Hybrid Counters Ver 2.0 (Ready for Download)

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
sanderz

RE: Hybrid Counters

Post by sanderz »

thanks for the reply, i look forward to the update

cheers
dave123

Post by dave123 »

Hello. I'll say I'm sorry ahead of time for being computer illiterate. Now on to the question :)

I'm really looking forward to using this. I downloaded and got to work the russian one that was made to fix a bug. looks awesome!

I would like to get the rest. I found one link, and lucky I backed up my originals, because it messed up the game (missing files).

SO, is there a link to the whole mod that I could use (hopefully with included instructions)?

I only play PBEM, and only 1939 scenario. I see that all the campaigns have bitmap directories in them, do I only change the 39 one?

Also, I see a bunch of other files, events, scripts. I'm thinking I don't need these as I only want the new unit graphics?

The file I downloaded is: a winrar named. FCB2494CB97D4A90ABCF9E11193710E6

Any help greatly appreciated!
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Hi Dave123,

Please don't copy these files into the main folder where the game is installed. But if you insist, make sure to make a backup of the original files.

The easiest thing to do if you are unsure how to install this Mod is not to install it at all. :)

Instead, download SIPRES "1939 Campaign using Hybrid Counters Mod" available here: tm.asp?m=4342847

His Mod is the standard 1939 Scenario and already contains all the required bitmaps. It also offers better control over the HQ deployments. After downloading that, extract all the files into the Campaigns folder.

e.g. My Win7 PC C:\Users\HimAgain\Documents\my games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns
Your path will have your computer user name instead of HimAgain

Then, when you start a new game, select the "1939 Storm over Europe HQs".
Your PBEM opponent should follow the same steps and download SIPRES campaign MOD too to have the same counters.

That should do it.

I don't normally play PBEM games but I can't imagine that it's anymore complicated than that. If I'm wrong or if someone can provide further clarification please do so.

BTW, The bitmaps downloaded in my Mod from the 3rd post are not required if you use SIPRES campaign Mod. They are meant for you to place in your own custom campaign mod.
Please use this link for a very good tutorial on how to create your own Custom campaign Mod: tm.asp?m=4300169

The fix that you downloaded was to address a unique Windows problem that Cataphract88 experienced.

Please let me know how you make out with this.

Thanks,

Angus

dave123

Post by dave123 »

Thank you for your informative response. I did as you instructed and it works and looks great. This is such a help, as I don't like the 3d icons and this allows me to better see enemy units that are upgraded as such. As you probably have noticed, sometimes you can see the enemy unit, but don't have enough intel to see it's upgraded level (in the vanilla game).

However; this requires starting the custom campaign game. My opponents don't actually know me, and sometimes there is very little communication beyond a "GL" at the beginning of the game (hoping chat boxes get bigger, but that's another issue). Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is no way to get them to start the correct campaign. If I start this one, and post it, I'm guessing it won't work for an anonymous player without the mod. Since I only play PBEM, this negates my ability to use the mod.

Before you say, "sorry, that's life [:)]", please consider that I was able to get the "fixed" file to work. After putting that file in the main game (yes I backed up originals), I can click on 3d icons and even games in progress PBEM show the new Russian icons (I haven't checked that they change as I upgrade). Could I just copy over the bitmap files I need to play this way? That should be a win-win for me, and the opponent could be using vanilla,and it would not matter.

Thanx again for the response and great mod!
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks a lot for the update. [:)]
Richard
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Thanks Richard.

Your continued support has been greatly appreciated.

I'm going to take a step back from modding the counters for a while and try to just enjoy playing the game.
Its been quite the project.

Cheers,

Angus.
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Hi Dave123,

I fully appreciate your situation so I've prepared a document which will help you accomplish your goal of using the Mod while not forcing your PBEM opponent to do the same.

You are on the right track and it is possible to do. Just follow the zipped PDF attachment below to help you with the process. Remember to keep the Backup Bitmap folder handy in case some future patch does not agree with what we've done.

Please let me know how it works out.

Cheers,

Angus.

Attachments
Howtorep..Campaign.zip
(538.55 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
dave123

Post by dave123 »

Great, that did the trick. Makes the game so much better.

Should you decide to tweak this at any point, perhaps you would consider making the strength numbers darker on the allied units. But who am I to complain, I'm sure you
already put a ton of time into this and got nothing in return but thanks.

Well thanks..
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Hello. I bought the new Strategic Commander World at War.

Do you know if your mod will work in the new game? I've gotten to
really rely on your mod, I hope so!

dave,

Hi Dave,

In case anyone else is wondering about the compatibility of this Mod with the new WAW, I'm also posting this reply on the forum.

Sorry, I have not bought this latest version of the game but I can't see it working properly. They must have introduced new units which are not included in the original game.

From what I've seen SIPRES has some pretty spectacular alternatives that you might want to check out. Personally, I prefer just standard NATO counters for normal infantry units. In my opinion, on a cluttered map, they make it easier to spot high value enemy unit build ups. But having said that, his latest efforts are a true work of art.

I can't see myself diving into this project again anytime soon. It simply takes too much time to get all those progressive Tech silhouettes. It would require a lot more research on the Chinese, Japanese and any other new variations that may have been introduced.

Glad that you've enjoyed using them until now.

Cheers,

Angus

cdcool

RE: Hybrid Counters Ver 2.0 (Ready for Download)

Post by cdcool »

Are you making this for World at War also?
If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
HimAgain

RE: Hybrid Counters Ver 2.0 (Ready for Download)

Post by HimAgain »

Hi cdcool,

I’ve not bought the latest WaW version yet, but at this point I would have to say no. I’ve not looked at the new units but based on my previous experience doing all the progressive silhouettes for each Tech upgrade, I’m honestly not prepared to commit myself to devote all the time it would demand.
It took about ten months of obsessive research and late night work to complete this version… and that was after my day job!

I may reconsider it if my situation changes but not right now. Sorry.

I hope you’ve enjoyed using it but I recommend looking at SIPRES’s excellent work as an alternative for WaW.

Cheers,

Angus.
MarkusB1972

Post by MarkusB1972 »

Can someone help me out please?
This goes for any countermod i try to install, incl. this mod here.
The russians never take the new counters, i even paste them anywhere i see them.
Main folder bitmaps, campaign folder bitmaps.
Any file for russian counters that i can find i overwrite with the new counters, but ingame i still have the original counters.
I'm lost

I pasted the counters everywhere, in the main bitmap folder, in each campaign folder as well, i cant even find another folder containing the old sprites and yet russia always ends up with the original sprites, its driving me insane
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Take a look in the campaign folder -- there are sub-folders in there with a set of counters that will overwrite anything in the main folder.

No idea why it works this way, but it does.
MarkusB1972

Post by MarkusB1972 »

ORIGINAL: Philippeatbay

Take a look in the campaign folder -- there are sub-folders in there with a set of counters that will overwrite anything in the main folder.

No idea why it works this way, but it does.

Thats what i have been doing, i went through each campaign folder and pasted the counters in there as well, the campaign folders usually only contain major04 wich is russia, but even when i change those sprites, still only get the old sprites ingame, it seems to defy all logic
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Did you also try pasting them into the main folder?

And are you sure the name of those files are exactly right? Sometimes when you're modding a space creeps into the name of a file and it's almost impossible to detect.
MarkusB1972

Post by MarkusB1972 »

I did paste the new sprites into all folders, main game and campaign folders.
Checked spelling and that was fine as well.
I had this issue before and somehow fixed it, but it reappeared with the 1.15.02 update and now i cant figure out how to fix it again. Oddly enough with World at War and spires sprites i do not have the issue.
Very frustrating
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Hi Markus,

What you’re describing has happened to others as well and then happened to me too while I was troubleshooting the problem. I’m sure you are installing it correctly but it’s a frustrating problem which makes no sense to me.

There was an earlier post (#105 on page 4) where I described what to do in order to overcome this issue. I’m not sure what is causing it but it always seems to affect the Russian units.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Angus.
MarkusB1972

Post by MarkusB1972 »

ORIGINAL: HimAgain

Hi Markus,

What you’re describing has happened to others as well and then happened to me too while I was troubleshooting the problem. I’m sure you are installing it correctly but it’s a frustrating problem which makes no sense to me.

There was an earlier post (#105 on page 4) where I described what to do in order to overcome this issue. I’m not sure what is causing it but it always seems to affect the Russian units.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Angus.

Nothing has worked, but i started to see odd counters from mods i previously used, those showed up even after i completely deleted the game from my harddrive and reinstalled it.
So i installed another copy of the game on my secondary harddrive and tried to mod again and there it worked without any problems.
Very strange, but its all good now thank you
jazjef

Post by jazjef »

Is there still a way to download your counter mod HimAgain? Your silhouette counters are incredible. Thanks!
HimAgain

Post by HimAgain »

Hi Jazjef,

Sorry for the late response but I’ve not been checking this forum lately.

The link to download the Mod is on the 3rd post of this thread. What you should do is try SIPRES Mod which combines my Mod with a way to control the Generals appearance: tm.asp?m=4342847

Since some recent updates something has happened to the folder structure of the bitmap folders. I think that they made them to align the folder structure with the new countries in the expansion game. Unfortunately, though I tried to figure it out I’ve not been able to get it working properly. To be honest with you, I really don’t have any motivation to explorer it any further. It was an incredible amount of work already.

Though I still play the game, I’ve retrofitted the 1.08 update and all works fine again. I’ll live without any further updates.
I combine this with the excellent Bleached Map Mod by PHalen and highly recommend that too.

Cheers,

Angus

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”