Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

eu33

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by eu33 »

I don't know if this is due to your mod but on a large map trading is impossible. if pressing on a trade offer made by the AI does not crash the game, it will take about 5 to 10 minutes for the game to react again and open up the trade window.
same goes for when you initiate a trade, minus the crash.

is there a way you can make a lightweight version only with the ability to build state ships ? or a launcher to enable/disable features ? Asking for too much uh ? :(
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: eu33

I don't know if this is due to your mod but on a large map trading is impossible. if pressing on a trade offer made by the AI does not crash the game, it will take about 5 to 10 minutes for the game to react again and open up the trade window.

is there a way you can make a lightweight version only with the ability to build state ships ? or a launcher to enable/disable features ? Asking for too much uh ? :(

Yeah, its the mod. I made all known bases and planets tradable and in late games (which I never get to) on large maps (which I never play on) it causes very long delays on opening the diplomacy trade screen. In the next version of the Bacon Mod I will make this an optional setting in the settings file.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
rongvk

Post by rongvk »

Hi Roger, enjoying reading about all the ways your mod tweaks the base game while we patiently wait for DW2. Very exciting stuff. Also enjoying watching Larry Monte showcase the mod in his latest letsplay.

While tossing the dice a few times for a promising starting position, and trying out new features right off the bat using the editor, I noticed that for some games "science ships" seemed broken: Ctrl+enter did nothing and alt+ctrl+right click only showed 'hold position', in other games the game crashed after a handful of seconds. If it's of any use to you, the following error message pops up:

Error Code:GxHab

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Habitat.IndependantColoniesRecruitAndTrainTroops(Double timePassed)
at DistantWorlds.Types.DoTasks(DateTime time)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_86(DateTime dateTime_7, Int64 long_1, BuiltObjectList builtObjectList_1, Boolean bool_28)
at DistantWorlds,Main.ProgramLoop()

Following this I did a clean install of DWU and only added your mod, and reloaded the save games that were screwy, making sure to press a key after loading is completed, with the same results, so I'm wondering how I managed to break things. Because I liked the map I started several new games "loading an existing as map", again encountering the same problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of the editor?

Also I was wondering if there was a way for you to add a line to BaconSettings allowing for us to mitigate the impact of gravity wells somewhat. While I certainly like the concept of not being able to hyperjump close to stars and the added level of realism and tactics it introduces to the game (especially combined with greater hyperjump inaccuracy), I would personally prefer to e.g. halve the sum of microwave, x-ray and solar radiation. It sounds like something that might be feasible.
Tanaka

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Tanaka »

Wow thanks for all of your work some really great changes and fixes here! I have been wanting this option since day one!

"Added a new command "!nukem" to the shipfinder. Typing this will destroy all ships and bases except for those with a character on board. This is a good way to get rid of all those powerful space wrecks when playing story mode. Note that this is experimental. An early version I had about a month ago seemed to cause crashes in my game about 19-23 years in. I think it was because of orphaned characters when I nuked ALL ships but I have not had a chance to test it out. If you get consistent crashes with a message about character skill level then don't use this. I think it should be OK though."

No more game breaking random super ships!!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: rongvk

Hi Roger, enjoying reading about all the ways your mod tweaks the base game while we patiently wait for DW2. Very exciting stuff. Also enjoying watching Larry Monte showcase the mod in his latest letsplay.

While tossing the dice a few times for a promising starting position, and trying out new features right off the bat using the editor, I noticed that for some games "science ships" seemed broken: Ctrl+enter did nothing and alt+ctrl+right click only showed 'hold position',

You built exploration ships that had at least one lab on then, right? That's what makes them a science ship. Default designs don't have labs.
Science ships take anywhere from 1 to 30 days after being built to be recognized as science ships by the game. Think of this as the time the crew are still unpacking things and getting the labs set up. If you hit ctrl-enter or alt-ctrl+right click before this time you won't see the science ship options.

in other games the game crashed after a handful of seconds. If it's of any use to you, the following error message pops up:

Error Code:GxHab

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Habitat.IndependantColoniesRecruitAndTrainTroops(Double timePassed)
at DistantWorlds.Types.DoTasks(DateTime time)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_86(DateTime dateTime_7, Int64 long_1, BuiltObjectList builtObjectList_1, Boolean bool_28)
at DistantWorlds,Main.ProgramLoop()

Following this I did a clean install of DWU and only added your mod, and reloaded the save games that were screwy, making sure to press a key after loading is completed, with the same results, so I'm wondering how I managed to break things. Because I liked the map I started several new games "loading an existing as map", again encountering the same problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of the editor?

The only thing I did to the independent empire was to increase the troops they build as per the baconSettings.txt file. You can always tell is my code is being called by looking at the stack trace since all of my classes are prefixed with the word "Bacon". I'm not sure what the issue is here but it must have been something you did with the editor. Do you remember what you did? I've actually only used the editor once and that was years ago.
Also I was wondering if there was a way for you to add a line to BaconSettings allowing for us to mitigate the impact of gravity wells somewhat. While I certainly like the concept of not being able to hyperjump close to stars and the added level of realism and tactics it introduces to the game (especially combined with greater hyperjump inaccuracy), I would personally prefer to e.g. halve the sum of microwave, x-ray and solar radiation. It sounds like something that might be feasible.

Try one game all the way through with the gravity wells as they are. By mid game you will find that for most of your ships they only occupy the middle third of most systems. With faster sublight engines and the pathing improvements I made in the last path you will barely notice the gravity wells.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Wow thanks for all of your work some really great changes here! I have been wanting this option since day one!

"Added a new command "!nukem" to the shipfinder. Typing this will destroy all ships and bases except for those with a character on board. This is a good way to get rid of all those powerful space wrecks when playing story mode. Note that this is experimental. An early version I had about a month ago seemed to cause crashes in my game about 19-23 years in. I think it was because of orphaned characters when I nuked ALL ships but I have not had a chance to test it out. If you get consistent crashes with a message about character skill level then don't use this. I think it should be OK though."

No more game breaking random super ships!!

I'm glad you like it. That description was a long time ago and I can confirm that it works and doesn't cause any crashes. There are some game events that can still spawn the occasional ship but they won't be the super ship relics that litter so much of the game in story mode.
If you are playing story mode and thigns are going too easy for you remember that I also have commands to spawn the shakturi whenever you are ready for them. :)
eu33

Post by eu33 »

Hello again !

I am in a precarious situation here: I can't play this mod fully because of the trading issue and i can't play without this mod either!

What am i to do ? nothing, until baconmod is updated ?
Any time frame for the update?
Sorry for being selfish ! :(
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Hello again !

I am in a precarious situation here: I can't play this mod fully because of the trading issue and i can't play without this mod either!

I'm targeting Friday for the next update. I might be able to get it out sooner but I'd like to do a little testing.
There is a small bug in the current release where if you refit a science ship and remove the labs it will still let you pick research for it. It won't actually DO any research though so its a small bug. I'm fixing that but I need to make sure I don't create any null reference situation when doing so.
eu33

Post by eu33 »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

I'm targeting Friday for the next update. I might be able to get it out sooner but I'd like to do a little testing.
There is a small bug in the current release where if you refit a science ship and remove the labs it will still let you pick research for it. It won't actually DO any research though so its a small bug. I'm fixing that but I need to make sure I don't create any null reference situation when doing so.

Thank you for the update. i will survive another 5 days. it is worth waiting for your mod.

Good night !
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Hello again !

at which kind of "trading issue" do you refer ?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

at which kind of "trading issue" do you refer ?

Yeah, its the mod. I made all known bases and planets tradable and in late games (which I never get to) on large maps (which I never play on) it causes very long delays on opening the diplomacy trade screen. In the next version of the Bacon Mod I will make this an optional setting in the settings file.
Scorten

Post by Scorten »

Does this mod work with Retreat's "Unleashed Extended II + AI orders"? Also does it decrease performance?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Scorten

Does this mod work with Retreat's "Unleashed Extended II + AI orders"? Also does it decrease performance?

I'm currently using it with the Unleashed mod, so yeah its fine with that. I don't know "AI Orders" mod. If you mean Iceman's improved AI mod that one is just optimizing the ship design templates I believe so it will work fine with that too.
It does not decrease performance except the diplomacy screen can take longer to open on large map late games due to the fact that ALL known bases and planets are added to the trade items list. I'm making that optional in the next version due out later this week.
rongvk

Post by rongvk »

The only thing I did to the independent empire was to increase the troops they build as per the baconSettings.txt file. You can always tell is my code is being called by looking at the stack trace since all of my classes are prefixed with the word "Bacon". I'm not sure what the issue is here but it must have been something you did with the editor. Do you remember what you did? I've actually only used the editor once and that was years ago.

I like to manually remove independents and world destroyers from the start of the game and take a quick peek to check the distribution of AI empires while I do so. I guess the lack of independents is what must've broken it.

Try one game all the way through with the gravity wells as they are. By mid game you will find that for most of your ships they only occupy the middle third of most systems. With faster sublight engines and the pathing improvements I made in the last path you will barely notice the gravity wells.

I will! Thanks for the advice. My next game will be as Ackdarians, they ought to be zipping along the void plenty fast in no time. Looking forward to future updates. I'll just play a straight up no-editor game this time

I should note that in some games I also had science ships which I could see accrued science points as evidenced by the pop up window after pressing ctrl-enter but did not show the research dropdown menu upon alt-ctrl-right clicking and conversely in other games science ships who did show the research dropdown menu but did not seem to accrue research points.

That might be down to that month long box unpacking window I guess.
Scorten

Post by Scorten »

I'm currently using it with the Unleashed mod, so yeah its fine with that. I don't know "AI Orders" mod. If you mean Iceman's improved AI mod that one is just optimizing the ship design templates I believe so it will work fine with that too.
It does not decrease performance except the diplomacy screen can take longer to open on large map late games due to the fact that ALL known bases and planets are added to the trade items list. I'm making that optional in the next version due out later this week.

I've tried it with the Unleashed Mod and unfortunately a lot of the text gets cut off or overlaps with e.g. resource icons. :(
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I've tried it with the Unleashed Mod and unfortunately a lot of the text gets cut off or overlaps with e.g. resource icons. :(

Hmm... I must have been thinking of a different mod. I'll have to check when I get home. Maybe I'm using the DW Expanded Universe and not Extended one.

If the text is overlapping, try setting shadow=false in the baconSettings.txt file. That's the only place I changed the font size. Also, what resolution are you playing on?
Scorten

Post by Scorten »

The mod pack I'm using is called "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders". It can be found in a thread in this subforum. It's called "Unleashed Extended I & II" by mordachai.
I have a 27" 1920x1080 display if that helps.. I'll try setting shadow to true and report back :)

EDIT: Set shadow to true, font looks uglier now but doesn't overlap with icons anymore.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

EDIT: Set shadow to true, font looks uglier now but doesn't overlap with icons anymore.

Yeah, that's DWU default setting. Ugly.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I'm planning on getting the next version of the mod out this Friday, Over the next couple of days I'll post my progress. Here's the first item that I've very happy to announce which will be in hte next version.

No More 'Press Any Key'
Queue Homer Simpson saying "Where's the Any key?"
I've found a way to initialize the BaconSettings without any input from the user. So as soon as the saved game loads (or new game starts) the settings will be read in. This is a big issue because I know ther ewere still people pout there not hitting a key and I suspect this is the cause of the few rare bugs that remain (like ships stuck in a loop).

Pressing 'A' will now toggle automation for the selected ship. Previously in only turned automation on but wouldn't turn it off.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

Awesome.

Return to “Design and Modding”