How to push supply to the forward troops?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Fred98

How to push supply to the forward troops?

Post by Fred98 »

I have advanced and the forward troops have advanced outside the supply net.

How can I move the supply net forward to put those troops into supply?

r6kunz

RE: How to push supply to the forward troops?

Post by r6kunz »

Joe,
It depends on the scenario and the designer's interpretation of the historic situation.

The supply network is the rail net. When RR repair units are included in the scenario one must carefully manage their repair activity. In some scenario a Supply Unit is available. It does not have inherent supply but if it has a link to a supply center it can extend the supply network.

Lastly, many times an army in hostile territory, such as the Germans pushing deep into the Soviet Union, simply outran their supply lines. Ask yourself "what would Patton do in autumn 1944?"

cheers
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I am playing the Korean scenario but I was hoping for an answer that covers all scenarios.

So, either repair railroads with railroad repair units or else move forward a supply unit if it is available.

Is there a third option?

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You might want to watch the video if you hadn't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVdL9ukZa8
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I have seen that before and I watched it again.

So I presume that I have a supply point ahead of me somewhere. The video said I cannot see any supply point occupied by the enemy.

It also means I cannot advance any further. So, I'll give up and try another scenario.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

The answer for how to push forward your supplies in the Korea 50-51 scenario (as the North Koreans) is to advance your rail lines. You have probably already figured out that when you capture RR lines you have to repair them to use them as RR for rail moves and supplies.

Unfortunately the NK only has one rail repair unit. Its other engineers have no rail repair capability. This and the lousy terrain the the NKA is bound to out run its supplies if they move anywhere near fast enough to kick the UN out of Korea before to many of their reinforcements arrive. Historically the NKA was at the end of its rope supply wise even before the Inchon landing behind them.

In many scenarios you have to let some units linger in areas of higher supply to accumulate cohesion and supplies. Using only necessary units to take positions of kill units (or lowering the intensity of loss settings) will conserve supplies.

TRy playing the Italians OR the Greeks in the Greece 1940 scenario. It seems like large parts of both armies wind up using rocks for weapons and food.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”