New to the game - conducting para drops?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rocketman71

New to the game - conducting para drops?

Post by rocketman71 »

Currently playing the "Decisions in Ukraine" scenario as the Soviets. Can't figure out how to make para drops. I have tried the method in both the manual and the revised manual, but can't get the appropriate window to open. Does the para unit need to sit atop of a certain air base unit? I play 1.11 beta version.
thedoctorking

RE: New to the game - conducting para drops?

Post by thedoctorking »

Here's some advice I got recently when I asked the same question:

Go to this Matrix post, it is most excellent post on para drops. 5 stars on the write up & you will be golden on para drops.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4329540
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I especially liked the magic words necessary to make it work. Obviously other people have trouble making everything work as it should. [:D]
Nuklearius

Post by Nuklearius »

Compared to games like Hearts of Iron this interface is really... unintuitive. Doesn't help that half the time stuff doesn't work because of some hidden game rule that was added after a specific patch.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Nuklearius
Compared to games like Hearts of Iron this interface is really... unintuitive. Doesn't help that half the time stuff doesn't work because of some hidden game rule that was added after a specific patch.

I agree that I think the developers have made a false economy by not replacing the guy who did the manual updates as it would have to hurt their sales. There is an updated condensed rules on these forums. And all the changes are included in the change notes that accompany the software although it means you do have to hunt your way through all of them. And usually there are people on the forums who are happy to help find them.

That said the interface for para drops, even knowing the rules, is particularly awkward. Luckily para drops are not a regular repeat thing every turn though.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”