Reverse 4-player AAR.

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

RE: Reverse 4-player AAR.

Post by warspite1 »

The Campaign in the West continues to take a heavy toll in fighter units. Jagdgeschwader 6 barely had time to earn one campaign star before being destroyed.....

Attachments
Jagd6.jpg
Jagd6.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So, that master tactician and all-round military genius Adolf Hitler was right to put his complete trust for a do-or-die offensive in a defensive warfare, infantry expert.... who knew?

The success has clearly gone to von Leeb's head - he can't help but betray his true emotions - he is in sheer ecstasy at the result!

"I'm very happy, indeed I'm in ecstasy at the result..."
Until Adolf sacked him in Russia, that is.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

The amazing thing is that this anti-Nazi - who had never commanded tank forces - was given command of Army Group North in the first place.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

The amazing thing is that this anti-Nazi - who had never commanded tank forces - was given command of Army Group North in the first place.
It's what they say at work - a good manager can manage anything (NOT!).
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer
ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Does anyone have any idea why the armor effect in the last battle was reported as +1.13? Using the rules you are using, shouldn't it simply be +1? MWiF certainly seemed to use just +1, since there was no fractional odds effect, so this is just a cosmetic problem, but it is disconcerting.
I believe ARM div attacked cross the river (0,25:2=0,13).
Ah. In that case, why wasn't there a .113 chance of getting the next higher table? The fractional odds chance was 0.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm curious why the shatter result was not converted to a retreat. Having a flipped corps stuck SW of Strasbourg would strike me as a good thing from the Axis perspective. (Remember that the attacking player chooses where units retreat to.)
I thought I knew how to play this game....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I'm curious why the shatter result was not converted to a retreat. Having a flipped corps stuck SW of Strasbourg would strike me as a good thing from the Axis perspective. (Remember that the attacking player chooses where units retreat to.)
warspite1

I'm not very good at MWIF or indeed wargaming in general. Although, after converting to retreat in an earlier game, I was once told this by someone who is both:

I suggest a new rule you should play with for a while - 'Never convert to retreat!'.

It is almost always better to shatter the units rather than to retreat them.

But to be honest, given my land combat throws in this game (average 4.4 - and that includes an 8 thrown in China) I did not expect success and was rather caught with my pants down when it came. I should have taken more time in calmly deciding, but on seeing the 10 on the dice roller screen I soiled myself and started rocking backwards and forwards in my chair, whilst dribbling uncontrollably and mouthing the word 'wibble'. Rationale thought, even if I was capable of it in wargaming terms kind of went out of the window.

Looking at the map in the cold light of day, yes a retreat to that hex would likely have made more sense.

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

I'm not very good at MWIF or indeed wargaming in general. Although, after converting to retreat in an earlier game, I was once told this by someone who is both:

I suggest a new rule you should play with for a while - 'Never convert to retreat!'.

It is almost always better to shatter the units rather than to retreat them.

But to be honest, given my land combat throws in this game (average 4.4 - and that includes an 8 thrown in China) I did not expect success and was rather caught with my pants down when it came. I should have taken more time in calmly deciding, but on seeing the 10 on the dice roller screen I soiled myself and started rocking backwards and forwards in my chair, whilst dribbling uncontrollably and mouthing the word 'wibble'. Rationale thought, even if I was capable of it in wargaming terms kind of went out of the window.

Looking at the map in the cold light of day, yes a retreat to that hex would likely have made more sense.
Sounds like good advice. [:D]

And in this situation I think it was wise to shatter the defender. A better, safer, choice.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

"always" is not always good advice in war
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

"always" is not always good advice in war
warspite1

How about almost always as per the advice given?

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Dunno. I always completely forget the 'convert to retreat option' until my opponent does it. Then I always forget it again.
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

J/A 40 Allies 5

No DoW or alignments.

Soviet CA picks up ENG from Bulgaria to Black Sea 4-box.

CW sends out a CP to East Coast and North Atlantic.

France sends a ground strike against the tip of the German armoured spearhead. Italian FTR and BF-110 can intercept. France has the D520S in range.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (313.87 KiB) Viewed 54 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: AllenK

J/A 40 Allies 5

No DoW or alignments.

Soviet CA picks up ENG from Bulgaria to Black Sea 4-box.

CW sends out a CP to East Coast and North Atlantic.

France sends a ground strike against the tip of the German armoured spearhead. Italian FTR and BF-110 can intercept. France has the D520S in range.

warspite1

Italian fighters are ordered to the check out the French bomber force seemingly heading for the exposed German armoured columns please.

AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The French scramble their remaining serviceable fighters to protect the bombers.

In their attempts to "check out" the approaching bombers, the Italians pay less attention to their 6 O'clock than is usually considered healthy. They pay the price but not before sending the French fighters packing.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (294.68 KiB) Viewed 54 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

The French pilots almost completely ignore the German XLVI Mechanised Corps, focusing all their efforts on the panzers belonging to XLI Armoured Corps.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (377 KiB) Viewed 54 times
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

China post Nationalist movement.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (522.15 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Tomorrow morning everyone are going to see something they rarely see: succesful French counter attack!
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

Northern China post Communist movement.

Attachments
5China.jpg
5China.jpg (390.37 KiB) Viewed 54 times

-Murphy's war law
Mayhemizer_slith

French tanks leads the first and possibly the last counter attack against German division in Belgium. Current odds are 18:2 +1 Blitz.

Does Germany want to provide ground support? If they do, which plane is flying and where does it land? France can't intercept.

Attachments
5Landcombat1.jpg
5Landcombat1.jpg (352.4 KiB) Viewed 54 times

-Murphy's war law
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry but there doesn't appear to be any commentary on movement. I can see Wavell has moved one hex (so assume the CW have done a Combined) and it looks like no change for the British on the coast, is that right? Did the British use their other two land moves? I presume the French moved their 5-4 southwest and the 4-3 to the west in Alsace. What about French forces in the south i.e. Italian Front please? Have any of these moved? I assume Billotte is in the forest to the southwest but where did Pretelat go? What is the make up of the 3 units in the forest west of the ground struck German armour?

I will be committing aircraft but need to know the full picture to decide which.

Return to “After Action Report”