Non-combat experience

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tomamars

Non-combat experience

Post by tomamars »

I simply can't figure this one out: how does one increase experience of non-combat and artillery units and what role do they really play in the game? What is the difference between Japanese non-combat engineer units with experience 40 or 80, all other things being equal? Does one with exp. 80 build thing quicker or what? Is arty with 80 exp. more lethal than same unit with exp. 40? How can player influence it to go up? Thanks for help.
Yaab

RE: Non-combat experience

Post by Yaab »

Engineers with higher exp should build things quicker, though the speed difference between 40 and 80 exp may be smaller than between i.e. 40 and 10 exp. Allied India has some eng units with exp 10 and those guys need the entire war to build anything.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Engineers with higher exp should build things quicker, though the speed difference between 40 and 80 exp may be smaller than between i.e. 40 and 10 exp. Allied India has some eng units with exp 10 and those guys need the entire war to build anything.
Experience of the unit also seems to inversely correlate with effects of malaria and other jungle ailments. More experienced units are not as badly affected - presumably they would know better how to protect themselves.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: tomamars

I simply can't figure this one out: how does one increase experience of non-combat and artillery units and what role do they really play in the game? What is the difference between Japanese non-combat engineer units with experience 40 or 80, all other things being equal? Does one with exp. 80 build thing quicker or what? Is arty with 80 exp. more lethal than same unit with exp. 40? How can player influence it to go up? Thanks for help.

Read s.8.2.1.4 of the manual. Once the national experience level has been reached, the only way to increase experience beyond the national level is to engage in combat and not incur too many destroyed devices as taking replacement devices lowers the experience level.

Experience levels have no impact on construction times. Experience impacts upon the exercise of combat firepower.

Alfred
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: tomamars

Read s.8.2.1.4 of the manual. Once the national experience level has been reached, the only way to increase experience beyond the national level is to engage in combat and not incur too many destroyed devices as taking replacement devices lowers the experience level.

Experience levels have no impact on construction times. Experience impacts upon the exercise of combat firepower.

Alfred

If experience increases construction rates of AFs or Ports than combat should have little to no effect on non-combat units. Units which are non-combat should increase their experience dependent upon building things.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

In the context of LCUs which is the point of this thread, I will repeat what I previously posted.

[center]Experience does not impact on construction time.[/center] 
Experience is an input into the combat algorithms and nothing else.  It doesn't make loading/unloading ships any faster.  It doesn't make repairing aircraft any quicker.  It doesn't aid healing.  It doesn't speed up receiving replacements.  It just doesn't except for combat.

It is not uncommon for posters to regularly refer to combat and non combat LCUs.  Technically that distinction is not precise and its loose employment can mislead inexperienced players to misunderstand the game.  In AE, all LCUs are manoeuvre units.  They are all "combat" units which can participate in combat.  The correct technical distinction is between those LCUs which can initiate combat and those which are support units and unable to initiate combat.

Excluding the special combat rules triggered by terrain, the nature of a LCU's combat participation and the type of attack it can initiate depends on the type of devices it contains.  Some LCUs cannot initiate any type of attack, others can only initiate a bombardment attack, whilst others can initiate a deliberate or shock attack.  All LCUs, including support LCUs, have a degree of firepower which is fed into the combat algorithms.  There are no Red Cross type combat exempt units catered for in the AE combat algorithms.

Alfred

Edit: See post #9 for an indirect combat algorithm benefit
tomamars

Post by tomamars »

LCU experience effects only it's combat performance and nothing else. Got it. Question was also how do you raise it? It's easy for infantry or armor, you survive the fight with not too much losses and exp goes up. Not so for artillery or Hq, at least in my experience. I had artillery fighting in China for entire year, it's starting exp being around 60, losses almost none, inflicting horrible losses on Chinese, and still exp stays the same. In the same time some divisions went from 60-ish exp to 92. Am I missing something here? Would successful defence by arty unit bring exp up if bombardment doesn't seem to affect it? Thanks for the response.
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

Once Objective planning reaches 100, units can use training to increase in experience. Sometimes, it's better to leave the planning objective unchanged even when moving the unit elsewhere for low experience units. Experience from training is limited based on unit nationality. There's a table in the manual. It ranges from 45 to 65.

Non-combat units as you say, probably refers to units that cannot attack. They can still gain experience from defending in a contested hex.
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Post #6 does not spell out an indirect benefit which feeds into the combat algorithms which is provided by experience.

Experience also impacts on the rate of gaining preparation points.  High experience increases the odds of gaining more than 1 preparation point per turn.  This is an indirect benefit as the preparation point level is an input into the combat algorithms when fighting at the objective base.

Alfred

Return to “The War Room”