any chance for WitP 2 ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

RE: any chance for WitP 2 ?

Post by Yaab »

There are other games out there.

Check "Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead". Gamers say it is even a more complex game than "Dwarf Fortress".
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

Can't it be redone using the same that's already there but with resolutions big enough for today's machines
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I doubt we will ever see the perfect storm of knowledge, skill, time, and drive, again. No matter how much was thrown at it [:(] We are lucky, indeed.

Too true.

I the other thread posted above, I asked for volunteers to see if people with the right skill set would be willing to step up and commit to something that would take 3-4 years minimum.

I got several people willing to help with research, but no one with coding/database/UI design/etc. to offer to assist. This was done to prove a point that a totally volunteer effort was not going to get AE 2.0 off the ground.

People that do have the correct skill sets are out there. And it is very possible that a number of them would be willing to work on a 2.0 project if paid for their time. But the labor costs alone would likely run into the $3-4M USD for a team of 10-15 people for 3-4 years full time.

Like someone said above, a VC angel is needed that does not expect any ROI or profit for the effort. There are likely those people out there too, but are much harder to find [:)]

Needless to say, I am not one [:(]
I did not post in your thread for one reason: I'm already heading down the path of designing a new WW2 Pacific War Game. However, it is a very long path and at the moment it is being done as a hobby, not as a job. I do not expect to post details for years. When the time comes, the people I meet on this site and others will be asked for assistance with Art, research, etc. but the vast majority of the design and programming will be me.
I hope you are young. I wish I could say that I look forward to playing it, but I know I will be long gone by then. I still hoping, yes I am delusional, to play WIF at least once ... [:)]
Pax
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: bazjak

Can't it be redone using the same that's already there but with resolutions big enough for today's machines
According to michaelm, the interface code was written in an old version of DirectX and the changes to upgrade are more extensive than you might imagine given a simple change in resolution. He did not give details, but the door seemed pretty firmly shut. Having never seen the game code, I cannot say.
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I hope you are young. I wish I could say that I look forward to playing it, but I know I will be long gone by then. I still hoping, yes I am delusional, to play WIF at least once ... [:)]
I'm 48 and eligible to retire at 56. When I said it would take years, I meant it. Ideally, the new game will come out shortly after I retire.
RichardAckermann

Post by RichardAckermann »

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey
I'm 48 and eligible to retire at 56. When I said it would take years, I meant it. Ideally, the new game will come out shortly after I retire.

Time does not matter much to me. I'm very patient. Keep up the good work. As you can see, there is much demand for it.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Well, can't you play an old man's game in the meantime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ29Ql3xDhY

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Look ancient. Available at Sotheby's?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I've actually played that [:D]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

still hoping, yes I am delusional, to play WIF at least once ...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

[:-] jacek - why can't you be like normal old folks?

regards,
ropz!

I still have that, its buried somewhere in the house.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

ORIGINAL: chemkid

[:-] jacek - why can't you be like normal old folks?

regards,
ropz!

I still have that, its buried somewhere in the house.
Me too!
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I've actually played that [:D]

I have it too. I thought mine came in the old SPI flatpacks though. Could be confusing the packaging with War in Europe. Oh, and Eagle against the Sun. Got that too.
"I am Alfred"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”