The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

To my knowledge, overstacking has no direct negative impact on combat. The only indirect impact would be on supply draw (units without full supply attack or defend at reduced AV).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

12/24/44

Fancy Pants: Strong daytime raid against Kagoshima sets 160k fires.

Allied army moving towards Shanghai.

Important attack tomorrow in the mysterious hex where good Allied units underperform expectations yet seem certain to eventually achieve victory.

Attachments
122244FancyPants.jpg
122244FancyPants.jpg (843.42 KiB) Viewed 94 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

To my knowledge, overstacking has no direct negative impact on combat. The only indirect impact would be on supply draw (units without full supply attack or defend at reduced AV).
It also was eventually clarified that it has direct effects on fatigue and disruption. Not sure about behind the scenes combat penalties but I wouldn't rule it out completely.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It also was eventually clarified that it has direct effects on fatigue and disruption. Not sure about behind the scenes combat penalties but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

It is not just an increased "static" supply consideration which results from overstacking. Combat in the hex will further magnify the logistical burden. The supply required number is only determined on the recent historical activity, not on the future activity of the unit.

Overstacking a hex produces a random 1-5 increase in fatigue and disruption.

tm.asp?m=2915927&mpage=1&key=stacking%2Climits

I don't see why the 5th Marines have been singled out for specific mention. All the LCUs in that hex are affected. The Combat Report does not identify the individual impact on each unit. That the threshold for disclosing a fatigue/disruption malus in the Combat Report was not triggered is not in itself evidence that the final adjusted AV was not reflective of the aggregated overstacking impact.

Alfred
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Thank you Alfred. You are always a font of wisdom.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Folks that pop in now and then will have missed the long progression of this discussion. I had observed - not scientifically but casually and with interest - that 5th Marine Div. seems to consistently perform under expectations. This began a month or more back when the division attacked and drove back an enemy stack. Usually, when that happens, the effect on the battered enemy stack snowballs, so that each successive catching and attacking of that stack gets easier and more destructive. But the opposite happened - the battered enemy stack seemed to get more stout and 5th Marine Div. always seemed to underperform. This was in a variety of terrain, usually under stacking limits, and always in stacks that greatly outnumbered the beat up enemy. There could be a million reasons, as there are about as many variables. That's why I wasn't trying to figure it out. It was just something interesting and contrary to what I usually see.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I have read the entire AAR, I just started recently. I did not comment much until I caught up entirely. I still do not comment much unless I do know what I am commenting on.

I remember when you posted about the 5th Marine Division and it started in China. But there could also be other factors "under the hood" as far as infantry vs combined arms combats in various terrains.

― Julia Child

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I typically see heavier than usual casualties from pure bombardment combats when I am overstacked.

Enemy stacks that typically wouldn't be causing me any casualties to speak of instead cause regular losses every turn as long as I am overstacked.

Hans

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

12/23/44

Fancy Pants: Attack west of Hangchow yields poor results. So it's time to address the overstacking situation. One of the divisions departing will be 5th Marines, which will bread down and rebuilt at some point soon.

Allied army advancing on Shanghai in good order.

Death Star again at sea and should rendezvous E of Wenchow tonight.

Attachments
122344FancyPants.jpg
122344FancyPants.jpg (788.01 KiB) Viewed 94 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Where are your Command HQs and what targets are they prepping for?
[center]Image[/center]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Why in the world even fight in that 5th Marines wood rough hex? The path to the east is open with the conquest of Hangchow...

Figure out a way to cut the rail line above Nanking, and go east, young man.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Why in the world even fight in that 5th Marines wood rough hex? The path to the east is open with the conquest of Hangchow...

Figure out a way to cut the rail line above Nanking, and go east, young man.

Like most everything in AE, I didn't set out to do things here the hard way or harder than need be.

5th Marine Division and 5th Indian Division landed at Foochow and, over the course of weeks, pushed an steadily weakening enemy stack far into the interior (though it wasn't easy, as I've noted above). Eventually, they reached the main road linking Shanghai and Changsha. While other units turned left to deal with several key bases, these units turned right to make for Hangchow. They pushed in front of them some beat up enemy units. The road system is rather odd and restrictive. And even when they arrived in this hex, the enemy opposition appeared pretty fragile - big units ready to get torn to pieces.

Rather than back up and go a long way around, I elected to try to shove the battered enemy units out of the way. Knowing that 2nd and 3rd Tank Divisions would be trashed in the doing, it all made sense.

But things have bogged down more than expected now. I think it's 3rd Tank Div. that's giving me fits even while my two 5ths aren't performing as robustly as I keep thinking they should.

So the question seems easy at first blush: Hey, what's 5th Marine Div. doing up here battling in this far-flung hex?

The answer is much more complicated but makes sense, at least to me.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Where are your Command HQs and what targets are they prepping for?

14th Army HQ is 100% prepped for Canton and located nearby. It'll be within range when the time comes to reduce and attack this key base.

Southeast Asia HQ is at Saigon and 50% prepped for Singapore. It'll be ready when the time comes. (Previously it was 100% prepped for Saigon, and served well in that campaign.)

One of the American command HQs is 100% prepped for Hangchow and is stationed at Ningpo. It's time to figure out a new prep target - probably one of the bases in Korea.

I don't know where the other American command HQs are at the moment. I've lost track of them. It tried to find Southwest Pacific HQ and couldn't. It was destroyed on Sumatra, but I thought I long ago would have rebuilt it. But my filter doesn't show it in the game.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Where are North, Central, and South Pacific HQs? Teamwork them up with Corp/Army HQs should allow to get the big adjusted AV to blow through his major bases.
[center]Image[/center]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I took a census of the US command HQs.

NoPac is at Dutch Harbor prepped for Bihoro, Hokkaido.
SoPac is at Manila and prepped for Keijo, Korea.
Pacific is at Taichu and prepping for Taichu.
SWPac was destroyed and never rebuilt.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I thought that SWPac would have automatically been rebuilt. Did you check to see if you can rebuild it now? If not, then it would be a good idea to have even just one support unit from a HQ somewhere safe.

― Julia Child

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I thought that SWPac would have automatically been rebuilt. Did you check to see if you can rebuild it now? If not, then it would be a good idea to have even just one support unit from a HQ somewhere safe.
I imagine you can buy it back??
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

There are only 4 Allied HQs which can't be resurrected.  SouthWest Pacific is not one of them.

Alfred
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

12/24/44 and 12/25/44

Usually I post for every turn, but yesterday got away from me. A good friend's husband died too young and unexpectedly, so I spent a good bit of the afternoon on her back porch, reminiscing with her and her family.

Fancy Pants: Christmas Eve and Day were fairly uneventful, as Death Star prepared for action. I moved most dive bombers to land, their places taken by fighters. DS is configured mostly, but not completely, for defense.

At Shanghai, my bombardment TFs have functioned without incident (mines, shore guns) and are inflicting decent damage. The air force is also messing up the ground troops better than expected, given the terrain. I think I detect a systemic weakness here. Something is slightly off with John's defenses. Perhaps Shanghai won't be the everlasting, prolonged booger that I had expected. Probing bombardment tomorrow will tell me more.

Lots of things in the works tomorrow: Big and complicated strategic bombing raids vs. Matsuyama - sweeping Corsairs and raiding Avengers and Superforts.

And a key attack in that oddly difficult hex west of Hangchow. Fingers crossed there.

And, beneath it all, a strong feeling that John is prepared to pounce some place or places....and soon.

Attachments
12242544.jpg
12242544.jpg (869.17 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I have often contemplated a correlation between shore bombardment effectiveness and ship range to target and back to home port.

There is something that tells the Captains how much ammo to use, sometimes it is a quick bombardment, and other times the ships fire almost every round from their forward guns.

Relative strength assessment, range to port for rearming, air power comparisons, dl on the base, size of the runway, forts, troops present (esp cd guns), target priorities at the base, local troops at the base, bombardment versus invasion (this one for sure).

Sorry for your loss.

Return to “After Action Reports”