Gaming article on micro transactions?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Gaming article on micro transactions?

Post by demyansk »

This article talks about a few games in particular and the in game process of buying items.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3231668 ... aming.html

chemkid

RE: Gaming article on micro transactions?

Post by chemkid »

demyansk

Post by demyansk »

No problem, I never buy that stuff in the games. Therefore, I don't buy them
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I don't buy the season passes and all that crap. Usually on those games, I wait a really long time and then buy the whole thing at a much reduced price. Microtransactions suck ass.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

You got that right, I do the same thing
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I buy game currency in several online games, my position is simple, I buy a new game it costs 60 to 90 bucks I play it for a couple months then I quit playing it. I spend 50 bucks on game currency for a game I have been playing for years and enjoy myself for years. Of course I only buy from the game itself. No third parties.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I will say I have recently started playing Everquest again on one of their progression servers that will stop at a certain point. I have bought in game currency to buy EXP potions. I'd rather do that than slog out the grind of exping without the potions.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I used to be one of those Loot Whores [:'(] I sold stuff for Diablo on Ebay, and made hundreds, if not a few thousand. Made a business on SWG (I was HUGE), and sold credits, made thousands ( just a few thousand, but more than 1 [;)] ). People pay this, and have for a long time. It's a mind set. Mostly Asian, just from the people who paid me. But I could be way off, there. All these companies are doing is commercializing what private individuals have been doing for years.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

All these companies are doing is commercializing what private individuals have been doing for years.
Ooh! That is a point right there! I'm not buying though. And when I buy a game, I may as well buy it with all the expansions and DLCs all at once.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

One last thought. I was looking forward to Shadow of War because I enjoyed the first one, but hearing about loot boxes and micro transactions in the game has soured me on buying it at release. I'll be waiting now.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I get on average a new pack of Hearthstone cards every second day. The key is playing the daily quest, get a new one each day. Get the coin from the quests. Buy your cards with in-game coin, and don't spend real money.

I never play past rank 20, not required to enjoy the game. Beating a rank 20 player is as fun as beating a rank 10 player. Winning is winning.

The game offers periodic new adventures. They can be fun for new cards.

The real challenge in Hearthstone is just being the first to match up some goofy new combination of cards. And no amount of money will make you a smart player.

I tend to cheat, I let my very skilled son tell me the current killer combos :)

Often the quests don't require a win. They require doing X a certain sum of times. Often those just require a goofy nonsensical deck. And it is often fun to win with a dumbass combo that normally wouldn't be taken seriously.

Hearthstone, for whatever one wants to think of it, is the best game I have ever played in any genre at all and does human vs human better than anything I have ever played. It's balanced, and your chances to win are always entirely based on your skills and not your wallet. I like that I was able to sign up as my first name. I only use the base card back. I like to have the opponent think "oh newbie" and then get trashed by some girl :)

It takes a new account a while to slog through the process of gaining all the acquired cards of course. But it is a fun process too.
Starting fresh today, a person will have several adventures to play, and scores of classes to level up and oodles of cards to win.
And the game is generous to new accounts.

For a long time account, a new set just means you get to play a month of really neat new card acquisitions. It's not hard, and those spending actual money are probably spoiled rich people or losers in my view. Most of the cards I get in new packs lately are 'yawn, already have that'.

The game is always evolving, they rotate old sets out and new sets in. Nothing remains the same long.
It's free to play, so really, Hearthstone can't be considered a bad value, it doesn't have to cost you a cent to play it.

I think the Hearthstone method should actually be the norm. If a game is any good at all, you shouldn't need to sell the core program at all.

These days, the only reason I go to the local EB Games is to buy toys :) To me, the future of game stores is as toy stores. And to look at the store layout, they are more than halfway there now.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Return to “General Discussion”