2.5.5.2 Netplay bug

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jesperpehrson

2.5.5.2 Netplay bug

Post by jesperpehrson »

Netplaygame. Manage to setup and advance all the way to combat resolution. The german player activates one combat and when it is time for the russian player to chose what type of combat there is no pop-up. It is not possible to continue playing.

Any ideas?
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
warspite1

RE: 2.5.5.2 Netplay bug

Post by warspite1 »

jesperpehrson??? [X(] Well there's a name from the past [:)] You were here when I arrived - where did you disappear too?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: jesperpehrson

Netplaygame. Manage to setup and advance all the way to combat resolution. The german player activates one combat and when it is time for the russian player to chose what type of combat there is no pop-up. It is not possible to continue playing.

Any ideas?

This is an unexpected one. I and Gerry did test Netplay this week and didn't run into this one when dealing with land combat.
Of course, both players have to use the same version. What you can do is to check the "next entry no.-" which should be the same on both computers before combat resolution (check this in "about the current game").

If that is the case, what might have happened is that the combat resolution form on the Russian computer is behind the detailed map (farfetched, but I've seen it happening).

After that, I'm out of options and can only ask for the two gamesaves to be posted in here (both Allied and Axis gamesave), so Steve can look at it...
Peter
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

jesperpehrson??? [X(] Well there's a name from the past [:)] You were here when I arrived - where did you disappear too?

Well, I have been waiting on a computerized WIF since 1997 or something so the amount of time available and interest have ebbs and flows. My brother and I check in about once a year or two to see if it is playable. This time it even warranted a try.

Good to see you man, we did some good work with the writeups![:)]
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: Centuur
This is an unexpected one. I and Gerry did test Netplay this week and didn't run into this one when dealing with land combat.
Of course, both players have to use the same version. What you can do is to check the "next entry no.-" which should be the same on both computers before combat resolution (check this in "about the current game").

If that is the case, what might have happened is that the combat resolution form on the Russian computer is behind the detailed map (farfetched, but I've seen it happening).

After that, I'm out of options and can only ask for the two gamesaves to be posted in here (both Allied and Axis gamesave), so Steve can look at it...
ask for the two gamesaves to be posted in here (both Allied and Axis gamesave), so Steve can look at it...

Ok will check that out.
The pop-up is nowhere to be found, I have looked everywhere :-P
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well, I have been waiting on a computerized WIF since 1997 or something so the amount of time available and interest have ebbs and flows. My brother and I check in about once a year or two to see if it is playable. This time it even warranted a try.

Good to see you man, we did some good work with the writeups![:)]
warspite1

You too! Good to see you are getting to play MWIF too - (M)WIF appears popular in Scandinavia!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Any ideas?
If you have a saved game from each players - say, at the beginning of the Combat Resolution phase (or even the Combat Declaration Phase), please zip them both and post them here as a Zipped file. The Next Entry #s have to match for the two games. I'll also need to have instructions for keyboard and mouse necessary to reproduce the problem you ran into.

I have been playing with NetPlay since February and haven't encountered this problem. We are up May/June 1941 - Land Movement for Japan (Germany and Italy have already moved).

===
Here is a screenshot of my game with S.

The attack on Vitebsk should be 21+ Assault (2D10). Across the Kerch Straits, +9 Blitz. On Odessa, +17 Assault. On the 3-5 Cav, +19 Blitz. Other attacks will have to wait, ...

Attachments
SSMa..une1941.jpg
SSMa..une1941.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 217 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Attachments
NPGroun..PUSSR.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Attachments
NPGroun..CAPGe.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

We started two new games. First one got stuck when the german player could not advance from the naval air phase.
Second one, the one I have uploaded .zips from reached the same phase again where the german player had declared his attacks and was ready to roll some bones. When he selected a combat where he choses it got stuck waiting for my computer to roll dice and when reloaded and selected a combat where I was supposed to elect what type of combat no pop-up arrived.

We checked versions and next entry, it all lines up according to plan.
What are we doing wrong Steve?
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

We started two new games. First one got stuck when the german player could not advance from the naval air phase.
Second one, the one I have uploaded .zips from reached the same phase again where the german player had declared his attacks and was ready to roll some bones. When he selected a combat where he choses it got stuck waiting for my computer to roll dice and when reloaded and selected a combat where I was supposed to elect what type of combat no pop-up arrived.

We checked versions and next entry, it all lines up according to plan.
What are we doing wrong Steve?
I ran this with the current NetPlay version (comparable to 02.05.07.04) with no problems.

I suspect what you are missing is that there is a series of steps when executing a land combat.

1 - Attacker chooses which combat.
2 - One side (could be attacker or could be defender) chooses Assault or Blitz).
3 - Allied side clicks on Resolve Attack button.
4 - One of both sides may have to decide about losses.
5 - Attacker may get to decide Retreat order when 2 or more defending units retreat.
6 - Attacker may get to retreat defending units.
7 - Attacker may get to advance after combat.

My guess is that #3 is what is being missed by the Allied player.

There are a couple of more possible steps in the sequence regarding Snow units.
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Yes exactly that step, but the allied player is given no opportunity to click on a button to resolve combat.
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

Yes exactly that step, but the allied player is given no opportunity to click on a button to resolve combat.
I didn't have that problem running the saved games you provided. I executed all the land combats, skipping around to run one in the middle, the first one listed, the last one, some that were 21+, some Assault, some Blitz, some with retreats, some with losses on both sides, ...

The Resolve Combat button appeared in all instances after selecting the type of combat (Assault or Blitz).

I don't know what you are (or are not) seeing.[&:]
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Hmm.
I guess it is on our side :-(
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet