Replacing carrier planes lost in battle

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

krb3

Replacing carrier planes lost in battle

Post by krb3 »

Can some one explain how carrier planes lost in battle get replaced? For example if you have planes that are "carrier capable" at a base, can the units that lost planes replentish their losses with them with out taking the pilots? Meaning the carrier pilots on ship now have more experience (say 80%) and the carrier capable planes at the base have pilots with 50% experience. I want the pilots with the most experience to get the planes. Can that be done and if so how?

I wanted to get a little more information on OPS other than what's in manual. I've searched the forum but did not really get the answers I was looking for.
Aurorus

RE: Replacing carrier planes lost in battle

Post by Aurorus »

It is the squadron that is CV-capable or CV-trained, not individual pilots. Any pilot in a CV-trained squadron is considered to be CV-trained, even if you transferred that pilot into the squadron today and he was never in a CV squadron before. In order to transfer pilots from a land-based squadron to a CV, go to the pilots screen and send the pilots from the land-based squadron to the general reserve or TRACOM. Then select the CV squadron and "recruit veteran pilot." Then select the pilots that you wish to transfer. In general, it is best to select pilots by characteristics and not individually: i.e. 5 highest experience or 5 highest air-skill. This reduces delay time for transfers. Selecting pilots individually often results in delays of a week or more before they reach their new squadron.

A CV-trained squadron can become CV-capable if it is stationed on a CV for about two months. If you fly it from the CV, especially at long range, before it is CV-trained, it will suffer higher operational losses.

A CV squadron receives replacment planes like any other squadron: from the general replacement pool. This is limited to 12 planes every 7 days. A CV can only take on replacement planes while disbanded at a port or in a port hex with 20k supply and an airfield that satisfies the requirements for replacment planes (size 4, I believe). The exception to this rule is U.S. CVs suppoted by CVEs with replenishment squadrons. U.S. CVE replenishment squadrons will automatically transfer replacement planes to U.S. CVs if the replenishment squadron is on a CVE and is in transfer range of the CV. An AFB can clarify this for you.

I hope this helps.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

It is the squadron that is CV-capable or CV-trained, not individual pilots. Any pilot in a CV-trained squadron is considered to be CV-trained, even if you transferred that pilot into the squadron today and he was never in a CV squadron before. In order to transfer pilots from a land-based squadron to a CV, go to the pilots screen and send the pilots from the land-based squadron to the general reserve or TRACOM. Then select the CV squadron and "recruit veteran pilot." Then select the pilots that you wish to transfer. In general, it is best to select pilots by characteristics and not individually: i.e. 5 highest experience or 5 highest air-skill. This reduces delay time for transfers. Selecting pilots individually often results in delays of a week or more before they reach their new squadron.

A CV-trained squadron can become CV-capable if it is stationed on a CV for about two months. If you fly it from the CV, especially at long range, before it is CV-trained, it will suffer higher operational losses.

A CV squadron receives replacment planes like any other squadron: from the general replacement pool. This is limited to 12 planes every 7 days. A CV can only take on replacement planes while disbanded at a port or in a port hex with 20k supply and an airfield that satisfies the requirements for replacment planes (size 4, I believe). The exception to this rule is U.S. CVs suppoted by CVEs with replenishment squadrons. U.S. CVE replenishment squadrons will automatically transfer replacement planes to U.S. CVs if the replenishment squadron is on a CVE and is in transfer range of the CV. An AFB can clarify this for you.

I hope this helps.

Aurorus is right but I will add one item. VR (replacement squadrons) will also fly replacements from land bases to carriers in need that are within normal range of the base. This can be very useful.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

In order to transfer pilots from a land-based squadron to a CV, go to the pilots screen and send the pilots from the land-based squadron to the general reserve or TRACOM.

Or you could set the land based squadron pilots to group and then select 'recruit veteran pilot', and pull from the group reserve.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

My experience as a US player, land based squadrons can become reserve squadrons for your CVs. This is whether you like it or not (and I never liked it). I was totally flummoxed when air crews and aircraft were transferred from training squadrons to CV squadrons without my permission. The first time that happened my blood was boiling and steam was coming out of my ears. I like to populate my CVs at my discretion, with the aircraft I choose and the air crews I designate. The AI, without my permission, took it upon itself to send unqualified aircrews to combat squadrons. I couldn't believe it had happened, or what measures I would have to take to make sure it never, ever, ever, ever, ever happened again!

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

My experience as a US player, land based squadrons can become reserve squadrons for your CVs. This is whether you like it or not (and I never liked it). I was totally flummoxed when air crews and aircraft were transferred from training squadrons to CV squadrons without my permission. The first time that happened my blood was boiling and steam was coming out of my ears. I like to populate my CVs at my discretion, with the aircraft I choose and the air crews I designate. The AI, without my permission, took it upon itself to send unqualified aircrews to combat squadrons. I couldn't believe it had happened, or what measures I would have to take to make sure it never, ever, ever, ever, ever happened again!
Very simple solution - always play as the Japanese player!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Very simple solution - always play as the Japanese player!

Or keep your training squadrons in the rear where they belong.[;)]

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Banzan

Post by Banzan »

I use the USN replenishment groups for training, too, but i keep them far far away from any CV-group till they are ready to do their job. :)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”