. This nmeans they do not have to take the first loss in a combat unless they use the Engineer Bonus to negate a Fort or River/Canal hexside.
  • Fixed a problem where Japan invading Wake Island was causing a US Entry die roll for Japan occupying the Marshalls. Since Japan is already at war with the US under these circumstances, the US Entry action is irrelevant.
  • Added code to avoid a fatal error in land combat calculations after a paradrop has been made. I am not sure why this problem occurred (since I do not have an accompanying saved game), but there was a hole in the CWIF logic which no one had encountered/reported in the past 13 years. I patched the logic hole.
  • Fixed a problem with selecting which land units to disorganize in a land combat when a player changes his mind. Previously, selecting a unit would have unpredictable results as to which unit the program actually processed when changing Disorganized to No Effect or vice-versa.
  • Fixed a problem with the program requesting an additional attacking unit be destroyed - one more than there are attacking units - after the player fiddles around with the No Effect and Destroy buttons.
Naval operations
  • Fixed a major problem (newly created) where ending a subphase of a digression (e.g., naval interception, air support) caused the PHASE to end.
  • Fixed a non-fatal error when loading units from a coastal hex onto naval units which just moved to sea after there was the possibility of a naval interception of the moving naval units.
  • Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when merging convoys.
  • Made a small change in the code for initializing for a naval combat to avoid a fatal error caused by damaged game data.
Production Planning
  • Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error while executing the Production Planning Preliminary phase and the form for that purpose has been closed.
Production
  • Fixed a problem in Production with Retraining pilots causing a fatal error.
Peace
  • Fixed a (newly created) problem with the USSR claiming the Baltic States leaving them neutral instead of conquered by the USSR.
  • Tweaked the correction to conquering Ethiopia when creating a new game so Ethiopia is actually marked as conquered internally.
  • Fixed a (newly created) problem where creating a new game failed when applying the conquest of Ethiopia.
  • Fixed a (newly created in version 02.05.07.02) problem with Conquest at the end of a turn.
  • Fixed a problem with enforced peace leaving hexes in Karelia and Eastern Poland as Axis controlled instead of reverting them back to USSR control.
  • Fixed a problem with determining whether there are USSR units in the Finnish Borderlands. This fatal error was newly created.
  • Fixed a problem where collapsing Vichy France would sometimes move the Axis unit that entered Vichy to the Destroyed Pool.
  • Fixed a problem with Liberating France when Vichy France still exists and there are overrun (by the Ccnquest of Vichy France) Vichy French convoys to split.
  • Added code to avoid the problem of the United States liberating Japan (which was marked as conquered by Germany). The game where this occurred was damaged – somehow.
Supply
  • Fixed a bug where the setting (ON/OFF) for the optional rule Limited Overseas Supply Across Straits was never being referenced. Instead, the setting for Limited Overseas Supply was being referenced in its place.
  • Fixed a problem with Rumania not being able to trace overseas supply through the Black Sea.
  • Fixed a problem with the Polish HQ Rydz not acting as a secondary supply source after he becomes a Commonwealth unit.
  • Fixed a bug in calculating supply (newly created) which was causing an infinite loop. Also reduced the time to recalculate supply when restoring some unusual game positions (from 100+ seconds to 50 seconds).
  • Fixed a problem with a supply source tracing tertiary supply to a secondary supply source under some circumstances.
  • Added some code to avoid a (rarely occurring) fatal error with calculating overseas supply after loading a saved game.
Overstacking
  • Fixed a bug with correcting Overstacking which was generating a fatal error.
  • Fixed a bug in Overstacked hexes where a Partisan unit is overstacked (e.g., it is in a Lake hex that changed from ice back to water after a Weather roll).
Saving/Restoring Games
  • Fixed a problem with restoring damaged games where a carrier air unit is marked as being on a carrier but it is actually in the Reserve Pool. The program now removes its image from the map (leaving it in the Reserve Pool where it belongs). The carrier data is corrected to reflect the fact that the carrier air unit is no longer on the carrier.
  • Fixed a new bug where restoring saved games was removing the second carrier air unit from all carriers that had two carrier air units. This correction also repairs any saved games that have this problem.
  • Added some messages to restoring saved games that report on misaligned carrier air units and carriers. How the carrier data and the carrier air data get out-of-sync is still unknown. These changes correct the data so which units are on which carriers is correct.
  • Added some code to restoring saved games to correct a problem where the data for Naval Moving Stacks (caused by overrun units) is inaccurate. This fix causes the program to stop and process the Naval Abort Queue instead of stopping (permanently) in the Air Transport CAP subphase.
Other
  • Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when displaying the total factor data for a stack of units.
  • Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when displaying the Unit Data panel in the Naval Review Details form.
  • Added a check to avoid an error when quitting the game in the middle of relocating Peacekeepers.
  • Added some checks to avoid an error when quitting the game in the middle of aligning Rumania after the claim for Bessarabia was denied.
  • Added a line of code to avoid a non-fatal error when trying to focus on the Main form when it is not visible.
Cosmetic
  • Improved the Weather Report to show the probabilities of the possible Modifiers and Impulse Advance values for the next weather roll.
  • Changed the minimum amount of a form that is visible (when the saved Screen Layout positions it off the current monitor) from 100 pixels to 300 pixels.
  • Fixed a cosmetic problem with the Spend Surprise Points form that was showing the projected results of air-to-sea combat incorrectly during the anti-aircraft fire subphases.
Head-to-head play
  • Fixed a problem with the game halting at the beginning of the US Entry subphase of the DOW phase.
  • Added some code (primarily for Head-to-head play) that forces the program to skip the US Entry subphase of the DOW phase once the US is at war with all (unconquered) Axis major powers.
  • For the Conquest phase, added code to handle the case in Head-to-head play where units belonging to a major power NOT at war with the conquering major power need to Relocate (air/land units) or Rebase (naval units).
NetPlay
  • Added a line of code to end a digression if the other player has ended the phase/subphase. This problem occurred for Overstacked digressions when only the Allied player had overstacked units.
  • Added code to reset the Activity Limits for the phasing side during the CAP subphase of the Port Attack phase. This will have no effect on games using other modes of play. It handles a case where the non-phasing player processes the Action Choice data very quickly, causing all the Action Limits on his computer to be set to None.
  • Fixed a problem with converting Greenland and Iceland to neutral minor countries (on both computers) after Denmark is conquered.
  • Added some code to avoid displaying the Antiaircraft Fire form after the subphases for using the form have already been processed.
[/ul]

Happy Gaming!
Joseignacio

RE: New Public Beta v02.06.01.00

Post by Joseignacio »

IS it possible to pass from the deployment phase now in Netplay? I have never been able to. While this is not solved all the rest is unimportant to me...
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Thanks for the update. :)
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

IS it possible to pass from the deployment phase now in Netplay? I have never been able to. While this is not solved all the rest is unimportant to me...

Yes. But Netplay still has bugs in it. We got one during naval combat we couldn't pass last week.
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I am gearing up for working on NetPlay bugs.

But at the moment, I am waiting to see if there are major problems with the latest Public Beta.

The next step is to transition the Public Beta to an Official Update release. The purpose of having an Official Update release version is that players who click on the Check for Update button of the opening screen will get the Official Update installed on their computer - without having to go to the Members page or download and install a Hot Patch manually.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

FYI when scrolling around the map a lot with this new beta, holding shift key + scroll wheel to go left/right and scroll wheel for up/down, I'm getting an exception that only allows me to exit the game. This has happened repeatedly across multiple game saves and in different phases I think. I'll try to post a bug report as it's currently happening when choosing actions for major powers as I look around the map to decide my action type. If I avoid much scrolling the game doesn't crash though.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I am gearing up for working on NetPlay bugs.

But at the moment, I am waiting to see if there are major problems with the latest Public Beta.

The next step is to transition the Public Beta to an Official Update release. The purpose of having an Official Update release version is that players who click on the Check for Update button of the opening screen will get the Official Update installed on their computer - without having to go to the Members page or download and install a Hot Patch manually.

Thanks for that input.
Shannon V. OKeets

Some players are having trouble with (old) Map Data files.

Here are the current ones.

Unzip the attached zipped file. Use the files in the resulting folder to replace the ones in Map Data.
Attachments
MapData10262017.zip
(350.72 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Steve

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Could you please post the latest patch attachment here? I am having extreme difficulty getting into members area now for the last few days and cant download from it.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

Could you please post the latest patch attachment here? I am having extreme difficulty getting into members area now for the last few days and cant download from it.
I am reluctant to do that.

Matrix uses Public Betas to make sure that all the associated files (not just the MWIF.exe) are included. There were customers loading the Hot Patches who appear to not have all the updated data files. Using the Public Beta avoids that problem.

Is your problem with the Members Area due to your Login Name/Password? Actually, don't answer that. Ask Customer Support for help. They deal with this kind of problem for customers all the time - for all the games Matrix/Slitherine publish. They should be able to straighten out the trouble quickly.
Steve

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

I am reluctant to do that.

Matrix uses Public Betas to make sure that all the associated files (not just the MWIF.exe) are included. There were customers loading the Hot Patches who appear to not have all the updated data files. Using the Public Beta avoids that problem.

Is your problem with the Members Area due to your Login Name/Password? Actually, don't answer that. Ask Customer Support for help. They deal with this kind of problem for customers all the time - for all the games Matrix/Slitherine publish. They should be able to straighten out the trouble quickly.

That's exactly the problem with being able to log into the members area..this only started to be a problem within the last week or so. I have a CS ticket in, no response other than automated receipt so far.

PS: I was able to get the patch by clicking on the member Area link in the first post of this thread, it bypassed all the log in requirements and took me directly to where I can download it. If I go to the members log-in next to the home link at the very top of the page, that is where I am having serious issues.
npilgaard

Post by npilgaard »

Every time I stop by these forums, the incredible amount of work and dedication from Steve greatly impresses me. Steadily advancing, month after month, year after year. Not many people would be able to do that.

Thanks for the gigantic effort, Steve! :)
Regards
Nikolaj

Return to “World in Flames”